Re-jeting my carb (Read 5 times)
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Re: Re-jeting my carb
Reply #15 - 04/10/07 at 16:07:40

Thanks,
I have a 07 s40 with a Jardine and the dealer said it didn't need to be rejetted but I have a lot of backfiing on deceleration so I just changed it to a 147.5 from the stock 145 but think maybe I should have gone to a 150. I don't know.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Austin_man
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/10/07 at 19:56:29

Lots of help guys. Thanks for the feedback.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 04/11/07 at 09:50:19

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Thanks,
I have a 07 s40 with a Jardine and the dealer said it didn't need to be rejetted but I have a lot of backfiing on deceleration so I just changed it to a 147.5 from the stock 145 but think maybe I should have gone to a 150. I don't know.

Dealers don't want to help with rejetting on carburetor bikes.  I'm not surprised.

My spouse has a 152.5 with her Trapp and 14 disks.

I was trying a 157.5 with my Raask, but I just changed it back to a 155 because of the soot in the pipe and on the brake actuator arm....not sure what I'll need when I get the head back on though

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 04/11/07 at 12:58:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Dealers don't want to help with rejetting on carburetor bikes.  I'm not surprised.

likely just as well - they'd screw it up anyway - now a independent shop that works on a large range of bikes is a different story - actually found 2 still in business in my area(s) - mostly wrench used ones for resale - but are willing to work on anything looks to me like

IP Logged
Austin_man
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/11/07 at 13:01:10

I am going to try a 152.5 and shaving the white spacer. I will keep you all informed. I probably will not get the actual work until Fri.

IP Logged
Austin_man
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/16/07 at 09:05:47

Hello everyone, I wanted give an update on the my bike. I rejeted the bike this weekend with  a 152.5 and shaved the white space in half. This made big difference in the performance of the bike. The bike no longer has that laggg when excelerating. There is smooth power from bottom to top. I had to adjust my Idle and Idle screw because it kept dieing. Now it idles and runs so much better. It does continue to back fire. I guess I will never get rid of that. Does anyone have a suggestion on fixing that back fire. It is not bad but it does backfire.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #21 - 04/16/07 at 09:41:56

and your sure there are not air leaks at the cylinder/head pipe/muffler or carb/cylinder?

IP Logged
Austin_man
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/16/07 at 11:00:42

I order a seal that goes between the head at the top of the motor and the pipe. Mine didn't have one when I pulled it off to put my new pipe together and on.  Maybe thats my problem. Let's hope.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 04/16/07 at 12:07:03

none at all? Oh - yes until your sure you have a good seal there looking else where needs to wait

IP Logged
Austin_man
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/16/07 at 12:58:17

Ok, My seal will be here tomorrow. I will let you know. Thanks.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/16/07 at 18:04:18

remember to torque the  bolts keeping the header on the engine when engine is cold - also only torque to recommended setting. Greg also has advised (said it was an old rule) to check them again later after you have ridden the bike for a while.

I know I did mine - thought I had a leak @ muffler end & thought to check these bolts @ same time - one was no longer @ correct torque setting. had no leak anywhere (no popping or banging after tuned carb), but this was before I tuned carb & was trying to minimize my back firing somehow. Almost gone now - just once in a while which is OK by me.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 04/16/07 at 23:18:33

Austin_man wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Ok, My seal will be here tomorrow. I will let you know. Thanks.

Seems like you really would have had an exhaust leak without one.

Sure it just wasn't all black and nasty up in there?  Mine looked like part of the head when I removed it.  Really.

Don't wanna put a new one on top of the old one....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 04/16/07 at 23:22:09

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
remember to torque the  bolts keeping the header on the engine when engine is cold - also only torque to recommended setting. Greg also has advised (said it was an old rule) to check them again later after you have ridden the bike for a while.

I say that because of the expansion of the different metals with the bolts and the head, plus the gasket is a crush gasket.  You don't want it too tight, just enough to stay together and seal good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:16:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re-jeting my carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.