Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Best way to remove messed up screws ? (Read 9 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Best way to remove messed up screws ?
Reply #30 - 04/10/07 at 09:10:25

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Just reinforcing it for the new folks. Using the phillips for the punch on carb screws is the only way, otherwise the cross head part will be un-usable and plans C-E have to be tried. The ACR really works, I don't buy anything else now. Come in both loosen, tighten or both ways options. I get both. However once it slips it is option time as it really chews up the screwhead. I also use a hand held impact driver 3/8 drive for the case screws with a APEX brand 1 - 3/4" long bit. Save lots of grief on those. Max

I had a hand impactor once!  Think that I sold it at a "Poor Man's Yardsale" Tongue

Yeah, I had to use a small cold chisel on one of Stinger's the other day.  Didin't mess up the slots.  Just left a little blemish on the edge of the head....

I had taken some stainless allen bolts over there but they were too long, and we had no way to shorten them either...no grinder, side grinder, hack saw, band saw, cutting torch, milling machine, EDM or lathe.  Oh well.  Back in they went Shocked

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #31 - 04/10/07 at 10:20:47

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yep, but sometimes, even a little patience pays off.  Sometimes if a bolt head breaks off, the torque is relieved on the threads, and they actually get loose.

In the photo below, is a pic of MY broken headcover bolt.  Yep, it sure did tick me off to have to remove the headcover before the silicone had even dried...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/HeadBoltBroke02web.jpg

But patience and a small punch was what I used to get it out....the photo is a little dark, but the punch is there.

Might not work everytime, but here is another option too.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/HeadBoltBroke03web.jpg

Like I said...when it has ALL gone to crap Grin

um, if the head of the bolt, screw, whatever, is gone, then tapping it out with a punch or small needle nose pliers may be the easiest way to do it... like you said, as long as the torque is (at least) relieved.  otherwise, it may be screw extractor or helicoil (yuck) time.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 04/10/07 at 11:02:07

Of course, it has to be one of those cases where the bolt threads evenly all the way into a hole.  The one in the picture was that way.  It broke with a torque wrench.

If it is a case where the bolt gets tight (and you should have backed it out) but you keep going until it just jams and then breaks, then out comes the "heavy equipment"...extractors and helicoil kits.

Always go with the friendliest option first Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:18:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best way to remove messed up screws ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.