Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Piston Group Buy (Read 48 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Piston Group Buy
Reply #90 - 04/25/07 at 16:52:21

OK, great.... Angry  Now I've technically said two things which aren't necessarily true... Embarrassed

I'll need to explain more...IF there is no valve overlap, both valves will be closed at TDC regardless of which stroke.  But, that is rarely the case, particularly on motorcycles.  Therefore, the amount of the overlap determines how far the valves are open when the piston is at TDC.  The only thing we can say here and be totally accurate is, the valves will never be fully open at piston TDC, though they might be fully closed, again depending on the cam grind and valve overlap in particular.

My main point of my original post SHOULD HAVE BEEN:
you have .137" to play with to sort out your valve overlap with a new piston.  A milder cam grind will give you more piston-to-valve clearance and a hotter cam will give you less for a given piston.

Therefore, if Lancer's setup works with a particular piston, so should everyone else's...

Not sure that's better, but its the best I've got today Roll Eyes

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #91 - 04/25/07 at 18:00:03

I wasnt trying to be a problem, that was a real question, thanks for the clarification.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #92 - 04/25/07 at 18:05:03

I don't know the numbers on the Savage's deck height, piston heght, various cam's lift/duration etc... to even know what the valve-piston clearances are on a stock Savage engine, much less once once we start doing modifications...

But this I know: I'm not real keen on engine designs that have a built-in potential for valve-piston interference; like my wife's Plymouth (Mitsubishi?) 4-cyl. If the timing belt breaks on one of those engines, there is a very high likelyhood that the the valves-pistons will clash, and CRUNCH... the enging is toast. I had the timing belt changed on that car 10-15k before the recommended interval because I didn't want to risk that possibility. (Plus that engine has a cyl head plug problem much like the Savages cap/plug leak, and it needed fixed anyways. So the belt was a must-do as long as you're in there.)

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #93 - 04/25/07 at 18:11:19

Quote:
I wasnt trying to be a problem

Oh, I know that Justin.  I made the mistake of posting when I was distracted and not focused on the subject.  Then I did it again in haste.  When I went back and read the post, I realized I was just making things worse and needed to attempt to fix it...not sure if it worked...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #94 - 04/25/07 at 18:12:45

Once again, I'm good for one 96mm @ 9.5:1 to put on the shelf; whenever everyone is confident that we have a good design. And if the company is worth their salt, they won't let us order anything that would make them look bad. After all "they" are supposed to be experts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #95 - 04/25/07 at 18:27:19

We all know what happens when you rely on experts...
your muffler falls off and cause it's so loud you don't know the difference and you get the wrong parts.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #96 - 05/02/07 at 06:59:38

The interest shown to date is ...

7 want 96mm/9.5 cr
1 wants 97mm/9.5 cr
1 wants 95mm/9.5 cr
2 want 97mm/10 cr
1  ??

So what do you all want to do?
At this point there is no way we are going to get anywhere close to enough orders to get us a savings on the pistons.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #97 - 05/02/07 at 08:48:34

count me in for a 96mm/9.5:1,,,,,i do have a spare engine to play with  Wink

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #98 - 05/02/07 at 11:55:32

well, considering I have managed to get down to 35 MPG, I don't see how I can afford to jack the performance anymore. The cam & jetting have me just about turning around at the end O the driveway at the gas station & refilling. Also, I can happily report that the performance is such that I can no longer "Ride the snot" out of it! It is more bike than I am rider, & hopefully, it will stay that way a long time. It's finally stiut enough to force me to not "Dial on the beans" fully when I take off from a stop, leaned into a turn, cuz it Just might slide out now. It does pick up the front end a bit when I am just taking off hard. Shimming the clutch springs seemed to have been a good idea. I think I should just leave it alone. I may regret that later,I hope not.Maybe, if I decide I need one later, there will be demand enough to make another run by then. The new folks coming here & starting where I was a year ago , making mods & moving forward, there may be a few of them who can get an order up with me. I wish I could do it, but just now doesn't seem so smart. I wish the best for you other folks!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #99 - 05/07/07 at 18:54:39

Quote:
I have managed to get down to 35 MPG!

Dude, you have something going wrong with your bike.  That kind of milage is just way off.  The worst mpg I have calc was about 42 mpg while running the 36mm VM, it was still jetted on the rich side and I was doing back to back performance runs ... 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and doing so for about an hour solid.
If the engine is running ok and the wheels are rolling freely then the carb is at fault.   With the VM carb properly jetted and cam installed I have routinely got 48-50 mpg on the road during normal riding.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #100 - 05/07/07 at 20:05:33

Awwrite, well as soon as I get the power steering on the backhoe straightened out. Ill walk back off into the carb. Maybe I did the white spacer wrong. It did stink after that. AND, I busted one ear off the pilot jet & never was sure what became of the piece. Dunno if its in the carb somewhere.. Ill get a can O Berrymans & shoot the carb out.. maybe I sould just use Keyboard Cleaner compressed air, cant hurt anything with that. Berrymans is some mean crap to get on skin.. &the carb is in no way gunked up,

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #101 - 05/09/07 at 13:23:57

hey all,

I'm OUT for now.  new front tire is more important.

if this doesn't go through till september, I may be back in.  I hope to have a real job by then.

V

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #102 - 05/09/07 at 17:37:38

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
hey all,

I'm OUT for now.  new front tire is more important.

if this doesn't go through till september, I may be back in.  I hope to have a real job by then.

V

Oh NO not that! - guess school is about over?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #103 - 05/10/07 at 07:20:15

I'm gonna hand in my dissertation in August, defend in the fall or early winter.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #104 - 05/10/07 at 07:40:27

What is the subject area?  Specific title for this one?
Will you be a Master or a Doctor?

Inquiring minds want to know ....   Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:42:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Piston Group Buy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.