Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
She's real fine my Ninety Nine (Read 202 times)
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Re: She's real fine my Ninety Nine
Reply #15 - 04/16/07 at 13:50:54

geo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The 5 speed gearbox:
This bike does not need the 5th speed. I rarely use my 5th gear. I usually don't go above 3rd gear. I go to 4th if I need to go faster than 55mph for any length of time.
I wish I had a lower 1st gear so I could idle at about 5mph. Idle is about 9mph stock.

Geo, I have seen you say several times that you didn't like the gears in the Savage. I was the same way, only I wanted to go the other way. All most any street bike
with a 4-5 tranny will give you what you have now. Even the 6 speed just ads a taller overdrive gear. There are only a couple of ways to get what you want that I can think of. One is change to chain, and go with a 16/52(3.25ratio) or 15/52(3.47ratio). Remember that the stock ratio is 2.96, and the higher the number, the more rpms for the same speed. You would only have a top speed(screaming) of about 70-75 with these ratios.
The only other way I know of is a Ridley Motorcycle. They run with a belt ,drive train that work just like a snowmobile. The less gas you give it the slower you go, no gear shifting involved. It an automatic that doesn't shift, just goes faster and slower like a snowmobile, using the same type of belt and clutch. The Ridley weighs 450 lbs and is a 740cc v-twin. They have several models, and they were  called 3/4 size.This was the early models that had a 570cc motor and only weighed 225lbs. They are really about the same size as the Savage. They now make the full size 450lb bikes with the 740cc motor, and I heard rumors of a bigger motor being available. ONE PROBLEM they cost as much as a Harley. They start at about $9,000, and that was for the smaller 3/4 size bike YIKES!!! I couldn't believe the price when I sent for a brochure. I was thinking of getting one for my wife,God rest her soul, but when I seen the price SHE said forget it. That was 4 years ago and I don't imagine the prices went down. I hope this helps. I know what it is like to not be happy with what you got. That was why I went to chain.    Hutch

I just went to e-bay and they have 3 Ridleys. One 3/4 size that they don't make anymore and 2 full size 740cc bikes. If you look at the prices you will see what I mean, YIKES!!!

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #16 - 04/16/07 at 23:00:25

Hey Hutch, thanks for the pointer to the Ridley's. I'd never seen them before, and went to their site to check them out. Pretty cool looking stuff, and actually along some ideas I was chewing on a while back.

I'm not to crazy about the looks of Ridley's 90º V-Twin, but the 90º does have a natural lesser vibration than the 45º like a Harley (and most of the modern-come-lately's).  

The CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission) tranny isn't a new deal either, as you pointed out, they've used them in snowmobiles for a long time. But being south of most the snow keeps me from knowing squat about snowmobiles! Wink

But I have seen them in over-sized mini bikes and mini-choppers up to 10hp or so. They use a little version called a Torq-a-verter (sp?) Same principal: Two V-drive pullies that change ratio at a proportional scale, and a wicked strong V-belt. They are even in cars now, like the new Dodge Caliber. Pretty good idea, and a great setup IMO, but I don't know if I can give up the habit of selecting my own gear for a given situation.

I'll tell you the truth though, I don't know why those Ridley cycles should be so expensive, other than the custom work; because that CVT tranny should be stone-age simple, and cheap, to build compared to the innards of a typical gear and clutch drive system.

Still, they are making some nice looking stuff. Seems there is a dealer within 20 miles of me. I might have to go have a sit-down with someone and see what their deal is... If nothing else, just to solve my curiosity.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #17 - 04/17/07 at 14:32:26

Rockin_John, I like the look also, but like you I don't see the cost for the same reason. You would think fewer parts would mean less money.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #18 - 04/07/14 at 07:42:45

Hey Rockin John I see the OP is from 07 so I don't know if your still on here or even still have your sweet lookin chop but if you do and are. I want to do a chop like yours only I'm going to eventually add a tall old school sissy for my old lady and to have a back bag attached to as well as my plate and stop light and I might just might depending on what I think after that add a sportster tank to it, not sure yet though anyway

My question is other than the fork tubes what else did you need to do the swap and how did you go about doing it?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 04/07/14 at 09:12:49

wickedbiker wrote on 04/07/14 at 07:42:45:
Hey Rockin John I see the OP is from 07 so I don't know if your still on here or even still have your sweet lookin chop but if you do and are. I want to do a chop like yours only I'm going to eventually add a tall old school sissy for my old lady and to have a back bag attached to as well as my plate and stop light and I might just might depending on what I think after that add a sportster tank to it, not sure yet though anyway

My question is other than the fork tubes what else did you need to do the swap and how did you go about doing it?

Rocking John has not been logged onto this forum for about a year.  If you go to the left side of any post and click on the members ID, it will open up a page that shows their last post, and when they were last online....and if the member has an email address listed you can also contact them by email.

This helps you to avoid asking a question that may never be answered.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:24:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › She's real fine my Ninety Nine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.