YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: NOT a battery question?
Reply #45 - 04/19/07 at 13:39:36

some of the auto stores that sell batteries also test them for free.  but I don't know if they also sell m/c batteries.

in a skirt? was that a questioning look appraising your sanity or a look of insane desire to watch?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #46 - 04/19/07 at 21:10:07

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Difference on load vs charge - THANK YOU for clarification.

Will swing the bike over to a shop soon (tommorrow maybe) and get the LOAD checked.  

When I went to the store to pick up the meter, the guy said the meter will help only if it is not a load problem (confirming all your helpful advice). He also looked at me as if i was insane when I told him I was going to take it apart and work on it myself this weekend.

Why does wearing a skirt get me this kind of response?!  Tongue

Next time wear your chaps.

No confusion Smiley

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #47 - 04/19/07 at 22:27:06

I had an intermittant starting problem last year, I finally got some Q-tips and Laquer thinner together and took my Kill and Start switches apart, (watch out for the small springs and stuff) cleaned the black road grunge out and put them back together, the problem starting thing went away, maybe I was lucky? Might be worth a try tho, the contacts in these switches are small and it doesn't take much dirt to mess them up.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #48 - 04/19/07 at 22:35:47

Or the other thing happens...you take it apart and fix it without knowing it and then think the q-tips did it Tongue

Darned gremlins...

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #49 - 04/19/07 at 22:50:51

If you have some help and want to do a load simulation test with the new meter you bought, here is the drill. When we load test a battery we put the specified number of amps load on it with a testing device and look at the voltage after 15 seconds, minimum is 9.6V.  Voltage when you start the test if the engine has not been run for an hour or so should be 12.6V * with the key off, there is another couple tests but for now we will ignore them. Connect the DVOM (meter) to the battery+ and - posts (seat has to be off for ease of connections). Then, observing the meter while your helper cranks with the throttle turn WFO (wide full open) so it won't start, the voltage should not go below 10.V after cranking to a count of 3 ten thousand. As this is shorter time and at a lighter load than a cold weather, cold engine crank that is why we use a 10,V minimum for this test. If your DVOM records Min/Max/Average , then read how to use that feature and you don't need any help as you can focus on the bike controls and let the meter record and then look at the numbers. * a 12V battery is 6ea.  2.1V cells in series = 12.6 volts open circuit (no load) when fully charged and the surface charge from recent charging is removed. If the voltage reading is below 12.4 volts the battery needs to be charged before testing using this method. A DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) must be used as an analog (needle type) meter will not read accurately enough and the meter movement draws a load so it the first voltage test is not really open circuit.  FWIW, these #'s are good for your cage, ATV, boat starting battery or whatever.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #50 - 04/19/07 at 22:59:54

There was actually lots of black gunk in the switches, so I'm convinced the Q-tips and laquer thinner helped.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #51 - 04/20/07 at 07:00:40

That starter cleaning I may try based on whatever happens after the battery load check today.

I saw on another thread the comment that people use this list to get help doing things themselves rather than go to the stealership. And i was asked how much work I want to do on my bike.

The answer is - you guys help me decide what I think I can handle on my own, and when I need to finally bend over and pass the soap.

For certain I will be doing my own oil changes, regular maintenance and possibly some modifications down the road.
I can say that changing a tire is out of my range because I am one person without much muscle power to handle that on my own, no matter how many fancy wrenches or irons I buy - and I know this now because I read the tire changing thread.

End result is that I take what you all have to say, and go from there. I appreciate all the input, which has resulted in my being able to do more than I thought on my own.  Cheesy Yea team!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #52 - 04/20/07 at 09:26:44

smokey02 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
There was actually lots of black gunk in the switches, so I'm convinced the Q-tips and laquer thinner helped.

Okie dokie Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #53 - 04/20/07 at 09:29:07

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
That starter cleaning I may try based on whatever happens after the battery load check today.

I saw on another thread the comment that people use this list to get help doing things themselves rather than go to the stealership. And i was asked how much work I want to do on my bike.

The answer is - you guys help me decide what I think I can handle on my own, and when I need to finally bend over and pass the soap.

For certain I will be doing my own oil changes, regular maintenance and possibly some modifications down the road.
I can say that changing a tire is out of my range because I am one person without much muscle power to handle that on my own, no matter how many fancy wrenches or irons I buy - and I know this now because I read the tire changing thread.

End result is that I take what you all have to say, and go from there. I appreciate all the input, which has resulted in my being able to do more than I thought on my own.  Cheesy Yea team!

As the He said, "A man's got to know his limitations"....Lady Savages too Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #54 - 04/20/07 at 09:32:06

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
If you have some help and want to do a load simulation test with the new meter you bought, here is the drill. When we load test a battery we put the specified number of amps load on it with a testing device and look at the voltage after 15 seconds, minimum is 9.6V.  Voltage when you start the test if the engine has not been run for an hour or so should be 12.6V * with the key off, there is another couple tests but for now we will ignore them. Connect the DVOM (meter) to the battery+ and - posts (seat has to be off for ease of connections). Then, observing the meter while your helper cranks with the throttle turn WFO (wide full open) so it won't start, the voltage should not go below 10.V after cranking to a count of 3 ten thousand. As this is shorter time and at a lighter load than a cold weather, cold engine crank that is why we use a 10,V minimum for this test. If your DVOM records Min/Max/Average , then read how to use that feature and you don't need any help as you can focus on the bike controls and let the meter record and then look at the numbers. * a 12V battery is 6ea.  2.1V cells in series = 12.6 volts open circuit (no load) when fully charged and the surface charge from recent charging is removed. If the voltage reading is below 12.4 volts the battery needs to be charged before testing using this method. A DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) must be used as an analog (needle type) meter will not read accurately enough and the meter movement draws a load so it the first voltage test is not really open circuit.  FWIW, these #'s are good for your cage, ATV, boat starting battery or whatever.  Max

Good write up Max.  Well explained.  Even I'll be able to remember that.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #55 - 04/20/07 at 12:00:06

A trip to the AutoZone resulted in nada as they said their machine 'doesn't do motorcycles'.

A trip to the gas station ended up getting me riled because the attendant refused to allow me to add air to my own rear tire, ended up dropping my psi lower than when i started, and finally got a tiny bit of air in and said that was all the tire would take (23 psi when it is supposed to be at 33). Urg.  Angry

Went from there to the local stealership as the only place in town that can check MC battery load.  And, are you all ready for this ~ Put your helmets on!

I told them why I wanted the battery checked, so the head mechanic came out ot the parking lot, sat on my bike and tried to start it more than a DOZEN times.....without engaging the clutch.

I am at the SUZUKI motorcycle dealership service dept with my SUZUKI bike....and they don't know how to start it.  I stood there and watched him silently, getting madder by the second.

So he finally figures out that little trick (duh) and says after starting and stopping my bike multiple times, that he thinks the starter button has something in it and it needs replaced. I said fine, I'll take it apart and clean it myself, get off my bike you moron, see ya bye.

They did put air in my tire for free....gee thanks, glad I didn't push the knowledge envelope there.
(I checked after them with my digital tire guage and they did actually get the pressure correct).

So, as stated earlier, I'll take the starter button apart this weekend and see if it does the trick.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 04/20/07 at 14:12:12

OK, everyone stand up! Bravo! Bravo!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #57 - 04/20/07 at 15:33:21

So, after the "head mechanic" couldn't start your bike, do you really think he'd know if the starter button has a problem?  

That's just the first thing that he'd change if you brought it in for repair.  The second would probably be the starter relay.  The third would be the decompression module.  Forth would be the battery...and he'd never "troubleshoot" anything!  Just replace parts and write your bill.

It's not just Suzuki.  All dealers do it....but that's why you've found yourself at SuzukiSavage.com isn't it?

Welcome to the forum for fixing your bike.  Time to break out the phillips screwdriver, q-tips and open the starter button....

Grin

PS - you might have to use a hammer with that screwdriver to break those screws loose too.

PSS - put an old towel or blanket over your tank before you start Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #58 - 04/20/07 at 15:36:02

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
OK, everyone stand up! Bravo! Bravo!   Grin

Exactly...my hats off to the Lady Savage.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #59 - 04/21/07 at 06:07:33

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
So, after the "head mechanic" couldn't start your bike, do you really think he'd know if the starter button has a problem?
PS - you might have to use a hammer with that screwdriver to break those screws loose too.
PSS - put an old towel or blanket over your tank before you start Tongue

Dude - they made me sign a work order saying I would pay $20 to have it looked at, and he never even load tested the battery!!!
Not like I was gonna let him after that performance either.  Needless to say I left them with the work order unpaid .

Yep the impact tools are coming back out this morning, and thanks for the tank towel tip - I am rather proud of how shiny my bike looks even with daily riding to work.

And I printed out Max's notes on battery checking, so if this does not work, there are other options to try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:33:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NOT a battery question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.