Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HELPPP! tranny problem (Read 15 times)
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Re: HELPPP! tranny problem
Reply #15 - 04/21/07 at 09:37:25

ye i took the clutch apart and put it back together, everythin was good, no spaces, no play between anything, spring bolts went in no problem

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #16 - 04/21/07 at 09:44:16

obviously it could be a tranny problem, but unlikely. something is not adding up, but I am out of ideas.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 04/21/07 at 10:07:51

drunpakhtun wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
the clutch is in fine, it doesnt go in gear i kno because
A. it doesnt stall out after kicked into first
B. even wen the bike is turned off and is in first, i can roll the bike with minimal force with out pulling the clutch it.
C.  i hear clicking sounds wen pushing the bike

Wait a minute...you are clouding things up.  Not even logical.

You take a clutch apart and the tranny goes to crap?  Come on.  You aren't seeing the obvious.  If the clutch is screwed, you can roll it around in gear all day long.  

Just because it doesn't look like it's in gear...How do you expect the engine to do anything if it is disconnected from the transmission?

You already said you had to muscle 2 of the release plate screws, and that's not right.  Red Flag!

You put some plates in there wrong or you messed something up.  How about the wave washer or that #1 friction plate or the spacers?

BTW - "kicking" it into gear might give you tranny problems though.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 04/21/07 at 10:20:45

I'm glad this guy's having such a problem.  It's going to make it easy for me to put mine back together.  Thanks for all the great pics greg.

If I recall correctly, sometimes the plates can hang up on the basket.  Makes it hard to have a picnic.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 04/21/07 at 10:27:39

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I'm glad this guy's having such a problem.  It's going to make it easy for me to put mine back together.  Thanks for all the great pics greg.

If I recall correctly, sometimes the plates can hang up on the basket.  Makes it hard to have a picnic.   Grin

Taking advantage of the situation?  Ha Tongue

The clutch can be a real handful to juggle around and lining everything up in the basket can be a challenge, too.  Got to get the spring seat and wave washer with the #1 friction plate in first...

Sure the plates can get hung up, but one things certain...if you have to force it together, something's wrong.

The assembly order, except the plates is shown above.  I've got one for the plates too...just haven't uploaded it yet.

I have good closeups (I think, anyway) on the CD I'm assembling...(shameless plug Tongue)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 04/21/07 at 10:33:28

Here it is.  On the CD they are full screen size or suitable for framing Grin

IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/21/07 at 10:44:47

bro, the clutch is in rite, i did it twice now, everything went in smooth n lined up correctly.  
let me clear up the problem cause, i apologize if i was unclear.
it started wen i was riding i thought i heard clutch chatter, clicking sounds, then eventually the bike wouldnt go into gear.  I would put it into first let of the clutch and give it some throttle and i would roll slightly. I changed the used clutch (which didnt seem to be worn down to much but i figured its most likely the problem) and replaced it with brand new everything, did it twice just to make sure i didnt do anything wrong, and wen i gave it a go, same exact problem as before.  So now im left at the position i am now, forcing me to think  a tranny problem. i guess i'll take it apart see if anything is chewed up, bent or broken.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 04/21/07 at 10:56:19

Dude, going back in there is your only option, anyway.  

If you have a tranny problem...same.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #23 - 04/21/07 at 11:17:13

"i thought i heard clutch chatter, clicking sounds, then eventually the bike wouldnt go into gear.  I would put it into first let of the clutch and give it some throttle and i would roll slightly."

To me, clutch chatter is more of a on/off slight engagement/disengagement of the clutch w/o changing the lever position. Would have a feel that could create some sound alsoas it unloaded loaded the drive train parts. I'm thinking about problems others have cited over the years and one that comes to mind is the front pulley loose on the transmission output shaft. Also if the belt is way to loose it will slip over the teeth on the pulleys, that would give chattering type effect. The transmissons are pretty durable unless abused and then a worn/bent shift fork (or fork groove)  would prevent gear drive dog mesh and maybe let it try to pop ouot and then re-engage. Lets hear more from you about the original problem and what you have positively eliminated as possibilities. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/21/07 at 11:22:22

hmmm more about the original problem
the clicking sounds would only come wen i'd i got off the throttle, not wen i would accelerate.  It would also come wen the clutch was pulled in.  then it just got to the point where i could click into gears but the bike wouldnt go anywhere nor would it stall out.  
i'm gonna take apart the left side casing and start inspecting it w/ the clymer manual, i'll update u guys as soon as i see something tonight
thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/21/07 at 11:41:38

Based on what Max said & your description of the prob, I would spend just the few minutes necessary & grab an 8mm socket & wheeel that front pulley cover off & see if the tranny output shaft is spinning in it.. Wouldnt that be the sweetest, easiest solution?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #26 - 04/22/07 at 09:50:59

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I looked at that when I wasin there. I couldnt tell that it would be a problem if I did get it backwards. I saw no lines on the circumference, or dots on a tooth to show "Outside" vs inside. I dont remember it being asymetrical in any dimension, tho, it may well have been.Maybe I just got lucky, I had a 50/50 chance.

Look very close to the picture Greg posted. The oilpump driving gear can ( and Murfy will) be installed in reverse. The teeth have to be closed to the clutch basket

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/22/07 at 10:10:28

So you are saying the center is dished to one side? & if reversed, the teeth will be more toward the center of the engine & away from the clutch basket? IF it's wrong, then iot wont go together right? If thats true, then I spose I got it right, cuz its goin down the road quite nicely.. & I got lukkeeee.. Bout time!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 04/22/07 at 10:26:06

Hey Greg, don't forget the oil pump gear engagement pin.  Clymer made a point of mentioning it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #29 - 04/23/07 at 02:53:21

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
So you are saying the center is dished to one side? & if reversed, the teeth will be more toward the center of the engine & away from the clutch basket? IF it's wrong, then iot wont go together right? If thats true, then I spose I got it right, cuz its goin down the road quite nicely.. & I got lukkeeee.. Bout time!

Another way of checking the correct placement of the oilpump driving gear is that when positioned incorrectly is that is does NOT drive the oilpump driven gear.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:21:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELPPP! tranny problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.