"Rear" controls (???) (Read 13 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
"Rear" controls (???)
04/02/07 at 11:50:13

Hi all, I wonder how many of you wondered or even longed for footpegs just an inch or two further backward; it improves handling, especially on the twisties, and allows for better maneuvering in the city.
AND it allows for snappier "get up" when you see a pothole you just can't avoid.

I asked the local trusty mechanic (he really is, he actually fabricates and welds his own frames) but he looked at me and asked
"You mean forward controls?"
"No, I mean rearward controls, like on a street bike"
He gave me a wry look and didn't answer... Tongue

Still, any suggestions ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: "Rear" controls (???)
Reply #1 - 04/02/07 at 12:46:39

some times to give this ol back a rest i use the pass. pegs..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #2 - 04/02/07 at 17:11:14

I'm going to do it soon!  I think i'm going to fab a bracket just up and behind the swingarm pivot, still working out clearances.  I'm also building a higher flat-track type seat, trying to make the riding stance a little more aggressive all in all.  Looks like i'll be able to use most of the stock stuff, just need longer linkage for the shifter and to shorten the cable for the rear drum.

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 04/02/07 at 19:31:34

"center controls" or "standard controls" i think, is the term you're looking for (rear controls conjurs up visions of cr0tch rockets), many bike riders prefer standard controls, i've gotten used to forward controls, and i like them, but the second i through a leg over a set of center controls, my stance changes, and my weight shifts to a different place, not bad, just different. good luck with your project.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 04/02/07 at 20:01:34

First, let's understand that what we are discussing is a "standard" control position and not rear-set controls. Correct?

I've been contemplating these for a long time, and have several pictures of Savages that have been converted. Unfortunatly, many that have been changed are far enough back to qualify as rear-set, and some of those have also been converted to right side shift (to simulate the Brit Cafe Racers of old). Still pretty cool, and proof that you can have the controls wherever you want them if you are willing to put the effort forth.

I don't think the described position of "up and behind the swingarm pivot" Is a viable location for mounting pegs and controls. That position is simply too high and short legged unless you wear pants with a inseam of less than 28."
Yet you can't go under the frame and around the exhaust, or you would have too little lean angle before dragging. So...

The best I've been able to come up with yet, is a place just an inch or two above the rear upward bend of the two main frame loops. This would be about midway between the bottom bend and the swingarm pivot. Looks pretty easy on the right (brake side) but belt gaurd removal / modification necessary on the left (shift) side. Still looks do-able. I agree that increased seat thickness would help some with getting the bike to 'fit'. But if you measure, there is still going to be very little leg room there. I'm afraid the real answer would be to move the frame backbone up. Which would lend itself toward a needed decrease in the frame's neck angle (and rake) to make the bike's handling suitable to the new upright riding position.

I don't know, maybe sufficient work arounds could be done without major frame surgury, but I'm not sure it would look, handle, or feel right.

Just some thoughts on the subject... John

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 04/03/07 at 00:00:31

Yep, I guess everybody understands what I mean and I am glad to see I'm not the only one to feel the need for a "normal" stance.
By the way, I got 29" inseam (leg) I only stand 5'5", which is why I like the savage so much.
I have also been considering huuuge (very long, not too wide) floorboards, like on some Road Kings etc.
I'll keep you posted.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 04/03/07 at 03:51:31

I had "rear set" foot pegs on my 350LC back in 85/86. sorry no pics.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/03/07 at 05:31:11

Interesting topic to me because those pegs drove me nuts the whole time I owned my LS650. I thought of putting highway bars on the frame below the seat but the exhaust header was in the way. I thought of clamping separate pegs on but the belt guard was in the way. I'm curious if there's a viable solution beyond spending big bucks at a machine shop & welder. Good luck with it Mpescatori.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 04/07/07 at 06:41:00

There's a brand new thread called "Mini floorboards" which is pretty much what I had in mind...

...now, waiting for some pics  8)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #9 - 04/14/07 at 19:42:02

This picture has been posted here before, but it's applicable and really cool!

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 04/15/07 at 10:00:50

Anyone know what tank is on that - or any othe "cafe racer" type tank that fits (or can be persuaded to fit)?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 04/16/07 at 14:15:58

DrT wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Anyone know what tank is on that - or any othe "cafe racer" type tank that fits (or can be persuaded to fit)?

I can't tell you exactly what tank the bike has on it, but I can tell you this much: It isn't off of any common stock motorcycle, maybe something exotic, and is probably an aftermarket or custom made piece. How do I know this? You don't find tanks with streamlining knee impressions like that on any stock bikes I know of, regardless of era.

Sure, some of the 'modern' crotch rockets are streamlined to that degree, but that tank is obviously not from any 'modern' day cycle.

Just as much as where the parts came from to make that bike, I'd like to know where the parts came from to make this bad boy LS-650 scrambler:

As I said in a post months ago... "I'll take one of each please!"

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 04/16/07 at 14:37:40

Shocked Wow!! That LS650 Scrambler is a NICE piece of work!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/16/07 at 14:58:24

I think this is the early 400, it's got a different frame, and HO!  Shocked rear disk!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:27:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Rear" controls (???)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.