Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb question - I think?? (Read 1 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Carb question - I think??
04/18/07 at 21:40:01

Okay, I'm motorcycle stupid so bear with me.

On the savage carb are two hoses coming out of the top (one of each side).  They both go back towards the seat and one goes under the frame and rests under the seat.  The right side hose lays on top of the battery cover and other cover.  I assume that this one should also go under the frame and rest under the seat.  Both hoses are open ended.  I am assuming that these hoses are both for any fuel overflow. (am I correct?) (However, they look like the both would run right into the air intake under the seat.)

Here's my problem - I filled up my tank and took off down the road.  I was stopped at a light and someone told me that I was leaking something.  I pulled over and found that the right hose mentioned above was the culprit.  Does anyone know why that would have been?  Also, are both these hoses for overflow?  Why all of a sudden?  Is there something that I'm missing?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Carb question - I think??
Reply #1 - 04/18/07 at 22:04:27

Those hoses are vent hoses. As to why you suddenly began losing fuel through them, I haven't a clue.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/18/07 at 22:46:27

if your carb float stuck as in failed to shut off the gas it will do this -

tell s ome about your bike - year, miles, how often you ride it -

and both hoses should go to the same place tucked into the frame under the seat

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/18/07 at 22:49:37

Those are vent hoses and both are supposed to go up in the frame.

Once you get in the right place, it's not supposed to leak, at least not in mine.  If it does, check the float height and needle valve.  

And are you running in prime?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #4 - 04/18/07 at 22:52:37

It was rejetted by the dealer when I put a new pipe on it.  I don't know what a "carb float" is or where it is.

I have a 98 Savage with 8500 miles on it.  If that right hose had fallen out from under the seat and was just hanging down, would that have caused fuel to leak from it?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 04/18/07 at 23:04:22

Possible - may have gotten a bit of siphon going - there is a opening in the frame right in front of the seat these vent hoses should both be going into - well above the carb

IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #6 - 04/19/07 at 23:06:23

Yeah, they're both going into the nipples on top of the carb and then go under the seat and just lay there open.  I talked to the dealer today and he said something about the float being stuck.  He said to tap the carb with a screwdriver and see if it gets better.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/20/07 at 13:56:24

Yes, if the bowl continues to fill it will come out those 2 overflow tubes. Since it's the floats job to close the needle valve, a stuck float can sure keep that from working right. I still am amzaed( tho I know it happens) that a float can stick while it's attached to that thumpin engine. If it was stuck once, I would say watch it closely, & if it sticks again, be ready to go in there & Doo Sumthin, tho I have no idea what I would do inside mine to stop it from having that kind of problem. Guys? What would a person likely need to do? Knock the pin out & use some fine sandpaper on it? Maybe put some metal polish on the pin & work the float around it to clean the ID on the float body?

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #8 - 04/21/07 at 06:09:42

Shockedomg no! Those parts are not cheap.first thing would be to take it off the bike and examine it for movement. If it slides up and down ok, it could be a bit of dirt in the jet or a clogged screen( some have one , some dont).the rubber tip on the jet is delicate and carb cleaner can eat away at it. this will allow more fuel to flow.not the direction you want to go! Metal polish would do the same thing. Mine had been gone through so many times it was worn out of round. tank was dirty and no fuel filter either. Screen was dirty too. Float valve and jet sold as one 2 part peice, fixed it. If all looks good try 2 oz of seafoam in a tankful and see if it wont clean it out for you.lubes the carb and cleans it out all at once.

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 04/21/07 at 07:28:13

And while you're att all of this, install an inline fuel filter in your fuel line.  Clear is best so you can see when it has crap in it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/21/07 at 12:42:17

So, If the float  is sticking, it's not a (usually) problem with the float not pivoting on the shaft so much as maybe something crunchy & tiny getting in its way there? Nothing to polish away, just flush with carb cleaner? I havent had this problem, but If I live long enough, maybe I will & I wouldnt want to make it worse.Inexperience can be costly. This forum has saved me a Ton & made me able to do things I couldnt have evr done without it, So,, Yep, I finally sent John a donation, to say thanks for such a fine forum. OHH, & thank all of you who have given me the confidence to walk off into stuff. Much appreciated & the bike is quite the machine now.. ( now, just gotta get a pistoin, & single walled header pipe,, he,, hheee  hee hheee,, )

Thanks Sparkette,, Good to hear from you..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:27:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb question - I think??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.