Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil cooler install, final update (Read 171 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Oil cooler install, final update
04/15/07 at 09:44:01

Ok!  I finished install of my oil cooler today, and let me just say, any doubts I had about oil pressure are gone!

(Sorry, no pictures yet, wife's camera still being fixed...another looonnng story.)

Anyway, I came out of the front pressure plug (just like Ed_L's mod) and into the oil cooler.  Out of the oil cooler and back into the top of the oil filter housing by drilling and tapping a thread there.  I used a car frame rail tranny cooler, 24 inches long and 4 inches wide and mounted it vertically on the front of the frame, opposite and in the same orientation as the header pipe.  I did not block the internal oil passage into the oil filter housing.

I know there's plenty of oil pressure even without further testing for two reasons.

#1 - I forgot to tighten one of the hose clamps at the bottom of the oil cooler all the way  Embarrassed and as soon as I started the motor, it began spewing oil all over the garage floor.   :'(

#2 - After I tightened the hose clamp and filled the crankcase back up with oil, every time I blipped the throttle, both hoses would flex noticeably under pressure Shocked and the oil level in the crank case dropped from all the way to the top to half way up the sight glass.

Can't ride today because of constant COLD rain, but may get a chance to ride into work tomorrow.  I'll update on first test ride and (still) post pictures when my wife gets her camera back.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Oil cooler install, final update
Reply #1 - 06/19/08 at 12:00:16

Any update on your cooler?  Do you have a source link for buying them?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/19/08 at 12:55:33

Save some $$$ & stop in at a junk yard or two, scout around. They have oil coolers theyve taken off cars that werent smashed in the front, sometimes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/19/08 at 12:58:39

Does the pressure side have a "Smart" installed choice? Would pumping to the top & DROPPING THRU THE COOLER BE BETTER, OR PUMP UP THRU THE COOLER   OOPS, caplocks, sorry,.
Or does it matter at all?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 06/20/08 at 08:10:01

My main concern is all that extra oil draining out of the cooler and back into the engine.  I'm worried  that this would cause a dramatic increase in pressure at startup.  Even the smaller cooler have to add about 3/4 a quart capacity.  That's almost a 50% increase in oil.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/20/08 at 09:20:49

There's the answer, pump in the bottom, thru a check valve, so it doesnt drain into the sump.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/20/08 at 09:58:17

toddlamp8 wrote on 06/20/08 at 08:10:01:
My main concern is all that extra oil draining out of the cooler and back into the engine.  I'm worried  that this would cause a dramatic increase in pressure at startup.  Even the smaller cooler have to add about 3/4 a quart capacity.  That's almost a 50% increase in oil.

I'm a little confused at your reasoning.  If all the oil drained into the sump, it's no longer in the oil cooler/passageways.  Pressure will be zero, right?  I'd be more worried about the increase in lag between startup and delivery of oil.  But I beleave the check valve will take care of that.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/20/08 at 10:02:24

How much cooler do you think it will run with the oil cooler.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 06/20/08 at 10:10:55

I was afraid that it would put added strain on the pump to push it all.

I doubt that it will be there long enough to foam though which is the main concern of over filling.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 06/20/08 at 10:20:38

I can a test to the fact that all the oil doesn't all go back into the sump.  

I had an oil pressure guage on for awhile.  Twice I took the hose off to re-route it and got a puddle on the garage floor.  (second time it was in my tub that I use to change oil.... yes old dogs can learn somethings....).

Observations
10W-40 , summer time (85 deg F), at idle, bike warmed up, oil pressure is around 2-3 pounds per sqr inch gauge (psig).  7-10 at 3000 RPM like the Fact Serv manual calls for.  At cold start up it was approx 15 psig.
20W-50 Mobil 1, V-Twin,  same temp, at idle oil pressure is around 5-8 .  At cold startup it was around 20-22 psig.

Took the guage off because it was a 30 PSIG unit and when it's 50 deg's out, the pressure at first start up was over 30.  I sort of wrencked the gauge, it would not go back to zero after awhile.  I think a 40 or 50 psig unit would be better.

Next, having had the engine totally apart (that's how I bought the bike), I would say that there is nothing in it that couldn't take 60 psig.     Weakest part in the oil paths is just above the clutch between the side cover and engine case and since that's also the path to the head which is fairly large and unrestricted it should do fine.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:33:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil cooler install, final update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.