NOT a battery question? (Read 29 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: NOT a battery question?
Reply #75 - 04/22/07 at 14:11:16

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Ah, idle speed and not starting are not really related unless you use the choke at the wrong time Smiley

It started all day. Just when i started it hot, it was really rough like it wasn't getting enough fuel. So i pulled out the choke to up the idle speed. Wrong thing to do? (dumb question?) Just remember 'newbie'! Tongue

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #76 - 04/22/07 at 22:29:31

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
It started all day. Just when i started it hot, it was really rough like it wasn't getting enough fuel. So i pulled out the choke to up the idle speed. Wrong thing to do? (dumb question?) Just remember 'newbie'! Tongue

Not dumb, it's just a nob on the carb Cheesy

Remember the starting instructions for cold starting state to use the choke.  Doesn't say anything about warm starts, does it?

If the engine is hot you shouldn't even have to touch the throttle either.  Just push the button...(and hold the clutch in, and have the side stand in the right place, or have it in neutral) Tongue

IP Logged
mad
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 04/23/07 at 09:25:55

This sounds like my problem. I am having trouble with a 1987 LS 650 (new battery).

Last night I was three minutes into a ride and the motor cut out. Then I hit the start button and nothing happened. After a few tries she started and I hoped it was nothing. Today she started in near freezing weather and made it for over an hour on the Autobahn without a problem. I stopped in a rest area for a few minutes and the starter would not start. It started after a few tries and I finished the ride.

I got to work and just too see what was going on, I tried to restart her and noting happened. I can hear a click under the tank (I assume it is the Decompression Solenoid) and the neutral light goes out. That’s the part that throws me. I don’t think it’s the battery because the headlight is still on and the high beam indicator works.

My thinking is she thinks she is in gear while in neutral. My starter solenoid went out last year, and it was sporadic like this until it completely went out. The neutral light is odd.

I am not positive, but I thought the neutral indicator was lit when the problem started.  The area around the starter has a film of motor oil from a leak in or around my head gasket.

And the side stand was down and up, the bike was in neutral, the kill switch was in the on position and everything was like normal, minus starting.

Anybody have any idea? I am sure it is not the battery and I am broke down in a small village without any bike mechanics or my too by near by.

Tomorrow a co-worker will bring me a cable to jump from the battery to the starter.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #78 - 04/23/07 at 09:32:40

You said the neutral light went out.  

Will the bike start with the side stand in the up position?

IP Logged
mad
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 04/23/07 at 09:55:46

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
You said the neutral light went out.  

Will the bike start with the side stand in the up position?

No.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #80 - 04/23/07 at 10:47:10

mad wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
No.

That shoots my idea.

Good luck.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #81 - 04/23/07 at 11:45:34

With the neutral light droping out, I would think it would be related.  Maybe a bad neutral switch.

The lighting circuits are independant of the run/kill switch.  How does the interlock interelate to the neutral light?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #82 - 04/23/07 at 12:02:00

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
With the neutral light droping out, I would think it would be related.  Maybe a bad neutral switch.

The lighting circuits are independant of the run/kill switch.  How does the interlock interelate to the neutral light?   Grin

You know that answer Tongue  The neutral switch takes the diode to ground.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:17:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NOT a battery question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.