Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
thinking of a savage (Read 4 times)
foreverknight2005
Ex Member

thinking of a savage
04/09/07 at 16:46:52

1997 or 2004? 1997 has 3000 mile plus, 2004 has 4xxx 2004 has shield and aftermarket pipes 97 has just the aftermarket pipes? 97 cost about 2500 2004 cost 3495? any thoughts? This willl be my first bike...Hope i can figure out the whole shifting thing..lol...I can drive a stickshift...so hopefully.....knight

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: thinking of a savage
Reply #1 - 04/09/07 at 16:54:45

I'd go for the 97... but, even with those low miles, maybe a tad high on the price.  Are you buying from a private owner or a dealership?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/09/07 at 18:34:38

I agree, 97.  but both are pricey.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/10/07 at 00:47:03

Looks like the www.kbb.com price on the '97 is $1970
and on the '04 is $3055

www.nadaguides.com has the '97 average retail at $1670 and the '04 at $2925

not to say you can find a clean one for these $$'s when you want it - but I'd sure think the highend on the '97 should be around $2k and the '04 about $3k

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 04/10/07 at 05:12:40

Good luck. The Savage is a great MC. You may outgrow it, but you might do the same with any other MC that is appropriate for a new rider. You'll lose less money on the Savage than most others.

I'll put my .02 in for the 2004. Less years can make a difference. As others have pointed out the price is a bit high for both.

I would also suggest you take some kind of riders course. For example Illinois offers the MSF course for all licensed drivers. If you pass the course, depending on your age you don't have to take another driver's exam before getting your motorcycle "M" classification on your license.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 04/10/07 at 08:39:46

There was still a pair advertised in the Moses Lake, WA Nickel saver for $2500. ea. One was 04 and the other I think 02 with some mods. claimed 800 miles on each one. They should be less $ now until after tax time and the weather gets better, then they will go up again. Max, at Thumper Acres, home of the single cylinder 4-stroke motorcycle.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/10/07 at 11:51:16

That is pricey for a 2004 when you think of a 2007 model for $4,700 with payments of $69.00 a month and no money down. Yah it's low mileage and all that on the 97' but the seals are old and may be dried out from sitting so long. Then there's going to be a possible { probable } battery replacment and maybe a tune up. Now are those tires cracked on the sidewalls. Has somebody screwed with the carburator after the pipe change and did they do it right? Are all the cables lubed up or do they bind a little? Does the fuel sytem have any debris in it and should you change your wheel bearings out due to sitting so long? All issues that could add up to what a newer bike cost unless you do your own work. These are all "What if's" but should be considered. The 2004 is still pricey but is probably a better deal. I think the resale value of any motorcycle is going up due to gas price's. Good luck on your purchase. I think you'll like the Savage. 8)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/10/07 at 11:58:53

Hopefully you can get the price down a bit on the 97. As it is, the $1,000.00 difference will pay for the tools you need to maintain the bike & parts to do the mods & STILL have $$ in yer pocket. Parts includes the shop manual.

I bought a new S-40.I wish I hadnt & wouldnt have if I had found this forum before I did it. I coulda saved a few THOUsand! And, still had a Fine machine to ride. With so few miles on either bike, the deeper maintenace wont be needed before you have a chance to learn enough to deal with it. You will learn what ya need just hanging out here. It isn't critical that you even be a mechanic TODAY in order to learn how to work on this thing, as far as required maintenance is concerned. Some jobs are beyond what I would be comfortable doing, but I WOULd go for it because there are folks here who I believe can take every part out of the cases & put it back together properly & they are nice enough to help others accomplish what is needed. Those jobs that would worry me are beyond any required maintenance in the book. Sayy, jack up the power & smoke tranny parts. I wouldnt WANT to go in there, but I would before I even thought about paying a mechanic to do it for me.

Anyway, I would get a low mileage used one & the $$ saved I would get stuff together to maintain & modify for better power. OHH, & I would ditch the old tires. At such low mileage, they must be stock & the stock tires on mine stunk. Well, the front was passable, but the rear was slimy from start to finish & only lasted 5,000 miles. You can start another tire thread later. It's only been a few weeks since we had one.. Oil? you will need a High grade Yak fat. Accept no substitutes.
OHH, I recommend a really good moisturizer for yoiur face. Those goofy grin lines created by riding are tuff to explain & even harder to get rid of..

Sears has a great sale on right now,in their catalog. For $200.00 a guy can get quite a starter set O tools.

Good luck in your shopping & the "Cash in pocket" technique can work wonders. If you put what you WANT to pay in one pocket & go visit the owner & count that $$ out so he can see it, then if he says no, poke it back in yer pocket & slowly start to amble off. If he calls ya back, maybe it will be yours for the low price you set. If he needs another hundred or two, have a few hundred scattered thru other pockets.

Now, Go savagely bargain for your Savage. You will surely get a huge kick out of the bike & learning to work on it will be good for ya.

Folks? Have I missed anything?  Smiley

IP Logged
foreverknight2005
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/10/07 at 12:25:20

Just curious.....why the 97? Is there going to be much of a difference as far as power or handling? As far as who im buying from...dealership

IP Logged
foreverknight2005
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/10/07 at 12:37:52

Thanks to everyone that posted their advice....After reading what everyone  wrote i guess the 97 and the 04 was over priced...but then again it is a dealership....thanks all..knight

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #10 - 04/10/07 at 13:45:28

The good thing about most dealer's (ooh I can't believe I typed that) is that they know the real value of a MC to them is what it can be sold for, not what they think it is worth - like a private seller. Thus they will usually deal to get a unit out the door. What I do is figure out what I'd be happy paying and then try to deal for that (not a bunch less and then work up). If they say no, I walk, no problem because I know if I pay more I'd be unhappy. Only you can figure out the price that you'd be happy with either of these MC's.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Keep in mind what I said about the training. You might find that you really really want the Savage after taking the course, or you might have something different in mind. Same thing may happen after a few thousand miles on your ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:19:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › thinking of a savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.