Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windshield is peeling... HELP.. pics (Read 7 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Windshield is peeling... HELP.. pics
04/15/07 at 09:31:33

My Savage had this windshield on it when I got it.  I want to use it, but the plastic is peeling from so long sitting outside.  Is there a product on the market that I can rub or spray on etc.... that will minimize the bad appearance of this?  I know that the easy fix, and possibly the only fix, is to replace the windshield, but I would just do without one before I spend $100 on one.  Anyone have any ideas?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Windshield is peeling... HELP.. pics
Reply #1 - 04/15/07 at 09:48:51

From the information I recieved too late to help me, it is caused by using cleaners that have ammonia in them. I now use plexus and the problem stopped getting worse. B-i-L has that shield on his 87 now and doesn't bother him as he loks over it and it was free.  Believe Megairs (sp) has a 2 or 3 part plastic renewal item in their inventory. The stuff they use to restore clarity to the new plastic headlight covers might work. Read the label and maybe try it on the bottom part to be sure. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/15/07 at 10:04:37

Thanks for the info.... I didn't know they made plastic renewl items... I'll check into it....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/16/07 at 10:54:44

That windshield looks like crap.  Ouch.

How about that Lens Doctor product?  "As Seen On TV"

Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/16/07 at 11:26:43

imo if it's actualy peeling, it's because it has a film tint applied to it.  and it's been on so long it deteriated.  If so, the only way to fix it is to remove it.

I used to polish the end of lexan sheet to a mirror surface.  To do this the ends were machined flat, then sanded by hand to 800 grit smooth.  And finished off with a emery paper like polishing cloth with ruby roughe.  This was 20+ years ago so memory fades.

I had a nasty scratch, so I whipped out the 600 paper and water to remove the scratch.  This will leave the spot frosted.  Use rubbing compound next.  This left it see thru, but a little cloudy like when all scratch from cleaning with the wrong stuff.  I just got a metal polish kit at a show so gave that a try, perfect.

If I were to do the whole windshield I'd look for the ruby roughe emery cloth.  use lots of water to clear the dirt away.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/16/07 at 11:40:58

Well, I checked out Meguier's web site.  They have a couple different plastic restorative products.  One is a 3 part process and one is a single bottle.  My local Wal-mart had the single bottle formula called "PlastX."  I tried it on a section of teh shield last night.  I did a pretty good job with it.  It has a "micro-abrasive in it as well as other things.  I am hoping that repeated applications will make it better and better.  If not I will try the 3 part product they have.  I have always had good luck with Meguier's products, so I'll stick with them.

The kicker is that the shield was brand new when he stored the bike.  He Never even rode the bike after installing it.  I don't have to look thru it at all to ride, so it just an appearance thing.  I can be anal about things like that sometimes, though.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 04/16/07 at 13:33:09

I've had luck removing scratches with 320 paper then 400 then 600 and a final buff using red rouge on a buffing pad. Looks like you will need to spend a lot of time on that shield to get it all out. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #7 - 04/16/07 at 13:38:42

Lens Doctor is a scam. Has ruined lots / all of the eye glasses its been used on.

I tried Meguiars PlastX on my face shield and it worked sort of. Still looking for something that will make them like new,  but think a new one every few months will be the only sure way.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 04/16/07 at 19:16:34

Windex is bad stuff, full of ammonia. Yet it's the first thing people think of when they need to clean anything resembling glass.
For my plastic face shields, I soak em in warm soapy water. The bugs just float off, and then I give them a warm water rinse. (Easier to replace face shields than windshields.)

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/16/07 at 23:14:41

Holodeck wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Lens Doctor is a scam. Has ruined lots / all of the eye glasses its been used on.

I need a smiley with a "tongue in cheek".

Tongue

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #10 - 04/18/07 at 04:22:41

That looks really rough!Dont know if it would help, but I got a 5 minute headlamp restorer. It worked pretty good on light scratches. It fits on a drill and had some white chemical in the sponges included. Did a super job on the headlamp Grin, and not too bad on the windsheild too. customchemicalpkg.com.
good luck.

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:31:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield is peeling... HELP.. pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.