Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel problem? (Read 1 times)
Joel
Ex Member

Fuel problem?
04/08/07 at 06:39:39

Hey guys, I have been off of this board for a while, but I started riding my savage again since I moved north from socal. My bike starts up fine and runs ok, but it only wants to run on the reserve setting, other wise it acts like its running out of gas. It runs ok on reserve, but only up to about 55mph up steep hills. I pulled the gas tank and checked  the screen and it was completely clean. I blew the petcock out with my air compressor, and replaced the spark plug before reassembling the bike. Now it runs good at any speed/load on reserve but still not on run. I don't get it.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Fuel problem?
Reply #1 - 04/08/07 at 06:46:26

I had a similar problem on mine.  I did the fuel petc0ck conversion posted on this site, and have had no problems since.  I don't have an explaination, but mine got progressively worse until it would only run on PRI...

Good luck.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 04/08/07 at 07:02:24

it might be, that the diaphram in petthingy gets hard with age and alcohol in gasoline, and no longer works as advertised, i never liked that concept anyway, manual conversion worked well for us.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 04/08/07 at 07:06:10

Joel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Hey guys, I have been off of this board for a while, but I started riding my savage again since I moved north from socal. My bike starts up fine and runs ok, but it only wants to run on the reserve setting, other wise it acts like its running out of gas. It runs ok on reserve, but only up to about 55mph up steep hills. I pulled the gas tank and checked  the screen and it was completely clean. I blew the petcock out with my air compressor, and replaced the spark plug before reassembling the bike. Now it runs good at any speed/load on reserve but still not on run. I don't get it.  

You didn't mention, but it doesn't run on PRI either?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/08/07 at 09:14:09

Check the vacuum line to the petc0ck, might be leaking.

It don't take much to make it bad.  I snipped the end off the vac line and the problem went away.  Give it a try or replace the line.  I always took the line off at the carb, so that's the end I cut.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Joel
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/07 at 17:27:47

Thanks guys,  I haven't tried to run it on PRI , I'll do that. I think I am going to replace the petcock If I can't locate a vacuum leak. Come to think of it, the diaphram did look kinda warped.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:29:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.