Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My Savage Backfires like crazy! (Read 21 times)
Meye
Ex Member

My Savage Backfires like crazy!
04/14/07 at 09:32:52

Hello everyone, I was searching the web trying to find answers to my backfiring concerns when I stumbled on this forum.  Nice to see something like this exists, hopefully I'm not just asking a question that's been discussed many times over but here it is.  I just recently bought an '02 Savage from a dealer (first bike, first time riding) and my knowledge about what's normal and what isn't is pretty slim to none.  The first week I had it, the backfiring would only happen when I shut it off, but now it backfires when I acel, decel, shift, coast, shut off... I called and asked a few places/people and as suggested I've replaced the air cleaner, spark plug, changed the oil/filter, ran out the old gas and fueled with higher octane (91)...immediately after doing that the backfiring went away for about two days, and now it's back as bad as ever....cept now I can visibly see black smoke from the exhaust pipe, very little but it's there.  I'm almost ready to give in and pay the dealership insane amounts of money to look at it, but was hoping anyone would have some feedback as to the actual cause...or if it even is a problem at all?  Any and all input would be much appreciated.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: My Savage Backfires like crazy!
Reply #1 - 04/14/07 at 10:11:54

Welcome.

There are numerous topics already in progress or completed on this very subject.  The subject is like Ground Hog Day...it repeats and repeats....or maybe it's like the Energizer Bunny and keeps going and going...oh well, you get the idea Tongue

Just plan to stay awhile, and read through any topics that you see about jetting, noises, or mufflers.  Go back a couple pages.  Check out the Technical section, but trust me, there ain't nothing unique about your bike, equipment or situation.  It's all been done.

It's all right here for the Whole World Wide Web to see, but whatever you do...stay away from the dealership.  He's the one that sells backfires Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/14/07 at 10:51:05

Some backfire, pops and blats are kinda' normal in a big single but, the black smoke may indicate a problem since it's a new symptom.  I would check the vacuum line to the petcock for a gas leak first, then if that's not leaking check for a sticky float in the carb.  You can search this site for details on how-to.  Petc0ck, pethingy....  spellings are altered on this site for the word because a filter  takes the c* word as vulgar.
 BTW.. You really don't need premium gas in this bike.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/14/07 at 11:46:31

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
 BTW.. You really don't need premium gas in this bike.

oooo... teatering on a fuel thread.....  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #4 - 04/14/07 at 11:57:47

Yes Suzi backfires, which as my sister points out, "It is announcing you have ARRIVED!"

The smoke sounds off to me too. Take the pipe off and have a look - mine had some crud up under the aftermarket bracing that smoked and smelled nasty when I first bought the bike.

Looked like the installer (read first owner) added the pipe without removing all the packing material, or left a tie wrap against the hot pipe - who knows. Cleaned that out, and all was well.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/14/07 at 12:01:16

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
oooo... teatering on a fuel thread.....  Roll Eyes

Are you trying to instigate a thread cleaning?

Shhhh.  Be vewy vewy qwiet!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 04/14/07 at 13:33:55

Welcome to the site.  Backfiring?  Wow, I've never heard of an LS650 doing that. Wink

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/14/07 at 16:29:38

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Welcome to the site.  Backfiring?  Wow, I've never heard of an LS650 doing that. Wink

I heard somewhere that if you drill out your venturi and make more gas flow inside that the backfires will stop.

Shhh, don't tell anyone about my signature line Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/14/07 at 18:06:22

Loose nuts (like these guys) sometime causes the backfires.  Check the header pipe clamp nuts and the muffler clamp.

But I really think its your oil...  (highjack, highjack)
 Welcome to the group   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/14/07 at 22:31:40

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Loose nuts (like these guys) sometime causes the backfires.  Check the header pipe clamp nuts and the muffler clamp.

But I really think its your oil...  (highjack, highjack)
 Welcome to the group   Grin

I've had backfires all day.  I might be running lean or my muffler is loose.

BTW - how do you pronounce Meye?  Is it "M-eye" or "Me Ya"?  

Anyway, welcome to Suzuki Savage Country.

IP Logged
Meye
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/14/07 at 22:48:33

Smiley Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.  I had forgot to mention that while learning to ride I did set it down a few times (luckily my body took most of the damage - both the bike and myself walked away with minor scratches) but it turns out after reading about exhaust leaks, that it was the problem....must have jogged it loose when it tipped over, tightened it up best I could.... weather didn't allow for more than a few minutes of riding, but the backfire was reduced to a slight crackling.  It seems though that the backfiring is appealing to some riders, if I had ignored it and continued to ride with the backfiring, can any damage to the bike happen?

Oh, and it's pronounced M-Eye (My)  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/14/07 at 23:19:36

Meye wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Smiley Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.  I had forgot to mention that while learning to ride I did set it down a few times (luckily my body took most of the damage - both the bike and myself walked away with minor scratches) but it turns out after reading about exhaust leaks, that it was the problem....must have jogged it loose when it tipped over, tightened it up best I could.... weather didn't allow for more than a few minutes of riding, but the backfire was reduced to a slight crackling.  It seems though that the backfiring is appealing to some riders, if I had ignored it and continued to ride with the backfiring, can any damage to the bike happen?

Oh, and it's pronounced M-Eye (My)  Wink

Welcome back My Eye Grin

The Svage backfires naturally.  As long as it is stock and healthy, that's what Suzuki (with help from the EPA and maybe even Al Gore) meant for it to do.  Not to worry.  Your baby is good to go.

Sorry and Congrats on the spills.  It's a learning curve.  Gotta get it dirty so you can clean it up again.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #12 - 04/15/07 at 00:39:06

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I heard somewhere that if you drill out your venturi

And if you've ever had your venturi drilled out, you know what a painful experience that can be!   Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 04/15/07 at 06:28:14

Reprint from the "Mother Ship ... Mikuni" website.

4: Backfires in Exhaust

Note:

It is normal for many high performance exhaust systems to moderately backfire or pop when the throttle is closed from mid-to-high rpm. In fact, one should expect a well-tuned high performance engine to "pop" and "crackle" when the throttle is closed at high rpm.

The popping is a result of the air/fuel mixture becoming very lean when the throttle is closed and the engine is rotating well above idle speed. It is also necessary that the exhaust system have rather open mufflers.

Why This (normally) Happens:

1)  When the throttle valve is in the idle position, fuel does not flow out of the main system (needle, needle jet, main jet). Fuel is only delivered to the engine by the pilot (idle) system.
2) The combined effect of the closed throttle and elevated engine rpm is to create a fairly strong vacuum in the intake manifold. This vacuum, in turn, causes a high air flow rate through the small gap formed by the throttle valve and carburetor throat.
3) Under these conditions the pilot (idle) system cannot deliver enough fuel to create a normal, combustible air/fuel ratio. The mixture becomes too lean to burn reliably in the combustion chamber. It gets sent into the exhaust system unburned and collects there.
4) When the odd firing of the lean mixture does occur, it is sent, still burning, into the exhaust system where it sometimes ignites the raw mixture that has collected ---- the exhaust then pops or backfires.
5) Completely stock Harleys do not do this until open-end mufflers, such as the popular Screamin' Eagle slip-ons, are installed. The exhaust must be both free-flowing and have an open exit for the popping to occur.

Other possible causes:

Air Leaks:

Any source of fresh air into the exhaust system can create or worsen the conditions that bring about exhaust backfiring. The most common entry point is the junction of the header pipes and mufflers. Even a small air leak can dramatically increase the intensity or likelihood of exhaust system backfiring.

A high temperature silicone sealant, as can be found in many auto parts stores, may be used to seal the pipe/muffler junction.

Lean Carburetion:

While exhaust system popping may be considered normal, it is certainly made worse by an overly lean idle circuit.
Be sure that your carburetor's pilot jet is the correct size and that the idle air mixture screw is correctly adjusted before looking for other causes of popping. The procedure for adjusting the pilot circuit is covered in the Tuning Manual.

Ignition:

If exhaust system popping  is very loud, irregular and accompanied by loss of power, then you should suspect that the ignition system is not performing as it should. If, for some reason, the ignition sometimes fires at the wrong time, then exhaust popping can become very energetic (loud). Look for failing high tension leads (plug wires), failing ignition coil(s) and especially switches or connectors as possible

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/15/07 at 06:36:35

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
And if you've ever had your venturi drilled out, you know what a painful experience that can be!   Wink

Yep.  You'll suck a dent in your tank.

Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:31:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Savage Backfires like crazy!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.