LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Piston Group Buy
Reply #60 - 04/17/07 at 19:58:29

The Savage has to have the flattop, I don't think the dome would even work in our head.  
I quoted the price of the dome because that was the basis of the original price that was mentioned early on in this thread.  I wanted everyone to know that there was a difference in the price of the two types just to insure there was no confusion regarding price later on.

Am I clear or did I confuse myself again?   Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #61 - 04/17/07 at 20:20:02

Total them up your sure past 4 -

I'll take 2 if not bigger than ->  96mm 9.5:1

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #62 - 04/18/07 at 04:13:56

My first thought was to do 10 pistons, 96mm, 9.5:1 cr ... and then 10 pistons, 97mm, 9.5:1 cr.
That is just a first thought.  It all is dependent on what everyone wants.

I also was just thinking about doing another 4 on the side at 97mm  with 10 or 10.5:1 cr.
That extra point of compression would add a bit more attitude to this puppy.  IF there is any interest of course.

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #63 - 04/18/07 at 04:43:36

I still do want to try to push this poor little bike 'bout hard as i can, so a 10:1 97mm would be great for me.  The prices I listed earlier were estimates based on a 4 piece order with rings and pins, so i guess getting 4 specials made would stay about the same on cost.  If we have the interest in 4 97mm 10:1's we could get that order in as soon as we have the right numbers (i should have some of the numbers by this weekend).

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 04/18/07 at 06:20:10

Some years back I would have jumped all over the 10 or 10.5 idea, now, I feel good at 96 mm & 9.5. I just dont want to go "All the way" on any mod. I would be afraid it might create a dependabiity issue.. Maybe the thing will handle it all, But,, I am just unwilling to pay the money & do the work to see. I think, & I have No experience to even have an opinion, but, hey, I do, I think the bike will have enough OOOmph at 96 mm & 9.5 to 1 to be quite a blast & sure enough eat a few stock bikes with ease. Well,, That's what I am hoping for.I would like to be able to get the cylinder done by the same outfit that did Lancers,,

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #65 - 04/18/07 at 07:35:29

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Some years back I would have jumped all over the 10 or 10.5 idea, now, I feel good at 96 mm & 9.5. I just dont want to go "All the way" on any mod. I would be afraid it might create a dependabiity issue.. Maybe the thing will handle it all, But,, I am just unwilling to pay the money & do the work to see. I think, & I have No experience to even have an opinion, but, hey, I do, I think the bike will have enough OOOmph at 96 mm & 9.5 to 1 to be quite a blast & sure enough eat a few stock bikes with ease. Well,, That's what I am hoping for.I would like to be able to get the cylinder done by the same outfit that did Lancers,,

I'm sure the 96 9.5 deal will make a BIG difference, and going 1mm and half a point over that will probably only make a couple horse difference.. I don't think anyone will regret going with the more moderate figures, and I hope it's not a big mistake to max it out..  buuuuuut, i'm still willing to try it. (sure do hope it doesn't explode though.. Grin)

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #66 - 04/18/07 at 07:59:16

I just don't want to take the whole dang thing apart because that means I can't ride while I'm doing it and I take big projects like that slowly.  After all, I am a mechanically-inclined amateur.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #67 - 04/18/07 at 08:26:02

This a good post. I have been watching this from the beginning as an observer. I imagine a few did that with my chain conversion. I have done a lot of performance motor builds on bikes and cars, so I was just watching the progress and thinking about my own experience. As usual you start out with the "hotter" is better. If you drag race and don't mind rebuilding often, that is true. I am glad to see that you have come down to a 95-97 overbore, and 9.5 compression. That is in the reliable catagory and you will be VERY surprised at the change. When used with Lancer's mid range cam, it should be very impressive, yet reliable. With that combo premium pump gas will work fine.That is what I run in my 1967 Royal Enfield 750. It is 9.5 to 1,and has race cams from the factory. I have owned several and built several 650-750 Triumph motors and the 9.5 and mild cam is a great combo for the street. You can get away with stock valve springs as long as you don't go with a cam lift over .350. Lighter pistons will "unbalance" the motor. It is unfortunate that the Savage motor is of the overhead cam variety. You could get the same performance by shaving the head or block(jug) for a lot less than the new piston, but at least you don't have to split the case to change the cam like most bikes. Another advantage of the Savage is the auto compression release. When going from 8.5 to 9.5 with a kicker, you really know what a change it is. I am just finishing up a 650 Triumph chopper. I put the 750 big bore kit on and 9.5 pistons. I can now put my full weight(150) on the kicker and it just sets there until I lunge on it. It sounds like LesGolden wants to embarass some bikes from 0-70mph with the 14/45 ratio. One more reason for the chain conversion. You can play around and not turn the belt into a rubber band..If L-VYRA wasn't only 3000 miles tired I would go with the 95mm to get the 666cc, just seems right for her evil theme I got going. Later on when she is a little older I just might have to do that. Just thought I would give my 2 cents.   Have fun!!!!   I always did.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #68 - 04/18/07 at 09:10:19

I MAY be able to afford one.  If we're under $100, I'll probably go in, and put the piston aside until I can get a cam & the boretech cyl treatment.  I believe I'd be interested in the 97 mm, 9.5:1 or so, stock weight if possible.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #69 - 04/18/07 at 09:28:57

There is one thing I forgot to mention. Deck height is critical. I am sure Suzuki has closer tolerances than the old Triumph company.You could buy two or three Triumphs back in the sixties and each would run different. After working on them for years I found out why. Some heads could be shaved down, and some couldn't because they were already as short as possible. Same for the jug. It was crazy. These were untouched Factory pieces. Just to be sure I would have more than one person check the deck clearance.   Hutch

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #70 - 04/18/07 at 18:32:37

I too have been watching this thread, and am very interested in the cam, piston, carb and exhaust upgrades. Unfortunately, due to things beyond my control, (read the "boss" and finances) they'll have to wait. However, as i think about the physics of all this, my intuition tells me that the piston must be stock weight... unless you want to drill and balance the crankshaft balancer to match the lighter piston. IF not this would throw the mechanics of the engine out of whack.  

Although with the amount of vibration the savage has anyway there's a good bet that it might be smoother when you're done.  Wink

can't wait to hear how the rebuilds go and the results, especially from those who are doing the piston and cam.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #71 - 04/18/07 at 21:22:36

Alright! Sounds like we are getting somewhere. Count on me for 1 96mm 9.5:1. I will send payment via Paypal as soon as we have a purchase date. Now I gotta start savin' muny for that bumpstick. A big THANKS to Lancer for handling this, I really appreciate it. Even If you are not going to rebild right now you may want to get in on this, I do not believe you will beat the price.

When you receive the news that my guns have been confiscated,you will know that I am dead.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #72 - 04/19/07 at 07:39:22

After reading the very informative comments from Hutch I went back to look for a program I ran across a few years ago which will calculate displacement and compression ratio when changing bore &/or stroke on an engine.
Understand that these are very likely rough numbers.

Stock:
94x94 ... 652cc ... 8.5:1cr

95x94 ... 666cc ... 8.68:1cr
96x94 ... 680cc ... 8.87:1cr
97x94 ... 695cc ... 9.05:1cr

I wonder if the piston makers factor this into their plan when they make it in order to get an exact cr result?  Probably so, but on the next contact I will ask about it.

At this point we only have 8 members who have said they want to do this, and 1 maybe.  One of the 8 wants 2 pistons.  That makes 9 or possibly 10 pistons so far.
We need more folks if we want the $15 discount.
Personally, I really care about the discount all that much.  It would be nice to get the price down, especially if we were able to have a 40 piston order and knock $30 off the price.  But regardless, if I really want to put in a bigger &/or higher cr piston then a few $ is not going to make  a difference to me.  When considering that the cylinder will need boring, new gaskets for the rebuild, etc, and the costs associated with those things then the $15-30 is not really a significant factor.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #73 - 04/19/07 at 08:37:17

LANCER, you know I never thought about the compression factor. I wonder if they do figure that in or if the overbore  compression is an added plus to the piston itself. I am like you when it comes to the discount. When I want something bad enough, I don't care how much it cost. But on a good note you can count me in on a piston. I will just put it on a self until I get some miles on L-VYRA, and buy a cam from you later also. I know you said that the pistons had to be next to each other in size. There might be a problem with me being the only person wanting a 95mm for the 666cc configuration. If this is the case I will just wait until later to buy one separate from the group buy. Let me know what the deal is, and I will order accordingly. You already know I  have PayPal. Any word on the rush cables yet? I'm getting antsie.    Hutch
BTW are these pistons cast or forged. Forged is the only piston that will not break if anyone would ever think of putting NOS on the bike. Also you get a better exhaust flow with the flat top piston than the dome, because the hump is not holding gasses back. That is why I always went with overbore and milled the head(if possible) and milled the cyclinder for more compression. This will be the first time I went with a taller flat top piston. Should be great for the overhead cam timing problem. One thing nice about your cam specs is you won't end up with a lot of valve overlap. Overlap is when both intake and exhaust is open at the same time. I had a 327 vette motor that I bored 40 over and milled both the heads and block 20. With the .510 lift and 480 duration cam I ended up with 2 thousandths clearance for the valves. Long slot rocker arms so I wouldn't break off the studs. HD valve springs.I messed up and didn't double check my torque on one rod cap and heard a tick in my motor. It was the valves hitting the piston on the badly torqued piston rod.Retorqued no problem. 450 hp 327 motor. Fastest car I ever owned. The biggest cam I put in a bike was a .400" lift, 340 duration in a Triumph. 3 thousandths clearance with the milled cyclinders and head. If you could kick it over AND it would start, it was real fun. Not for town use though, loaded up like crazy if not wide open all the time. You will know when you have a LOT of valve over lap. Just take off the air cleaner and you will hear the motor "huff" out the carb and see the gas mist out of the carb and suck back into the carb. You should not have any problems with the .264" lift and 239 duration cam that LANCER is offering. Good combo with the pistons you are planning on using. Perfect for the street and reliable. Radical is for the  drag strip.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #74 - 04/19/07 at 16:50:38

I am interested in a 96mm 9.5:1

WWW   IP Logged