Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Gasohol Ready?
Reply #15 - 06/03/07 at 01:56:17

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
methanol or ethanol?

rather big difference

Ethanol.  Sorry, my bad.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #16 - 06/03/07 at 05:45:49

More than one Dial-A-Jet may be required.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/03/07 at 05:47:34

I am oout of my element here, but didn't notice the diaphragme on the slide mentioned. Will it handle the exposure to ethanol? It it getting exposed enough to bother it? There are the 2 small holes in the bottom of the slide next to the needle.Last time I took mine apart it was kinda damp up there in the diaphragme, so something can get there.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 06/03/07 at 09:30:56

I've been looking at the differences between a 100% gasoline/petrol ready 38mm Amal Mk2 and a 100% alcohol ready version.  Besides the plastic/rubber parts that change, the main, pilot and needle jets all change too.  I'm not sure how much the other two are altered byt the main goes from a #320 to a #800.  Now, this compares carbs built for a Royal Enfield, but I take it a good guide.   Note that the sizing isn't linear between the 300 series and the 800 series either.  I believe I have a #330 in mine now but I'm not positive.  The Dial-A-Jet installation instructions state that reducing the main jet by 2 to 3 sizes should result in a setup that puts you in the center setting of the dial.  I'm wanting to get it so that the installed main puts me at the lean end.  That would give me the rest of the range to richen it for running e85.

Regarding the diaphragm, the Amal Mk2 doesn't have one.  The only diaphragm in the mix is the one in the petc0ck.  For that, I have a used petc0ck already converted so that it doesn't use vacuum any longer.  I'll ensure none of the original rubber remains in it and I'll replace the plastic tubes with copper or brass.  At this point, one of the parts I still (probably) need to replace is the rubber mounting flange that connects the carb to the cylinder head.  Amal has a simple one available but it doesn't bolt up.  It's just a short tube.  I may need to find/make a metal one and use the alcohol ready tube between.  I haven't bought the alcohol conversion kit yet and if I run into too many show-stoppers, I may not.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/03/07 at 09:57:06

Thanks for the schooling. I really havent followed alcohol in fueal much. All I know is that it knocks the hose off the fuel pump in the tank on Moto Guzzis after a short exposure time. like a couple O months. So, when they start putting that crud in the gas everywhere, how will it affect the carb on the Suzuki?

If you werent trying to make it run on 100% ethanol, would it need all these mods? It would seem so to me, since exposure to something that destroys something at 100% solution, would only destroy it slower at 20%. BUt, some things are counterintuitive. Others just dont make sense.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 06/03/07 at 10:19:46

Supposedly 10% is fine for all of our vehicles now.  Just about every gas pump I find says that it may contain up to 10% ethanol.  I'm trying to make mine compatible with anything from the standard 10% ethanol/90% gasoline to the 85% ethanol/15% gasoline that's becoming increasingly available.

If I should decide to ditch the project, I'll have a Dial-A-Jet and a TourTank.  The TourTank should be great for extended range and I'm hoping the Dial-A-Jet will give me a bit better power delivery and mileage.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasohol Ready?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.