Send Topic Print
NOT a battery question? (Read 29 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
NOT a battery question?
04/12/07 at 18:22:47

Have an 06, and had super fun with it since purchase last year.
I've been riding all winter, and just began to have a problem with starting. Both times, i had already been out on the bike, then went back to head home and could not start it.  Both times i was eventually able to get it going, but had no clue how or why it finally started.

Lights on, neutral lite fine, horn works; but no ignition or start (no choke or throttle problems).
Went through all the normal checks, and took the seat off to make certain everything was connected. All good.

The one thing I found was it appears there is no fluid in the battery window.
So the manaul says to add distilled water if the battery window shows low fluid...HOW do you do that??  Taking it out is a MAJOR expedition, so any assistance in avoiding that would be great.

BTW - thanks to the article on those dog-gone flimsy screws, i have one soaking under wd40 hoping for loosening by the weekend when the whole thing gets a work down. The hammer and screwdriver technique has already been tried. Being a girl with hardly any upper body strength is a pain when you are trying to work on your bike!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: battery question
Reply #1 - 04/12/07 at 19:02:23

Hey welcome aboard.

Almost pulling the battery to check and fill with water is a required task for the stock wet cell battery - if you want to save yourself the headache in the future replace it with an AGM battery like the Big Crank - be the best 50 bucks you can spend on your bike.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #2 - 04/12/07 at 19:07:34

Ummm...okay, I'll pull it this weekend, but I am still clueless even after reading the oh-so-not-technical manual.  Once the battery is out, does the top come off? Where do you put the water?

I ride to and from the office daily, so this is a pressing concern (as in i need to get it fixed pronto).

And i will check out the alternative battery type - this is too much fussing around when i just want to be out riding!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/12/07 at 19:13:05

yes - there are caps that screw off or a strip that lifts up to add water

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/12/07 at 19:19:42

I to have an AGM battery (not a big crank as my used bike came with a new battery - will replace in due course with much recommended big crank) - maintenance free living!

As it is you need to pull the battery - a bit of a pain hence recommend an AGM if yours is shot.

As your battery is/was out of fluid it may be wrecked, but recommend you take it out, fill to correct markings on each cell (with distilled not tap water - such as you'd put in an iron) & charge it with the cell tops off on a low charge - it might be OK. remember - no sparks or lit matches/cigs around a battery when caps are off & it is charging - it can explode (I'm not kidding!)

maybe you are lucky & it will then hold a charge (a car parts  place may be able to check if it is shot for you - call them before taking it in & keep level when transporting in car.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/13/07 at 11:23:16

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Ummm...okay, I'll pull it this weekend, but I am still clueless even after reading the oh-so-not-technical manual.  Once the battery is out, does the top come off? Where do you put the water?

I ride to and from the office daily, so this is a pressing concern (as in i need to get it fixed pronto).

And i will check out the alternative battery type - this is too much fussing around when i just want to be out riding!

Obviously, you don't have much experience with batteries.  As they say, "Just Do It."

But disconnect the negative battery cable on the left side before anything else.  That means talking off the seat and possibly the left side cover, first.  Then go to the right side and do the rest.

That will save you surprises, and maybe fuses, too Tongue

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 04/13/07 at 14:11:15

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

Addendum to other's recommedations: I take the battery all the way out (standard electrolytic non-maintenance free type). Either use a basting bulb, or go to a Vet and get a LARGE syringe like they use on big animals. Either work well for adding small measureable amounts of distilled water. Oh... and not all of the little caps unscrew from batteries that have them; some you just pull out like a cork.

I agree with others... Big Crank maintenence free Gel cell battery is some very well spent money.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/13/07 at 17:07:02

just a suggestion - like I said I don't have a Big Crank just another brand AGM battery, but to help skatnbnc maybe someone who does could give him the Big Crank serial number for the type they have which will fit his bike to a "T"

just a thought... Smiley

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #8 - 04/13/07 at 17:15:01

try this....this is the one I have....fit perfectly

http://www.batterymart.com/c-suzuki-l650-savage-all-1986-2002.html

I got the battery tender jr. with it as well

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 04/13/07 at 20:43:49

Sweet - y'all ROCK!  Kiss

After reading all this I feel MUCH better about pulling the battery tomorrow. Yes, I know nothing about batteries (other than the explosive thing), YES i am a newbie to bikes, and YES i am learning as i go.

Can't wait to try my new impact tools but if it turns out wanky tomorrow, I'll get the suggested replacement, if for no other reason than not to have to do this again anytime soon.

Thanks ever so much for the advice - love it!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #10 - 04/14/07 at 11:52:33

This morning I followed the instructions you guys gave me and....SUCCESS!!!  Impact tools worked like a charm, battery removed, distilled water filled the little yellow capped holes (using the turkey baster - sweet tip), and finally replacement, then ZOOM ZOOM!

That was just plain EASY!  No wonder you all thought i was crazy for even asking.

I rode to the store a bit ago, and everything is great. Thanks to all for the help, I appreciate it very much!  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/14/07 at 12:03:50

Great!

Another Suzuki Savage Success Story (should be referred to  "4S" from now on)

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: NOT a battery question?
Reply #12 - 04/17/07 at 10:05:29

Okay guys - the same problem is BACK!  ???

I added distilled water to the battery (which it needed) last Saturday. Bike started right up and has been run twice since then.

Rode to work this morning, rode to an errand, came out 5 minutes later and the bike would not start.

Same symptoms as before: all lights work, horn, flashers fine. Choke adjusted, bike still very warm from being run a few minutes earlier. No starter action.

Waited 5 minutes, tried again, nothing. Waited 5 more minutes, bike started right up no hesitation. What the??

Hmmm. Anyone have any OTHER ideas as to the problem or what I need to check?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 04/17/07 at 10:27:16

do you have a digital volt meter? - you need to know the voltage for sure. when it does this do you hear a click at all?

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/17/07 at 11:02:37

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 19:57:47 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:17:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NOT a battery question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.