Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Wheel Rubbing (Read 2 times)
monkee72
Ex Member

Front Wheel Rubbing
04/16/07 at 08:12:16

Ok, I tried searching high and low before starting a new thread, but...I took off my front wheel, took it and had a new front tire put on.  I got home, put everything back together, but now it seems to be rubbing.  It's not a smooth spinning wheel like I figured it should be.  Could I maybe, inadvertantly, have swapped the two spacers on each side of the wheels?  I don't know if that would cause this.  Or wrench to tightly on the axle when I put it back in?  It almost looks like the rotor is rubbing on the front brake pads.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front Wheel Rubbing
Reply #1 - 04/16/07 at 08:58:49

Just R&R'd the front wheel on my '96.
The spacer on the disk side has a flange on both ends.
Whereas the other side only has one.

The pads 'appear' to be rubbing all the time.  This is normal as the pads do not pull back very far.  But if they are actually dragging (lift the front wheel and spin) that is not normal.

I don't think you can wrench the axle nut to tight.

The caliper does 'float' to match the location of the disk.  There are 2 rubber covered posts on the caliper that allow it to shift.

Happy wrenching   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 04/16/07 at 09:04:00

Not sure if your concern is the tire rubbing or the brake pads rubbing on the rotor. If it is the brake pads they will rub slightly and I believe it is possible to get the rotor inside the inner pad if the caliper is retracted completely. At one time we had a rider who experienced enough tire growth at speed with an bigger tire than spec'ed that it rubbed the fender. You can use a flashlight to look at the brake pads and make sure the pad material is against the rotor. Spacers are the same if I remember correctly from last night when I R & R'd mine. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/16/07 at 10:22:35

Yes, check to see if the brake pads are rubbing which isn't a bad thing normally.  They do it in your car too.

I would think that you could see where the wheel is rubbing.  Is it rubbing on one side of the fender?

Did you put your axle back together like this?

IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/16/07 at 10:31:07

I printed out everyone's response.  Huge thanks on the pic, Greg.  I'll let everyone know tomorrow how it turns out.  Thanks again!!

IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/19/07 at 07:08:59

YOU GUYS RUUUULE!!  I guess if I would've done what my drill sgt. used to slam into our heads..."PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!" I never would have had to start this whole thread anyway.  Yeah, it was the spacer reversed.  Borrowed my buddy's bike jack, done within 5 minutes!  By the way, the bike jack...Harborfreight Tools has them way cheap and, it's one of those tools you may not need often but when you have it, you're awfully thankful ya do!  THANKS AGAIN!!  I'll post pics when the lil &$*%(# all complete!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/19/07 at 09:36:45

Another S4...

Way to go Grin