Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: NOT a battery question?
Reply #60 - 04/21/07 at 07:24:15

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
OK, everyone stand up! Bravo! Bravo!   Grin

No doubt.  Skatnbnc, well done!  I wouldn't pay for a f**ktard to sit on my bike and demonstrate how clue-free he was either.  Watch out for easy-to-lose springs when you open the starter button assembly.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
JJulian
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 04/21/07 at 07:25:27

I'm a little late joining this thread, but I noticed nobody mentioned the voltage regulator.  It seems that the low water level in a fairly new battery would indicate that it's been overcharging.  I don't know much about Suzuki's regulator/rectifiers tho--maybe somone smarter than me can pick up on this.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #62 - 04/21/07 at 07:27:33

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Dude - they made me sign a work order saying I would pay $20 to have it looked at, and he never even load tested the battery!!!
Not like I was gonna let him after that performance either.  Needless to say I left them with the work order unpaid .

Yep the impact tools are coming back out this morning, and thanks for the tank towel tip - I am rather proud of how shiny my bike looks even with daily riding to work.

And I printed out Max's notes on battery checking, so if this does not work, there are other options to try.

Dudette, Now getting back to the original problem (or lack there of).  Just how many times did that bad battery get your bike started yesterday?  Grin

I think that I'd be looking all over that bike.  As long as it is starting you will have a hell of a time finding the problem.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #63 - 04/21/07 at 07:37:17

Yes, I too thought I might not be going through the correct starting procedure. I double checked everything, to the point of getting off the bike and starting from ground zero with the manual in hand.

This is exactly what I do:
1. insert key and turn to ON (not Park!)
2. Neutral light comes on (as does headlamp)
3. Pull out choke button
4. Press red kill button to ON position
5. Depress and hold (squeeze) clutch lever
6. Press ignition switch
At this point I either get silence or VROOM.

Mind you all - I have NEVER had it not start from cold first try. This starting issue only shows up after I've been riding and stop, then go back shortly to ride again.

I physically got off the bike and then back on after 10 minutes. Again, I checked ALL the wiring connections thinking it might be a wire getting squished or uncoupled when I sit down. Nada.

I've tried starting withthe kickstand up and down because of that funky button thing on the kickstand that can stall you out if it is not up when you switch from neutral to 1st gear.

There does NOT seem to be any noise when I press the starter button. Not even a click.

As pointed out previously this bike is practically BRAND NEW.  I've ridden weekly from Sept when I purchased it all through the winter.  This starting issue has just begun within the past 4 weeks.  

I'm stumped!  Tongue

Back to the original symptoms....
Either she starts or does nothing at all.  No clicks, cranks or anything at all.  While there are a number of possibilities (the starter switch amongst them), the most common I've seen on this site has been the "safety" interlocks, usually the kickstand's switch.  I would check to be sure it's not loose and then try bypassing it.  If that's not it, try the clutch interlock next.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #64 - 04/21/07 at 08:09:09

There are 3 interlocks (that I know of) kickstand, clutch, neutral.

With the kickstand up, it will start in gear with the clutch pulled in.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #65 - 04/21/07 at 08:13:55

Yes...

and yes... 8)

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #66 - 04/21/07 at 11:56:42

I went over the bike today with a fine tooth comb. Took the starter apart, found nothing wrong, but cleaned it anyway.  Well, there were spiderwebs in there so I cleaned that out (how DO they get in there!??)

Went over the rest of the bike in the warm bright sunshine thinking, "I should be out riding!!"

Put the starter back together, spray painted over some frame scratches, scrubs the bugs out of the tiny spaces, made new attachments for my saddlebags so now they snap off in seconds (a thought that occured after having to untie the dang leather thongs 4 times yesyerday in my repair attempt adventures).

No loose wires, no loose connections, no loose screws, no pinched wires, all wiggly items oiled, all other items spanking clean, tight were supposed to be, and she starts right up.  So I am going to take her out late this afternoon and again tomorrow to see how it goes.

I will of course let you all know how long this lasts....!  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #67 - 04/21/07 at 13:41:14

Hope you have your MoTow card with you Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 04/21/07 at 13:43:40

Yes, I too thought I might not be going through the correct starting procedure. I double checked everything, to the point of getting off the bike and starting from ground zero with the manual in hand.

This is exactly what I do:
1. insert key and turn to ON (not Park!)
2. Neutral light comes on (as does headlamp)
3. Pull out choke button
4. Press red kill button to ON position
5. Depress and hold (squeeze) clutch lever
6. Press ignition switch
At this point I either get silence or VROOM.

Mind you all - I have NEVER had it not start from cold first try. This starting issue only shows up after I've been riding and stop, then go back shortly to ride again.

I physically got off the bike and then back on after 10 minutes. Again, I checked ALL the wiring connections thinking it might be a wire getting squished or uncoupled when I sit down. Nada.

I've tried starting withthe kickstand up and down because of that funky button thing on the kickstand that can stall you out if it is not up when you switch from neutral to 1st gear.

There does NOT seem to be any noise when I press the starter button. Not even a click.

As pointed out previously this bike is practically BRAND NEW.  I've ridden weekly from Sept when I purchased it all through the winter.  This starting issue has just begun within the past 4 weeks.  

I'm stumped!  Tongue

My 05 S40 started doing that. It would just die as I slowed down after it warmed up, then , wouldnt even try to crank for several minutes. I saw the "I am stranded" writing on the wall, so asked for help. I was told"Cl;ean the starter button" Did that, didn't do Hoot, but needed done, black crud aplenty in there. Bypassed the sidestand switch, using a sadle tap to short the wires. Bypassed the clutch interlock, another sadletap. On the sidestand I bypassed the diodes that are in there.That didnt solve the problem. It did get better when I replaced the battery, but I STILL get on it afetr riding(No more shutdown While I am riding, Dont know what fixed that, either of the bypass jobs, did them at the same time) So, in order to not get stuck & unable to start, I wired a micro switch into the wire that feeds the decomp relay. Now, no matter what, I can crank it UPPP. If you cant figure the answer, holler at me & I will walk you thru this easy fix. It is such a low current installation, one of the tiny little switches on the face of a dvd player is handling the job & has started it many times. It will crank the engine over( wont start, of course) without there even being a key in it. The switch is hidden, totally, but can be reached easily.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #69 - 04/21/07 at 16:27:09

By-pass wiring is where I draw the line on my self-help ability. I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to keep eliminating other things as it goes.

I had a hard enough time with the tiny pieces in the starter button. All that cheap a*ss plastic in there - anything could crack or vibrate apart and how would ya know?  Tongue

Never did get out to ride today - the washing machine is backing dirty soap water up into the toilet, sink and bathtub. Vent trouble for sure. Got any plumbers online?  Wink

Maybe I will go out on the bike - at least it's DRY!  Cheesy

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #70 - 04/21/07 at 21:24:10

By-pass wiring is where I draw the line on my self-help ability. I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to keep eliminating other things as it goes.

I had a hard enough time with the tiny pieces in the starter button. All that cheap a*ss plastic in there - anything could crack or vibrate apart and how would ya know?  Tongue

Never did get out to ride today - the washing machine is backing dirty soap water up into the toilet, sink and bathtub. Vent trouble for sure. Got any plumbers online?  Wink

Maybe I will go out on the bike - at least it's DRY!  Cheesy

Just let us know if it starts on the first try tomorrow Smiley

I do some plumbing, no toilets Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #71 - 04/21/07 at 22:17:05

You got a plug in your sewer line.
Either call rotor-rooter or go down to the local rental and rent a rooter and root it your self (say that five times)

if you call you'll have time to ride.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #72 - 04/22/07 at 06:00:46

As it turns out, this Lady Savage is a good ol' Tarheel from NC....

So here is a photo of her bike, battery, book and baster.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #73 - 04/22/07 at 12:41:40

Okay, you guys had one thing right - it is probably not the battery.

I went out at 9:30 AM this morning, rode around all day and just got back, and had no trouble starting it except for the one time I got right back on after a quick stop, and it was super hot.  It could not seem to find a good idle speed, and putzed out even when I tried using the choke.

I wiped the bugs off and will be going out again soon, but if the problem were the battery I think it would have recurred by now.  Unfortunatley, it is going to be one of those difficult to diagnose things...oh well, back on the road!

Roto-roter will get a call first thing tomorrow, and btw, that piece of paper in my battery repair photo (lower right corner) right next to the manual is the print out of all your great advice!  Grin
Thanks - you all ROCK!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #74 - 04/22/07 at 13:30:25

It could not seem to find a good idle speed, and putzed out even when I tried using the choke.

Ah, idle speed and not starting are not really related unless you use the choke at the wrong time Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:30:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NOT a battery question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.