Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just installed Roadstar bars...Pics (Read 9 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Just installed Roadstar bars...Pics
04/15/07 at 09:22:35

Well, I have this benefit ride coming up this weekend that my wife and I are going to ride in.  I knew that I would not be able to ride for 4-6 hours with the stock bars that are on it, so I've been looking for a replacement set of bars.  I went to the local Harley dealership to see about some take-off dyna bars(also wanted to get take-off Dyna muffler and Sporster seat) but the Harley place tells me "no-go, we don't sell any take-offs, but I can order you some brand-spankin new genuine H-D brand replacements" which I read as "$$$$$$$$$$$$" ao I say no thanks and head out the door.  I stop at the local Kawasaki, Yamaha, Big Dog dealer because they usually have a decent in-stock selection of aftermarket parts.  They only had bars in stock that were Arlen Ness and the like.... more $$$ than the harley stuff would be, so I start looking thru the catalog at some drag bars with one of the sales guys.  The parts guy I always buy my stuff from wasn't there at the time.  The young guy I am talking to tells me that he can have parts in in 3-5 days and that most of the time it is 3 days.  Well, I see a set of bars that are about $50 in the catalog and am about to order them when MY parts guy walks up.  He takes over for the other kid, who needs to answer a phone call and that is the best timed call that I could have asked for.  

I explained everything to my guy and he askes what kind of price I am looking for.  I tell the lower the better, But that I didn't want to go above $50-$75.  He thinks for a minute and says... I had a set of bars in the back, wait a minute."  He comes back out with this set of Genuine Yamaha bars for a Road Star.  They are bigger than I had been looking at, but I say, if the price is right, what the heck.  He looks them up and  tells me that they have been sitting in the back for a little over a year.  He says he can sell them for $68.99 and that it is a "no tax day." (Dealership was paying for the tax on ALL purchases in the store.)  Well here they are on my Savage.... I installed them last night with the help of my lovely assistant, my wife.  I had to do a little rerouting of cables and such, and I still need to secure some things, but.... OH what a difference.  I also think I am going to use a pipe cutter and cut about 1 1/2" off the end of each bar.  It will let me lower them a bit more for a little more comfort in the right wrist.

Specs:
Brand: Yamaha Genuine Parts & Accessories
Part Descr:  Handlebar, Longhorn - Road Star
Part #: STR4WM751300
Sugg Retail: $114.95
Price paid: $68.99
Width: 33 5/8"
Pullback: 12"
Rise: 3 5/8"

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Just installed Roadstar bars...Pics
Reply #1 - 04/15/07 at 20:54:57

must steer great!

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #2 - 04/16/07 at 00:48:28

Nice bars, must ride great and comfortable. Expensive though. Like the color of your bike.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/16/07 at 03:23:25

The ride IS great.  Much more comfortable for a big guy like me.  It is much easier to throw the bike round now.  I DID end up cutting 1" off the end of each bar last night to move the grips a little farther forward and turned down a little more.  Now it is darn near perfect.  These bars are also getting rid of most of the buzz that we always felt int he bars.  That was the biggest thing that my wife didn't like about the bike.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/16/07 at 10:35:27

Very nice.  Congratulations!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/17/07 at 09:06:03

Well, I have a Poker Run on Saturday that should put a200-300 miles on the new bars.  I should have a REALLY good idea after that as to how comfortable they are.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:31:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just installed Roadstar bars...Pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.