Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
good petcock upgrade or... (Read 5 times)
cbsuz
Ex Member

good petcock upgrade or...
04/14/07 at 11:29:20

I recently bought my wife a spotless '02 Savage with a mere 460 miles on it - spent all of it's time parked in the garage. It ran great for 70 miles or so (she had fun - I did too  Cheesy) but now it will only run if the petcock's on Prime. Otherwise it starts to sputter and dies.

I pulled the carb apart and everything looks brand new with no jets plugged. Before trying to diagnose a vacuum problem or something otherwise complicated, I'm wondering if it's just a bad petcock.

Any suggestions for a good replacement? Something else common to these bikes that I should check?

Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: good petcock upgrade or...
Reply #1 - 04/14/07 at 11:37:35

there's reasonable tech section posting on how to modify one to a manual off/on - I like the vacuuuum operated myself - several things to check I guess - it could have crud in it - fairly simple to take apart and see - the vacu line could have split (goes into backside of the petc0ck) - the ugly thing that can ahppen is the diaphram leaks and lets gas go back through the vacu line and fills the crankcase/cylinder/air box with fuel - not good

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 04/14/07 at 11:39:46

Why not try to diagnose a vacuum problem before suspecting the petc0ck?  Much easier to fix.

I know it goes against the common wisdom around here, but we have an '00 and '01 that still have perfectly functioning petc0cks with no leaks.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/14/07 at 11:40:58

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
- I like the vacuuuum operated myself -    

So glad that you said that.

IP Logged
Bri_Fri
YaBB Newbies

Young Gun

Homer, Alaska
Reply #4 - 04/14/07 at 18:05:16

How do you diagnose a vacuum hose problem? I've read some instructions somewhere around here but didn't understand them. Does anybody have a pic of the vac hose?

Every once in a while my bike's rpms will slow down and eventually stall if I dont keep it running by revving it. After a while it eventually comes back to normal. I have not done any mods besides adjusting the idle mix and speed. ??? Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/14/07 at 18:17:52

CB, If it runs fine on prime, most likely it's the vacuum line.  Replace it, snip off the ends... what ever works for you.

On mine, I'd be going along 70 mph just grinning ear to ear  Grin when she cut out  Shocked  checked everything and found the vac line was split at the end.  Snipped it, now it runs great.  Only problem none of the auto stores carry this size line.

Welcome to the group   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/14/07 at 20:38:05

if it turns out to be the vacuum line think Lon (Thumperclone) replaced his so hopefully he'll read this thread & recommend where he bought his from. know you won't be able to go to same exact location (unless by fluke you live in same town as us!) but maybe he can help with the sort of place to go to get a length of line.

good luck with fixing problem.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/14/07 at 22:19:55

Bri_Fri wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
How do you diagnose a vacuum hose problem? I've read some instructions somewhere around here but didn't understand them. Does anybody have a pic of the vac hose?

Every once in a while my bike's rpms will slow down and eventually stall if I dont keep it running by revving it. After a while it eventually comes back to normal. I have not done any mods besides adjusting the idle mix and speed. ??? Thanks for your help.

After you've been around here awhile you'll know better than to say that Grin

How do you diagnose a vacuum problem?  

First step:  See if it sucks.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/14/07 at 23:05:39

That would be correct - pull your tube off the right side nipple and suck on it if you get a mouth full - bad - if your tongue sticks to it long time - good -

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/14/07 at 23:12:22

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
That would be correct - pull your tube off the right side nipple and suck on it if you get a mouth full - bad - if your tongue sticks to it long time - good -

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 04/15/07 at 04:50:55

This is exactly why I did the petc0ck conversion!  I hate anything that will increase complexity and decrease reliability.  I got stranded twice and decided that silly thing's got to go, only been stranded once since...now I just have to figure out how to increase my fuel capacity Roll Eyes

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/15/07 at 06:34:38

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
This is exactly why I did the petc0ck conversion!  I hate anything that will increase complexity and decrease reliability.  I got stranded twice and decided that silly thing's got to go, only been stranded once since...now I just have to figure out how to increase my fuel capacity Roll Eyes

Why were you stranded the last time?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 04/15/07 at 07:38:09

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
if it turns out to be the vacuum line think Lon (Thumperclone) replaced his so hopefully he'll read this thread & recommend where he bought his from. know you won't be able to go to same exact location (unless by fluke you live in same town as us!) but maybe he can help with the sort of place to go to get a length of line.

good luck with fixing problem.

true value hardware   8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 04/15/07 at 08:26:05

Quote:
Why were you stranded the last time?

I hate to admit this, but I was pushing the limit and ran out of gas on the freeway.  Had to jog next to (push) my m/c three miles to the next exit/gas station. Embarrassed

That's why I need more gas  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › good petcock upgrade or...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.