Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flywheel bearings (Read 9 times)
grim

San Jose,CA
Flywheel bearings
04/16/07 at 17:38:53

So I have the left engine half sitting on my table.  I check the play of the flywheel bearing in the left engine half.  It moves.  But the flywheel sits on two bearings, the other on the right engine half.  So the question is, is this bearing supposed to have some play or can it have some play?  You figure all the weights being thrown around on this axel might cause more bearing degradation.  

Even if I want to replace this bearing, I cannot find the Flywheel holder on bikebandit or ronayers.  Any suggestions?

Basically, do you think play on this bearing is normal seeing that the flywheel is on two bearings? or am I just fooling myself.

Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Flywheel bearings
Reply #1 - 04/16/07 at 18:09:06

Page 3-44 Zuki shop manual, shows diagram of HOW to inspect the bearings, but doesnt specify what amount of play is too much. Says" Inspect inner race by hand while it is in the case. Rotate crankcase bearing by hand to inspect for smooth rotation & & abnormal noise. Replace bearing if there is anything unusual" Heck, its unusual to have one OUT!

The diagram shows pressure applied to force the inner race along the line of the crank & 90 degrees from that line. Checking each for travel. Maybe calling the dealership & asking how much is okay. IF they ask How much have ya got, stick with the question, How much is okay.. Once ya tell em how much there is, no matter how small, it may just be time for a new bearing.. Uh humm,, coff coff.. Call it Butt covering or just wanting to sell a part,, who knows?
I wish I could be more helpful, but that's all I got Dude..

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 04/16/07 at 20:39:26

I don't have the notes any more, but at some I point in my technical training it seems like  0.004" is the maximum allowed movement axially in a ball bearing. That isn't much but more would let the parts move around too much. As it is oil lubricated vs grease it will run OK at 0.000 clearance. Grease filled bearing need a little movement to allow the grease to work its way around the balls or rollers. If yu are working on the LH side the rotor doesn't want to move enough to touch the stator. Usually as long as the oiled bearing has no roughness or tight spots it would be servicable. Any good gear puller should get it off and a good machine shop can press the new one on w/o messing up the parallalism or concentricity of the crank parts. When I've done the smaller single cylinder Honda, sometimes the bearing stays in the case and slides off the crank and other times it stay with the crank. In any case you do not want to put much pressure or ahmmering through the balls or failure possibilty in increased. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/16/07 at 20:40:55

ok - i'm cornfused as normal - which of these bearings has play as I still looking for a flywheel

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #4 - 04/16/07 at 22:48:19

And I am going to replace the freakin bearings....another week to wait for parts.....This whole project is a waiting game.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/16/07 at 23:05:39

Part Numbaah Niine, the winnah,, so, how many miles on it? How much slop in it? Have ya compared it to the other side yet? Ohh, BTW, how much $$ to replace?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/16/07 at 23:18:11

Since the cam chain is out of mine, the right end of the crank is right there & easy to grab. It doesnt have nay play in any direction with the easy grab I put on it. I didnt try real hard, but, it is fully assembled & I am sure that stabilizes it quite a bit. Did you, by any chance, mess with the ends of the crank before it came apart? I wonder if it's reall okay, BUT, if I had mine apart & wondering I would most likely change the bearings than risk having to go back anytime soon. Sorry you havin to wait & spend more $$.. The whols scenario is really pretty,, well, grim. sorry,, Ive been looking for a way to do that... Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/16/07 at 23:48:31

You need to be able to feel the bearings with your fingers too.  Like Max says, about .004" is it.  Think of the amount of clearance in the valve adjustment.  That's it.

Generally if you can feel ANY roughness in rotation or ANY play between inner and outer races, you have exceeded that amount.

Since you are here, it will probably be better to just replace them anyway.  Do the rebuild right.

Not sure about these engine bearings, but get the numbers and check with a bearing supplier like SKF if you have one nearby.  If any of the bearings are a shelf item, you'll save big bucks over the dealer cost.

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #8 - 04/17/07 at 14:15:31

Showed the engine half to a bike mech neighbor.  He is suggesting bearing replacement, and piston rings while we are here.  

bike does have 34000 miles....so probably due anyway..
other bearing has no play.  parts are 60 bucks for that one bearing...neighbor said he could lend me the flywheel holder....sweeeet

Grim joke is quite funny.... Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/17/07 at 21:07:27

$60 for a bearing?

???

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 04/17/07 at 21:36:28

From crotchrocket.com:

9 BEARING, LH ( 40X80X18 ) 09264-40002  1 $48.38  

is a bit pricy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/18/07 at 06:47:42

Haul that bearing into an industrial bearing supply house & let them look at it, they may have something on a shelf that does the IGGzakt same thing for lots less $$. Just a suggestion..

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 04/18/07 at 08:19:55

Sorry guys, can"t advice you where to buy from the other side of the pond.
But the rollerbearings are a standard seize and can be bougth from SKF, Timken or the like for prices LESS than $60.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #13 - 04/18/07 at 22:56:41

too late....didn't want to risk it either.....

I think I spent too much on this bike now.....most went to USPS and UPS

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 04/18/07 at 23:05:52

never can spend too much! (only all you got)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:24:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flywheel bearings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.