Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
is sputtering/popping normal? (Read 16 times)
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
is sputtering/popping normal?
04/11/07 at 18:15:26

I just put a Sportster muffler on my bike and rejetted the carb.  I am using a 144 main jet, the stock pilot, and have used the dynojet needle with about a 2/3rds spacer.  The bike runs great and I have no more backfires, but when I am "coasting" down a hill (meaning in gear but giving the throttle no gas) I hear sputters and little pops coming out of the pipe.  Now I am wondering if this is normal or something I have to work on fixing?  Its not obnoxious but I never noticed it with the stock pipe.

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: is sputtering/popping normal?
Reply #1 - 04/11/07 at 20:50:34

it might help others give you advice if they knew what altitude you  are running @. welcome to site!  Smiley

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/11/07 at 20:52:00

mine both sing pretty good on decl - no bangs or anything

By the way the dynojet needle has several groves right? - shouldn't need to sand the spacer down

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/11/07 at 21:07:16

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 19:58:16 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 04/11/07 at 21:37:34

Welcome to Thumper country.

All thumpers tend to rack off and pop to some extent on a decel.  Just the nature of a big single.  As Jim said, it is a serenade song to thumper lovers.  Mine makes all kinds of ruckus when I'm coastin'.  I love it Grin

If it is running good and isn't backfiring or belching out black smoke you are probably just fine.

Just remember, "Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow".  That's as good as it gets Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/12/07 at 07:31:58

I've spent a good bit of time & $$$ getting that poor asthmatic Suzuki 650 to where it is. I think I may have a slight leak at the Trapp/header joint. I don't get the big shotgun backfires but I get some racket. I can't help but smile. Now that I have the Trapp on it, I sometimes use the clutch to shift, just so I can hear that engine rumble as it unwinds. It's a fun machine & the sound is a part of it. I know WHY I blip the throttle. Those guys riding the bikes that have the strangled exhaust that is barely audible? I know why they blip the throttle too. They are wondering if theirs is still running. I want to HEar mine,,,

IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #6 - 04/12/07 at 08:06:05

I live in Florida so probably I am at 0 feet above sea level.  I've read that with the dynojet needle you don't need to shave the spacer, but since mine was only shaved down only about 1/3 of the way, it fell in between two "grooves," making it only slightly deeper than what would be a half-spacer with the stock needle.  Since it was running great I didn't change it but kept the original needle just in case I need to go back.  I might be running a bit rich b.c. the muff has deposited a bit of black soot on my rear brake arm over the past three weeks, but the smoke itself comes out looking clear.

I am getting a shipment of jets in soon and thinking of going up to 150 for the main and maybe a 52.5 for the pilot (the one with the holes).   What do you all think?  Should I go back to the original needle and not use the dynojet?

It sounds like it is running fine and so maybe I shouldn't tinker with it.  I will enjoy the sweet music of the exhaust now rather than worry!    Here are the jets I ordered that I may experiment with:

MIKUNI PILOT JET BS30/96 #52.5
MIKUNI PILOT JET BS30/96 #55
MIKUNI PILOT JET N151.067 #52.5
MIKUNI MAIN JET N100.604 #150 AFTERMARKET
MIKUNI MAIN JET N100.604 #152.5 AFTERMARKET
MIKUNI MAIN JET N100.604 #155 AFTERMARKET

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/12/07 at 08:08:24

..."sometimes use the clutch to shift"....?  Hmmm.

That's almost a new topic all by itself.  I believe in clutches and use them Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 04/12/07 at 08:18:15

mau2wu wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I live in Florida so probably I am at 0 feet above sea level.  I've read that with the dynojet needle you don't need to shave the spacer, but since mine was only shaved down only about 1/3 of the way, it fell in between two "grooves," making it only slightly deeper than what would be a half-spacer with the stock needle.  Since it was running great I didn't change it but kept the original needle just in case I need to go back.  I might be running a bit rich b.c. the muff has deposited a bit of black soot on my rear brake arm over the past three weeks, but the smoke itself comes out looking clear.

I am getting a shipment of jets in soon and thinking of going up to 150 for the main and maybe a 52.5 for the pilot (the one with the holes).   What do you all think?  Should I go back to the original needle and not use the dynojet?

It sounds like it is running fine and so maybe I shouldn't tinker with it.  I will enjoy the sweet music of the exhaust now rather than worry!    Here are the jets I ordered that I may experiment with:

MIKUNI PILOT JET BS30/96 #52.5
MIKUNI PILOT JET BS30/96 #55
MIKUNI PILOT JET N151.067 #52.5
MIKUNI MAIN JET N100.604 #150 AFTERMARKET
MIKUNI MAIN JET N100.604 #152.5 AFTERMARKET
MIKUNI MAIN JET N100.604 #155 AFTERMARKET

With the Dynojet kit, the needle is completely different than stock...It isn't just the clip positions (which do what the spacer change does), but the taper of the needle is different too.  

You might notice that the main jet doesn't have the same numbering sequence as stock.  As well, the main jet and the needle work together.  Changing one does affect the other.

Since you invested in the Dynojet kit, I don't know if (or why) you want to bother with the other jets.  You should be able to just ride it now....

Here is a nice little web site for carb theory....

Carbs

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 04/12/07 at 08:19:05

I might be running a bit rich b.c. the muff has deposited a bit of black soot on my rear brake arm over the past three weeks, but the smoke itself comes out looking clear.

It sounds like it is running fine and so maybe I shouldn't tinker with it.  I will enjoy the sweet music of the exhaust now rather than worry!      

I'll say the black soot is normal if you do not have a turn out - me I'd likely ride a lot and fiddle with the mixture just a bit like 1/8 turns either way looking for mr sweet spot - you may already be there - get several of the cheapo champion plugs and fiddle around with a plug read throttle chop exercise - fun stuff to do as long as a cop isn't around!

IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #10 - 04/13/07 at 16:10:08

I just checked the plug and it was sooty.  So I replaced the dynojet needle with my old needle and the shaved spacer.  Put in a new plug.  Then I did the carb tuning thing again, around 1 and 3/4 turns out or so.  Then I ran around the neighborhood a few times in mostly the mid throttle range in 2nd and 3rd.  Kind of loud but oh well.  Popped the seat and tank off again, looked at the plug.  This time it came back with a thin film of light grey.  Is that the color I am looking for?  Lesson learned from this--don't use the dynojet needle with a shaved spacer.  I think I have to fine tune it a little more.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 04/13/07 at 16:41:31

I love the decel grumble of my thumper.  It's like she's annoyed at slowing down.  On the issue of the DJ needle, I found no difference in the needle at all except for the multiple clip positions.  I did not mic it but I held both up together and inspected them with my reading glasses on.  The taper appeared to be identical.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #12 - 04/13/07 at 23:37:19

Mine Kapops after shifting and upon deceleration sometimes. I think it give the machine character.
Don't worry about it.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/14/07 at 08:33:10

I just checked the plug and it was sooty.  So I replaced the dynojet needle with my old needle and the shaved spacer.  Put in a new plug.  Then I did the carb tuning thing again, around 1 and 3/4 turns out or so.  Then I ran around the neighborhood a few times in mostly the mid throttle range in 2nd and 3rd.  Kind of loud but oh well.  Popped the seat and tank off again, looked at the plug.  This time it came back with a thin film of light grey.  Is that the color I am looking for?  Lesson learned from this--don't use the dynojet needle with a shaved spacer.  I think I have to fine tune it a little more.

In my opinion there is another lesson learned.

Skip the "easy fix" of the Dynajet Kit and use the really easy fixes discussed in this forum.  Cheaper and more proven.

IMHO Roll Eyes

IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #14 - 05/10/07 at 00:21:36

Hey all, here is some good information on the sputtering/popping issue.  http://www.mikuni.com/fs-tuning_guide.html  

Basically it says it is normal to have moderate popping on closing the throttle hard.  This only happens when the exhaust is opened up with a free flowing muffler.  This would explain why I didn't notice the popping/sputtering until I put the Sportster muffler on the bike.

My bike is now running real good--some weeks ago I took it on its first road trip of over 600 miles.  I really enjoyed passing all those Harleys and found that the bike will do 75+ quite easily.  It actually shakes less than my other vehicle at that speed--a Geo Prism.

I found that checking the plug is a pain but necessary to really find out what is going on in the engine until it is tuned right.  I now am running a 150 main and half spacer with the stock needle.  In the end, the dynojet kit was a waste of money.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:20:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › is sputtering/popping normal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.