Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HELPPP! tranny problem (Read 15 times)
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

HELPPP! tranny problem
04/20/07 at 19:07:38

BROTHERS, helpppp
my bike is stopped working i heard wat i thought was clutch chattering everytime i got on the clutch and then eventually the bike would go no where even wen i kicked it into gear. I changed clutch and still no luck
symptoms:
-the bike starts up fine,
-the bike clicks down into first from neutral all right, wen i release the clutch n give it some throttle it doesnt move, it rolls very slowly.
-When i'm of the clutch in first at a stand still the bike doesnt stall out!
- wen i was pushing it wen it was turned off it was making a clicking type of sound.
HELP PLEASE, the weather is gettin nice and this is torture!
dil

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: HELPPP! tranny problem
Reply #1 - 04/20/07 at 19:25:45

first guess is that when you put the basket back in and tightened the nut down you bound it up. someone else had a similar problem. Was the basket tight when you put the springs and release plate on. I think this is an internal problem such that you need to take the cover off and figure out what is binding.

did you do anything to the cable and is there a little free play on clutch handle?

Not trying to be a smart as, but I assume you put the clutch springs back in.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/07 at 19:32:00

ye the basket was on tight, the nut was on good, the washer was bent up, text book. there is very minimal play w/ the clutch cable, its adjusted just teh way it was b4 wen it was up n running fine. LOL ye the springs r, n bolted down w/ the right torque specs.  I'm confident the clutch is in rite, i'm just scratching my head tryin 2 figure out wat it could be

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/20/07 at 19:55:06

I remember that too.

Something to do with the clutch rod or the lever not being in the right place.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/20/07 at 20:02:51

Look at the clutch plates, Are they pressed tight against the most outside part of the clutch? Is there any slack in the plates? Did you have trouble starting the 4 bolts that secure the part that goes on top of the springs? If so, the basket may be trapped away from where it needs to be.

IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/20/07 at 20:46:32

hey, i'm sorry i'm not sure wat u mean bout are the clutch plates pressed tight against the most outside part of the clutch.
matter of fact ye i did have trouble gettin the bolts 2 go in on top of the springs, i kinda had 2 muscle it so the threads could catch.
wen installing all the plates they seemed to be going in smooth n alright, i didnt notice any space, everything was snug.

IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/20/07 at 20:48:32

verslagen, are u talking bout the clutch push rod that goes in between the 4 springs? that part is in correctly.
were u refering to sumthing else?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 04/20/07 at 21:09:47

Hard to tell from the post - you worked on the clutch because it was makeing a clattering and after you worked on the clutch were the symptoms different?

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #8 - 04/20/07 at 21:32:56

when everything was put back together, i.e. basket, springs, release plate, was there any play in the plates? The plates should have absolutely no play in them at this stage. If there was then something is trapped.
I think that was what Justin was sayin'

Sonce the cable and everything are good then I would say take it apart and double check everything. I know when I did some work on mine a couple weeks ago, the inside thrust washer slipped out of the way, I would have sworn that it was all done right, and I tore it apart about 4 times trying to figure out what was up. In this case the clutch wouldn't release but you get the idea.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #9 - 04/20/07 at 23:05:28

Take the clutch springs out and readjust the pressure plate/ usually just some wiggling with palm is enough/. Make sure that the groves align and it presses on the plates when pushed with the palm of Your hand.
Put the cover back and check the clutch. If everything is good, install the exhaust.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/21/07 at 00:26:36

Yea, I'm sorry, I was unclear. Let me try again. If ya look down at the top of the clutch basket,you will see the clutch plates, they are kinda yellowish if I remember right. The side near the engine has a gap between the last clutch plate & the end of the clutch basket, to allow room for the clutch rod to drive the clutch carrier back & disengage the clutch disks, by compressing the springs. If the basket got trapped against something, then the springs are compressed now, without even pulling the cable, so When you got done, did you have to tighten the cable up? Was there a lot of slack in it? Are you sure the cable is in the slot, behind the clutch lever ? Reason I ask is, Mine got out of place last time I was in there. Found it before i fired it up, but sure didnt have to. It could have caused me some hassles.. Hope this helps,

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 04/21/07 at 03:35:37

Read in the other( German) forum that you can install the gear behind the clutch basket reversed, possible??

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/21/07 at 03:57:56

I looked at that when I wasin there. I couldnt tell that it would be a problem if I did get it backwards. I saw no lines on the circumference, or dots on a tooth to show "Outside" vs inside. I dont remember it being asymetrical in any dimension, tho, it may well have been.Maybe I just got lucky, I had a 50/50 chance.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/21/07 at 07:46:01

drunpakhtun wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
hey, i'm sorry i'm not sure wat u mean bout are the clutch plates pressed tight against the most outside part of the clutch.
matter of fact ye i did have trouble gettin the bolts 2 go in on top of the springs, i kinda had 2 muscle it so the threads could catch.
wen installing all the plates they seemed to be going in smooth n alright, i didnt notice any space, everything was snug.

Red Flag!

What do you mean that you had to muscle it to get the bolts on the springs?  Why?

IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/21/07 at 09:36:22

the clutch is in fine, it doesnt go in gear i kno because
A. it doesnt stall out after kicked into first
B. even wen the bike is turned off and is in first, i can roll the bike with minimal force with out pulling the clutch it.
C.  i hear clicking sounds wen pushing the bike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELPPP! tranny problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.