Send Topic Print
porting the intake? (Read 27 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
porting the intake?
04/21/07 at 12:34:13

Does the intake have the same restrictions, i.e pressure drops, as the exhaust?

if you over port the intake are there any problems? THis is flow problems not damaging the head.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: porting the intake?
Reply #1 - 04/21/07 at 13:35:01

There's a lot of discussion on this area....flow, swirling, etc.

I polished mine up to the split and left it alone.  All in all, I don't think much can be gained.  The total intake area is still greater than the combined intake valve area...and besides, what goes in must go out.  The exhaust valves are smaller.

I could be wrong...???

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 04/21/07 at 15:37:43

No, I don't think you're wrong Greg!  The most improvement that can be made on this, and most other stock heads is the exhaust side.  I've heard of guys using stainless intake valves on the exhaut side in American V-8's to gain "free power".  Problem has been that intakes are not designed to handle the heat an exhaust valve can...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 04/21/07 at 19:39:45

Think about the pressure difference on the intake side, somewhere from O -15 PSI depending on the throttle opening. about 5 at idle and almost 15 at WFO. The exhaust has about 4 times the compression value for pressure at peak lets say 150 x 4 = 600 PSI, so the pressure difference across the exhaust will be much more even as the piston approaches BDC . Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/21/07 at 19:49:29

Then maybe the best thing to do with the intake would be to swirl & texture it so as to create as good an atomizor as possible & avoud smoothing it so much thet it creates droplets of gasoline on the walls? Is there some preffered ratio of intake area to valve area? Does it take Voodooo or just plain Majikk?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/21/07 at 21:17:11

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Think about the pressure difference on the intake side, somewhere from O -15 PSI depending on the throttle opening. about 5 at idle and almost 15 at WFO. The exhaust has about 4 times the compression value for pressure at peak lets say 150 x 4 = 600 PSI, so the pressure difference across the exhaust will be much more even as the piston approaches BDC . Max

Good point too.  That little thing about ignition and "Bang" does change the pressures a good bit.  Basically you have a helluva lot more velocity going out the exhaust side tooTongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/21/07 at 21:21:01

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
No, I don't think you're wrong Greg!  The most improvement that can be made on this, and most other stock heads is the exhaust side.  I've heard of guys using stainless intake valves on the exhaut side in American V-8's to gain "free power".  Problem has been that intakes are not designed to handle the heat an exhaust valve can...

"Free power".  Hmmm.  Think I got it.  Never heard it before though (haven't done much automotive like that).   You mean actually porting the head with equal size intake and exhaust valves?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 04/22/07 at 03:39:56

Quote:
You mean actually porting the head with equal size intake and exhaust valves?

Yes.  Although, getting a cam with a bigger exhaust lift and longer duration (exhaust only) can accomplish similar results and is cheaper/easier.  You just can't duplicate the low RPM performance of a bigger exhaust valve with a smallish intake valve.  If you reach your upper limit of lift and duration though, and have to get more exhaust out, then a bigger valve is your only choice.  There are porting techniques which can help with any given size valve, but I don't know much about that...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 04/22/07 at 03:44:24

BTW, anyone know what size intake and exhaust valves our Savages have?  I know Lancer already posted the stock and Lancerized cam specs...

You liked that didn't ya....Lancerized Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/22/07 at 06:56:50

Now what did I do with those measurements?  Hmmm..

Here they are...

Intake = 33 mm or 1.3"
Exhaust = 28 mm or 1.1"

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 04/22/07 at 07:48:03

The way that head is milled, you can't make round valves any bigger.  Sure, there's room to the inside, but not on the outside.  You could switch to oval valves and get LOTS of extra capacity on the Savage head.

If you started from scratch on this head, it would be no problem to use the same 1.3" intake and exhaust valves.  The center of the exhaust valves would have to move inboard however, creating other "problems" to fix.

With such close sizes, I'd just go with a cam grind with the same intake lift and duration, and get exhaust lift and duration to match or exceed it...  I wouldn't think it'd be worth the trouble to change valve sizes.

Total valve area is 1.9 square inches exhaust, and 2.65 square inches intake.  

(compared with 2.01 square in. exhaust and 3.2 square in. intake area per cylinder for a high performance chevy 350 w/2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust)  

Translation:  The Savage has more exhaust capacity and less intake capacity for its engine size than a HO chevy 350.

IMHO, the best cam grinds have equal intake and exhaust lift, and longer exhaust duration for the way I like to drive/ride...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/22/07 at 08:14:45

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The way that head is milled, you can't make round valves any bigger.  Sure, there's room to the inside, but not on the outside.  You could switch to oval valves and get LOTS of extra capacity on the Savage head.

If you started from scratch on this head, it would be no problem to use the same 1.3" intake and exhaust valves.  The center of the exhaust valves would have to move inboard however, creating other "problems" to fix.

With such close sizes, I'd just go with a cam grind with the same intake lift and duration, and get exhaust lift and duration to match or exceed it...  I wouldn't think it'd be worth the trouble to change valve sizes.

Total valve area is 1.9 square inches exhaust, and 2.65 square inches intake.  

(compared with 2.01 square in. exhaust and 3.2 square in. intake area per cylinder for a high performance chevy 350 w/2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust)  

Translation:  The Savage has more exhaust capacity and less intake capacity for its engine size than a HO chevy 350.

IMHO, the best cam grinds have equal intake and exhaust lift, and longer exhaust duration for the way I like to drive/ride...

As you state...I'm pretty sure that the "Lancerized" Hard Chrome cam grind has the same lift and duration for the intake and exhaust.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 04/22/07 at 11:11:14

velocity....
www.mototuneusa.com
this guy  D fills his ports.interesting theory, and he gets results!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/22/07 at 14:08:52

Interesting concepts, and some bull...

If his engines were so sought after he could charge any price, yet he's running a website,  and selling subscriptions like all the rich realestate molguls on tv.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 04/22/07 at 21:43:50

Well there's been classic cases where D ports worked far better than O - the case of the 351 Cleveland factory 4-bbl heads we had ship'd to the US from the Aussies - see ford never sold such a thing in the US. Great big dang valves and ports - turned out the exhaust port was too big for lower rpms if you had the least bit of over lap on the cam - the D port plates made a big difference.

On the intake side much work is done around swirls and such - but also the velocity of the intake mixture - you want it as big as you can get it until the intake velocity slows down - then it's too big -  the cam overlap effects it as well - anyone have a flow bench handy?  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:22:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › porting the intake?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.