Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
supertrapp install (Read 6 times)
noshow
YaBB Newbies

supertrapp install
04/13/07 at 21:20:41

So I have been stuck for 2 days now and I have looked all over this site for some details that could help but found nothing.

I got the stock muffler off. Finding the two hidden screws behind the heat shield was fun.

Putting the new Trapp on has been more of a challenge however.

I am about a good fingers width away from having it up to the flange of the header pipe.

I've tried using a water based gel, a rubber mallet and a small block of wood to hit against.

I have even tried putting a ice pack around the header and using a blow dryer on the muffler end to see if I could contract / expand the two metals. Nothing seems to work.

I haven't removed my header and am wondering if that makes a difference or not.

But I got the stock muffler off with no problems and without removing the header so I don't think thats an issue.

It simply looks like there is a slight bend on both the stock and trapp pipe.

When I put the pipe up to the header, its just not making that bend. No matter how slight it is...its driving me nuts.

I know its a snug fit but I feel stuck. Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: supertrapp install
Reply #1 - 04/13/07 at 21:51:17

read on the following post seems some folks are cutting off 3/4" from the head pipe - I do not have a trap so no direct first hand

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #2 - 04/13/07 at 22:42:07

My SuperTrapp went on without modification on my 2002. I had to remove the pipe at the header. This might be the secret.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #3 - 04/13/07 at 23:03:57

BTW,
Once you get this SuperTrapp installed you will be amazed at the performance improvement. Don't go beyond 6 discs without rejetting the carb.
I've rejetted and am now running 13 discs. The bike is very quick up to 60mph. I'm old, and am to afraid to go much faster. It's much quicker than stock. Some say it's quicker than most Harleys to 60mph.
The downside is that you will eat up rear tires faster. You will not be able to resist twisting the throttle open.

If you put off rejetting the carb at 6 discs, your front pipe will begin to turn yellow. You can polish this out, but don't let it go to far, or it will go blue.

You will notice your gas milage will drop about 5mpg, too.

Did you ever notice the Global Warming Whacko's never recommend motorcycles as an alternative vehicle for all our oil consumin'. Why? My LS650 still gets over 40mpg even after these mods.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/13/07 at 23:49:13

I had to cut the header off to get the bolts in the rear bracket. Some are running wir\th only 1 bolt ebgaged. Please, note the tpying. I FEEL like I have only one bolt ebngaged. Mine had a bend in it & wouldnt allow the Trapp on anyfurter so I cut it off. I wpuldnt be too shook up about it going all the ay to any flange, as long as there is enough pipe overlapping to get it to seal & the rear bolts line up,, you are good to go. Be careful how much ya whack off. OHHH ,, Man, that looks BAD! Sorry. lol,,

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/14/07 at 02:06:35

It took me maybe 20 minutes to install my supertrapp on my 02. i just made sure the muffler was far enough up the pipe it wouldnt blow off, and used the exhaust clamp that came with the supertrapp. I could only align one bolt up at the rear, but so far after 2 years no exhaust leaks and its still on snug

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/14/07 at 08:27:03

You should have used an acetylene torch and liquid nitrogen...

Just kidding.  Seems like about 50% of us have this kind of trouble.  I really don't think it has to do with the Trapp as much as the stock header though.

Do loosen the header bolts at the head a bit, if you haven't.  But don't remove it.  You already have enough moving parts to deal with.  I don't think the Trapp will slide all the way up on the header flange...or that it is really intended to go all the way.

Since ours went on (snug, I admit), I guess that I can't help much without actually seeing it.  Maybe consider crimping, cutting a short slit or shortening the flange if that will help.  Be careful hammering the Trapp though.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 04/14/07 at 08:53:57

The one sluggo has on his bobber came off my 96. On the 96 it fit up to the collar on the head pipe correctly, on sluggos (04 I think) I had to use the chop saw and cut the head pipe down to the front edge of the weld joining the inner and outer pipe to get it close. I think Suzuki changed the way the did the header pipe at some point. It has been on inconsistent problem as I remember. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/14/07 at 09:28:59

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The one sluggo has on his bobber came off my 96. On the 96 it fit up to the collar on the head pipe correctly, on sluggos (04 I think) I had to use the chop saw and cut the head pipe down to the front edge of the weld joining the inner and outer pipe to get it close. I think Suzuki changed the way the did the header pipe at some point. It has been on inconsistent problem as I remember. Max

Yeah, you wanna talk about inconsistencies?  Check this out...(might be a little off topic, but I think it relates to Max's idea)

I recently dragged out my old header for a little photo shoot.  Never really looked at it real close, but figured I'd wipe it out for for the camera Smiley

Inside the inlet of the stock header is a short reducer ring that's welded in place.  It is actually in addition to the double walled part of the pipe.  It's just a reducer and that's all (could be removed with a grinder to open the exhaust I think).

Notice anything?  First, look at all the weld splatter.  Second...What the heck is that dimple on the left side of the reducer ring?

How's that for consistent manufacturing?

IP Logged
mclutter
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Anchorage, Alaska
Reply #9 - 04/14/07 at 11:01:11

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
BTW,
Don't go beyond 6 discs without rejetting the carb.
I've rejetted and am now running 13 discs.

If you put off rejetting the carb at 6 discs, your front pipe will begin to turn yellow. You can polish this out, but don't let it go to far, or it will go blue.

What is this Disc stuff all about. Someone please explain. Thank you very much.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/14/07 at 11:34:21

Trapps are tuneable and adjustable by the number of "baffle" disks that you install in the outlet.

Unlike the idea of more baffles equals less noise or flow, it's just the opposite.  The more you add, the louder or better the flow out of the exhaust.  They sandwich under the end cap of the pipe with bolts (in the external ones)

The pipe comes with 8.  As GEO said, if you add more than 6 you'll need to rejet.  The Trapp can have as many as 18 disks installed.

Here's my spouse's with 14...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/14/07 at 11:37:03

Don't forget to clean that Supertrapp very well before ya run it. It will change colors & they wont warranty it. I used a kitchen degreaser & polished it with Semichrome metal polish. If ya read the destructions very carefully, you will see they tell ya to do that.

IP Logged
noshow
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 04/14/07 at 20:15:29

Update. After several different attempts to get the pipe on, I still kept telling myself I wasn't going to cut it.

And in the end, I didn't have to.

I came up with an idea that was silly to begin with but crap...it worked.

The Trapp has expanding joints already cut in the pipe. The header is simply to thick to do much with (minus cutting it) so I decided to run it down the road a mile just enough to get that baby nice and warm.....but not too hot of course.

I figured since the muffler already had joints cut, it would expand much easier and faster than the header.

So I loosened the bolts and clamp I put on as a temp and gave it a few good wacks with a rubber mallet.

It still didn't get all the way to the flange of the header pipe but it moved just enough to fit real snug and not have any leaks. So I tightened everything up and wa-la.

Note I did settle for only 1 screw, but I am hopeful that it will keep it on tight enough.

I'll still have to monitor it of course but I think its a fix.

Now on to the carb, but its too rainy outside to take it for a stroll. Forecast rain for the next two days......but just the initial start up was well worth the headache.

It went from a Stinger Sewing Machine to an actual bike. The sound quality alone has me excited.

I have the stuff for a rejet already here but I want to wait till I can see the difference with just 6 disks and stock jets.

A friend has an 96 savage with a sportster installed and he was blown away with the sound. I think its going to be fun when I take it for its first test run.

Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/14/07 at 22:26:29

noshow wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Update. After several different attempts to get the pipe on, I still kept telling myself I wasn't going to cut it.

And in the end, I didn't have to.

I came up with an idea that was silly to begin with but crap...it worked.

The Trapp has expanding joints already cut in the pipe. The header is simply to thick to do much with (minus cutting it) so I decided to run it down the road a mile just enough to get that baby nice and warm.....but not too hot of course.

I figured since the muffler already had joints cut, it would expand much easier and faster than the header.

So I loosened the bolts and clamp I put on as a temp and gave it a few good wacks with a rubber mallet.

It still didn't get all the way to the flange of the header pipe but it moved just enough to fit real snug and not have any leaks. So I tightened everything up and wa-la.

Note I did settle for only 1 screw, but I am hopeful that it will keep it on tight enough.

I'll still have to monitor it of course but I think its a fix.

Now on to the carb, but its too rainy outside to take it for a stroll. Forecast rain for the next two days......but just the initial start up was well worth the headache.

It went from a Stinger Sewing Machine to an actual bike. The sound quality alone has me excited.

I have the stuff for a rejet already here but I want to wait till I can see the difference with just 6 disks and stock jets.

A friend has an 96 savage with a sportster installed and he was blown away with the sound. I think its going to be fun when I take it for its first test run.

Cheesy

Great!

Before you get it good and hot, though...You did use anti-seize on those bolts didn't you?

Just ask Stinger (if he stops lurking).  He can tell you why Tongue

IP Logged
noshow
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 04/15/07 at 18:51:11

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Great!

Before you get it good and hot, though...You did use anti-seize on those bolts didn't you?

Just ask Stinger (if he stops lurking).  He can tell you why Tongue

After getting the pipe on, I haven't had a chance yet to take it out for a test run.  Rain non stop for 2 days now....

What's the need for anti-seize for clamps and 1 T bolt holding it in place? Did I miss something or am I not seeing the whole picture for later down the road.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:26:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › supertrapp install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.