Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Discolored header pipe (Read 16 times)
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Discolored header pipe
04/01/07 at 21:57:50

Is there a way to cover a discolored header pipe. Like a heat shield that will cover the thing up? Mine is blued and out and looks like Crap. Looked online cant find anything that will cover more that 6 inches of it or so...-DOC

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Discolored header pipe
Reply #1 - 04/01/07 at 22:04:07

You can wrap it. There are several in the pics area with pipe wraps. I don't think the blue pipes look bad. I blued mine rapping the thing, lissening to something, darn if I remember waht now, it's been so long. I hated it at the time, but now, it's just part of the bike I enjoy..

IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/01/07 at 23:02:12

My header looks horrible so i want to cover it regarless of how good it is for the pipe. I can buy a new pipe in a few years. Anyone know if 20' of 2" diameter header wrap would cover the stock pipe on a savage? -DOC

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/01/07 at 23:07:56

20' should cover it.
Lancer did 2 header with a 50' roll and had a little less than 10' left.
I found a 25' roll on ebay.  $10 +shipping.

WWW   IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/02/07 at 00:12:45

If its black give me a link, i cant find a 25' one. I found a black 20' one for 7.95 plus 5.05 shipping...just afraid it wont be enough...suck to get almost done and run out...

Do you have to take the header off to put the wrap on?

-DOC

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/02/07 at 11:17:14

That wrap holds the heat in though and will blue your muffler with a quickness.  Eastwood is one place to get the black exhaust wrap.  They also sell a silicon spray you use to seal it against moisture.  If it gets very wet and has to cook off, it can get whiffy.  Another option id to paint it black, either with hi-temp header paint or just BBQ black.  I did mine that way and it's held up pretty well.  I am still going to get it ceramic coated one of these days though.  To me, that's the best option.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/02/07 at 18:24:20

Thanks. The paint seems like it would be a better option. Ill check it out. -DOC

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/02/07 at 18:48:16

maybe your bike is pretending to be a BMW!  Smiley they are famous for pipes blueing & many owners regard it as one of quirks & attractions to the bike!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/02/07 at 19:55:53

That head pipe doesn't change color much if you get the fuel right- here's a picture at around 22,000 miles on the 1995 with original head pipe - it has a little bit of blue haze - but not much - the jardine colors up a bit

IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/02/07 at 21:14:18

Nice bike! Mine is discolored about 10 times worse than that. -DOC

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 04/02/07 at 23:52:30

need to get that carb and pipe squard away - if that head pipe is d@mned hot so's the ex-port and valves right behind it - not good- suzuki ships lean to pass epa - and hopes it lives through warranty - fix it I say - and she'll run wonderful for a long while

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 04/03/07 at 03:28:05

I use Zebrite black grate polish (very shiney) on KLX's header, have to re-do it occasionally as the first 6-8" burns off.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 04/03/07 at 05:30:54

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
maybe your bike is pretending to be a BMW!  Smiley they are famous for pipes blueing & many owners regard it as one of quirks & attractions to the bike!

That is a beamer trait for sure.  The reason is that BMWs have single walled stainless steel pipes.

Many big twins also have single walled pipes that turn blue, but they are hidden with a full heat shield like the kind that Doc is looking for.

The Savage double walled header really doesn't blue as long as everything remains stock, but the backfires from that stock muffler cause people to change stuff and then the bluing begins.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #13 - 04/03/07 at 06:53:20

yeah, i have a bit of a blue pipe.  Turns out there was a good reason the bike was running so lean rich

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 04/03/07 at 07:19:35

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C03%5C23%5Cbikepics-839091-full.jpg

yeah, i have a bit of a blue pipe.  Turns out there was a good reason the bike was running so lean.

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C03%5C23%5Cbikepics-839099-full.jpg

That'll do it!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:18:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Discolored header pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.