Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
K & N slip in or POD air filter ? (Read 29 times)
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
K & N slip in or POD air filter ?
04/09/07 at 17:18:53

Hey y'all,

Just wondering which air filter is the way to go, K & N slip in or POD air filter?
Is there any benefit of one over the other ?

Thanks,

Glenn

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: K & N slip in or POD air filter ?
Reply #1 - 04/09/07 at 18:02:32

I have the cone and really like it, though you have to get used to the noise that it creates. I also had to change jet up a size.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #2 - 04/09/07 at 19:43:00

What noise do you mean ? The air sucking sound or a louder exhaust sound ? Where did you get your cone filter ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 04/10/07 at 05:21:17

Here's how I looked at it.  Functionally they are probably a toss-up.  The upside of the cone is that you can reclaim the space occupied by the airbox.  The downside is the possibility of sucking water in bad weather.  I hadn't heard about any additional noise until now.  I usually ride with earplugs though.  Some people prefer the look of the cone.  The upsides of the drop-in are installation and no problems with inclement weather.  The downside is that the airbox still takes up a lot of space.  If you go the drop-in route as I did, you should probably yank the snorkel too.  Either one is going to lean your mixture and require adjustments which might include rejetting.  I had already rejetted when I changed my exhaust and only needed to tweak it a bit.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 04/10/07 at 05:22:29

I like the air sucking sound Smiley

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #5 - 04/10/07 at 06:54:07

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
What noise do you mean ? The air sucking sound or a louder exhaust sound ? Where did you get your cone filter ?

definately air sucking sound, especially when you wind it up. I really like it, but it takes some getting used to.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 04/10/07 at 07:51:22

I've never gotten water into my carb thru a pod air filter, but I keep mine well oiled (hard to believe but true).  If you go with the pod, you need to get a small filter for the breather too.  It goes ABOVE the engine...

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #7 - 04/16/07 at 17:58:45

I ordered a POD filter today but where do you get the filter for the breather tube and what does it look like so I know I'm buying the right thing ?

IP Logged
Bri_Fri
YaBB Newbies

Young Gun

Homer, Alaska
Reply #8 - 04/17/07 at 00:16:46

Speaking of K&N slip ins I ordered one but all they sent with it was a "bracket", but the bracket has no way of attaching to the filter...???

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 04/17/07 at 03:26:24

This may be helpful for some ....

http://www.4filters.com/KN-Round-Tapered_c_15-1.html

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 04/17/07 at 11:37:13

I ordered a POD filter today but where do you get the filter for the breather tube and what does it look like so I know I'm buying the right thing ?

Looks like this.

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #11 - 04/19/07 at 21:20:04

So does the crankcase breather filter have to go up high above the engine and out the front of the tank or does it not really matter where it is located  ????

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 04/19/07 at 21:39:31

So does the crankcase breather filter have to go up high above the engine and out the front of the tank or does it not really matter where it is located  ????

Bear with me and don't think I'm being smart.

Think about what the breather does.  It vents the crankcase.  

The piston goes up and down and that causes an internal pressure change in an otherwise closed system filled with oil and metal.  The piston moves up and there is a decrease in pressure, it goes down and there is an increase...when running, it happens really fast too.

As well, as the engine heats up the oil gets hot and some becomes a mist from all the spinning and banging going on.

Now if the engine were sealed, you have pressure changes and heated oil...what happens? (oil leaks)

As well, you have an engine the gets hot and cold from time to time.  You get some water condensation in there too.  When the water heats up...where's it gonna go? (oil leaks)

That's where the breather comes in...

Now, I'm sure that you've noticed or read that the air box drain hose has some pretty nasty gunk when you open it up.  That is stuff that collects in the airbox because of the stock hose from the crankcase vent.  The EPA and Al Gore want all of that nasty crap to go back in your engine and smoke out the tailpipe, but sometimes it just collects anyway.

(gee that was fun)

Anyway, I positioned mine high like you see because (and I got lucky too), it allows the crankcase to vent the pressure changes, gives off any hot vapors, and if there is any liquid stuff, it flows back down hill through the hose into the engine for another day.  My filter stays pretty clean and keeps the bugs out too.

I recommend a high place but I have seen them hanging down behind the engine dripping Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 04/19/07 at 21:47:38

PS - because I moved my horn up to the front forks, I mounted my homemade stainless steel filter bracket in one of those holes.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #14 - 04/19/07 at 21:57:33

bought my crankcase breather at autozone. It was about $10. I went to the import performance isle and bought one of the little ones there works great.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:25:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K & N slip in or POD air filter ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.