Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to RE-JET carb (Read 15 times)
djpennin
YaBB Newbies

poo

How to RE-JET carb
04/07/07 at 21:12:57

...i just bought a 2001 savage for my sister and it runs way better than my 2001 savage.  mid range power, nice and smooth... it must be rejetted.  it also has a suppertrap exhaust..

anyway, how do i rejet mine?  anyone have a step by step how to.

i run the stock exhaust, and will probably be changint to the harley dyna.

what should i do? how do i do it?
whitespacer?
mainjet?
pilotjet?

where are these things located?
what do i do...?

totally confused?

thanks,
djp

As always...here is my head plug seal step-by-step guide i did 4-5 years ago
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/djpennin/album?.dir=/bd14re2&.src=ph&.tok=pheHx...

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: How to RE-JET carb
Reply #1 - 04/07/07 at 21:22:31

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #2 - 04/07/07 at 21:22:58

Check the Technical Info... there is a lot of info there about re-jetting.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/setral/87savage/
100% Stock, needs a little work and another bath
WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/07/07 at 22:03:15

lancer's tech part helps to fine tune carb - not to rejet & work on white spacer.

suggest you buy a clymers manual - will help with locating & changing jets, shaving down spacer & lots of other things from routine mainenance to removing the enginee. suggest buying from Amazon where it is cheap, taking free freight option @ time of checkout.

@ same time as changing jets via bottom of carb & removing top of carb to get @ white spacer suggest you change soft bolts/screws @ top & bottom of carb (easy to mess up heads when removing - may have to undo them with vise grips if you do) for stainless steel allen head ones.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 04/07/07 at 22:06:53

Since they are both the same year bike, why not just swap the registration and let her have yours?  Will she notice?

Less work....Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/07/07 at 22:34:44

Daaaang Greg, that just aint right.

Awwright, now ya CANT take her bike, but ya can swap carbs & exhaust.. anybody knows she will spot the bike swap. Greg was just tryin to get ya in trouble..
Once ya get her carb off, you can look inside at the mods & see what to do to the other one. Count baffles on the Supertrap & order one with enough baffles to replicate the job done on her bike. I recommend getting the crush gasket for the header pipe. It's about $4.00 & once I wiggled my header around wresting the pipe off I think  I made it leak a bit. I dont know how many miles are on those bikes, but if there is no record of the cam chain being replaced, you might wanna look inside the right case & see where the tensioner is.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/08/07 at 07:20:33

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Daaaang Greg, that just aint right.

Awwright, now ya CANT take her bike, but ya can swap carbs & exhaust.. anybody knows she will spot the bike swap. Greg was just tryin to get ya in trouble..
Once ya get her carb off, you can look inside at the mods & see what to do to the other one. Count baffles on the Supertrap & order one with enough baffles to replicate the job done on her bike. I recommend getting the crush gasket for the header pipe. It's about $4.00 & once I wiggled my header around wresting the pipe off I think  I made it leak a bit. I dont know how many miles are on those bikes, but if there is no record of the cam chain being replaced, you might wanna look inside the right case & see where the tensioner is.

Just seemed like a quick fix to me Tongue

Why does everyone replace the header gasket so often?  I just recently dug my original out before grinding the exhaust ports, and the other day I helped Stinger reinstall his virtually new looking stock one...I don't think they leak as often if you get the header bolts tightened correctly.

...and Stinger was running a SuperTrapp with 8 disks and stock jets.  The Trapp was blue in the area of the muffler clamp, but the header was okay.  We installed a thinner spacer and a 147.5 main.  He said the bike didn't backfire so we left the pilot jet alone.

What do you do?  And being totally confused?  Start by getting a manual.  It's the best part you can buy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/08/07 at 09:08:21

the SSM and Clymers are the most expensive parts not to buy.  They may have a high initial cost with incredable ug factor.  But every bolt you don't twist off, every oil change you do yourself, etc. etc. etc. adds up to be the best investment you can make.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/08/07 at 09:14:16

agree with Greg about tightenning down header bolts to correct torque (another reson to get Clymers!) though he may be right to say why change gasket so much I think it is worth spending a mere $4 to buy new one when taking off header to get the new muffler on (well, I had to take my header off to get muffler on & put in new gasket to obviate one possible place for exhaust leak & resulting backfire anyway!)

incidently - go through tech sectrion to find listing on how to install HD muffler - it really makes putting on a new muffler easy. recommend you use HD clamps, permatex (I used orange) & not run bike for 24 hours to give it time to really set - another way to try to obviate exhaust leaks!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 04/08/07 at 13:49:56

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
agree with Greg about tightenning down header bolts to correct torque (another reson to get Clymers!) though he may be right to say why change gasket so much I think it is worth spending a mere $4 to buy new one when taking off header to get the new muffler on (well, I had to take my header off to get muffler on & put in new gasket to obviate one possible place for exhaust leak & resulting backfire anyway!)

Now, maybe I've just been lucky, but the reason I said that about the gasket is as follows....

In 7 years, I've installed a SuperTrapp and a Raask exhaust, plus with various projects like removing the head (2 times), painting the engine, and stripping the bike down for welding and painting the frame...(that's at least 6 times that I've removed the header)...I have only had one exhaust gasket.  The original stock one.

This time I'm buying a new one, because I had to trash it to grind the exhaust ports.

I think the trick is to tighten it good and snug when it's cold.  Then run it good and hot.  And then retighten it good when it's cold again.  If it ever leaks, then you'll blow the gasket out.  Just don't let that happen.

Just my technique, is all.

IP Logged
djpennin
YaBB Newbies

poo

Reply #10 - 04/09/07 at 09:02:26

Lancers carb topic talks about fixing the backfire issue.  My bike hasnt backfired in a month, and i ride it daily.

It had 4 holes drilled into the stock pipe, it was way too loud and backfired all the time.  I had these holes welded shut, and not more issues.  Strange...maybe the holes drilled in caused the exhaust chamber to flow differeently, fixing the old backfire issue.

...but anyway, i want to increase performance.  that is what my whole question was about.  with my bike having the stock exhaust still, what do i need to do to get more mid-range power, and more power overall?

thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/09/07 at 09:30:43

An engine can't make power if it cant move air efficiently from intak & out the exhaust. The stock mixture is lean & the exhaust is restrictive. In order to get more power overall the exhaust will need to be less restrictive & the carb will need to deliver a richer mixture. Recommend taking Sis's carb off & looking inside. Make yours look like that. That Supertrapp is a big part of the equation, too.. If you want yours to run like hers, do the maods hers has.

Again, if you dont KNOW what shape the cam chains are in, you need to,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/09/07 at 09:35:58

OHH, this is not to say you cant get the same performance out of a Dyna or Sporty muffler, just the Supertrapp is so tunable. The $$$ difference & the power difference may not be reasonable for you. I would hate to pay 10 X more for a muffler & get .5 more power, but thats what I think I did. IF I had gone with a HD exhaust I coulda got out for under $50.00, instead, I dropped over $200.00 I think. I Like the look & sound, but that $$$ in pocket is nice,too. I still like the Trap[p tons & laff at the sound it makes, I just wonder how it woulda all worked oiut if I had tried the HD first. It would be cool if I knew someone else who had one of trhese so we could try different mods on each & compare the power out changes.

IP Logged
djpennin
YaBB Newbies

poo

Reply #13 - 04/09/07 at 10:54:30

So if i go with a Dyna/harley exhaust

what is the recommended jets?

do i need both pilot and main jets?

should i do the 1/2 white spacer mod too?

thanks,

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/09/07 at 11:15:46

Have I mentioned that you HAVE a Carb/Exhaust set up you can copy? Even IF you dont go woth the Trapp, you can use the jets in the carb on the GOOD running bike you just bought as a start for the one you are trying to get running better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to RE-JET carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.