Send Topic Print
Piston Group Buy (Read 48 times)
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Re: Piston Group Buy
Reply #45 - 04/12/07 at 19:23:28

And you know how things in forums seem to move around kinda slowly.....  I figured I could get final numbers by the time we had enough people agreeing on what to get.  I just keep pushing the subject to keep interest up...  I was actually kinda hoping that someone else would take over this topic when I started it... but i'll drag my lazy behind up and figure this thing out, might just take me a bit..  so where is everyone else at now as far as size and compression?  And i'm not sure yet what has to be done to the piston to get our desired compression, just the bore increase and moving the rings up would get a some more compression, i don't know how much.. probably still have to go a little taller and if the deck is 4mm and the valves open just .03 into the cylinder less than that, we'd need the valve pockets. maybe it is time for another call to ross...  I think It would come to 152.50 each for up to 20 pistons 137.50 each over 20.. these are just estimates without final figures, could be more, could be less, these are supposed to be high estimates, but you never know.  I'll keep lookin' for numbers, if anyone else finds any lemme know!

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #46 - 04/12/07 at 20:17:53

Please confirm when you tear your engine apart but here is what I have on my spare cylinder ('87 or '88 with a 94mm bore).

4mm deck (from top of piston to top of cylinder) as measured on the cylinder side wall from hot gas marking.

It has a 5mm liner thickness.  The top measures 5mm and the bottom is 7-7.5mm (skirt is much thinner) so there must be a shoulder toward the bottom end and it is pushed in from that direction. (or the the whole thing is 7mm thick and a smaller diameter at the top for a stop I wouldn't count on that though.)

If we keep this at a 9.5:1 and in the 95/96mm bore (97 max). No fancy coatings or lightening work and target $150 or less with rings and pin, then I think I could spring for one to put on the shelf.

WWW   IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #47 - 04/13/07 at 04:43:06

Ok, most folks seem happier with 96mm 9.5:1.  I'd actually like to keep 3mm liner thickness so 96 is fine by me.  I'll give up a half point on compression, I'm still going to have to run an oil cooler if i do the nitrous, but 9.5 keeps me in a safer range with the pressure i'll be adding...  There were definately at least 4 sold with these specs, so i'll call ross again, see if what kind of numbers they already have for our bike, if any.  Thinking now..  If they do have the necessary info would everyone like me to place the order?  I'll wait a couple of days on responses before i call, but i don't know if ross will have the info.  I still need to see if they will let us all send in payment seperately and then ship to us each seperately.. If they will not do this, is there maybe a trusted board god here that would be willing to make the transaction?  Collect the funds and then seperate the order for everyone, maybe for a small fee?  I'm new here, so I don't expect to be trusted with anyone's money or piston, and frankly I avoid responsibilty whenever possible anyway.  I don't really think this will be necessary, ross will probably charge us extra to ship individually, but i don't see why they wouldn't do it.  I'm just trying to line these ducks up, so hard to get neat rows...

on your ls650
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #48 - 04/13/07 at 07:10:26

If it turns out to be necessary I would be willing to act as the central ordering/shipping point.  Nothing extra needed, just cover actual costs to everyone.  

I do not know if it would be possible with this particular business, but since I am an authorized parts dealer for several companies already ... they MIGHT be willing to sell to me at a dealer/wholesale cost and thus saving us all some $$.  It all depends on their requirements for being a dealer.
If so blessed, we could possibly save anywhere from 10-30% on the piston cost.

If the person who made the initial contact with this company can send the name/number I will check on it.

***To be perfectly clear with everyone here, if it is possible to be listed as a dealer with this company, then when making THIS order it will be on a cost only basis ... I would not want to take any profit on this.  Every member on this website who wants a piston would pay the same wholesale price.   After this order is complete I may list the pistons on occasion with a few of the other parts  I put together.

If this sounds OK with everyone I will check on the possibility.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #49 - 04/13/07 at 08:36:38

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
If it turns out to be necessary I would be willing to act as the central ordering/shipping point.  Nothing extra needed, just cover actual costs to everyone.  

I do not know if it would be possible with this particular business, but since I am an authorized parts dealer for several companies already ... they MIGHT be willing to sell to me at a dealer/wholesale cost and thus saving us all some $$.  It all depends on their requirements for being a dealer.
If so blessed, we could possibly save anywhere from 10-30% on the piston cost.

If the person who made the initial contact with this company can send the name/number I will check on it.

***To be perfectly clear with everyone here, if it is possible to be listed as a dealer with this company, then when making THIS order it will be on a cost only basis ... I would not want to take any profit on this.  Every member on this website who wants a piston would pay the same wholesale price.   After this order is complete I may list the pistons on occasion with a few of the other parts  I put together.

If this sounds OK with everyone I will check on the possibility.

I can't speak for the guy who started this piston discussion, or anyone else, but I'm okay with that arrangement. It seems that several people have been concerned about compatibility with your camshaft kit anyways. As a future possibility, myself included, in the prospect of a mild low-mid torque cam grind.

I've been wondering if you would kick in here, as I see the opportunity for you to eventually offer stepped kits: Stage #1; Stage #2; Stage #3 ... With increasing degree of performance/cost. It's a common marketing strategy benificial too both seller and buyers, as it assures compatibility, and allows buyers to decide what level of performance/durability they are comfortable with.

But there is a point were this sort of thing gets a bit sticky, and I know this from ordering other custom parts with another group (In the other case it was music instrument speakers)...

Once someone has associated themselves with a design from a company, sometimes the company will refuse to allow anyone else, other than the person who made the original order, to order that design in the future.

IOW, that person has exclusive rights to that design from that manufacturer. I'd hope this wouldn't be the case here. Though unlikely, someone else might want to order the minimum four pistons in the future, and it would be nice if the company didn't turn them away because "that design belongs to ______!"

Barring that one fluke, I'd think your offer would be a service to the group as a whole, and probably the most economical way too, IF they will allow you a wholesale discount. Of course, once this whole thing is a proven scheme, I'm sure there will be more folk want in on it in the future, and the ground work will already be laid.

Of course, you could always offer the people from this group some discount on future purchase, as I've seen you do in the past.   Wink  (To clarify: Discount as compared to what you might sell for $$$ on eBay or elsewhere.)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #50 - 04/13/07 at 11:35:23

John,

I appreciate your remarks on my post, and wanted to add a bit more for all concerned.  
The companies I am associated with to date have not offered or requested an exclusive relationship on any parts sales, and I do prefer it that way.  I have on occasion provided specifics on parts/sources/prices, etc, to anyone who asked.    My purpose in buying/selling parts has been from the beginning to just support my own "Savage Habit".   With that in mind I do not desire any exclusive rights with any company at all.  That sort of thing requires a larger commitment business wise and I have no desire to go there.  I want to keep things as easy and simple as possible.  I will gladly share parts info with anyone who wants to get more in depth with their own project and if necessary deal directly with a parts company.   This whole thing started with others requesting that I set up a rebuilt used carb for them because they did not feel confident of their skills.  Being retired, I need to stay retired and not be burdened with running a company.  I only did the dealer thing in order to save $$ ... as in this case.

So, let's try to save some $$ for everyone and have some fun.

IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #51 - 04/13/07 at 13:29:53

I am ok with Lancer handling the purchase Smiley I am also ok with 9.5:1 and 96mm. I am really ok with saving 10-30%.
I am leaving this evening for Oil City PA and will not be back until Sunday, if we start purchasing before I get back count me in, I will send payment when I get back.

When you receive the news that my guns have been confiscated,you will know that I am dead.
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #52 - 04/13/07 at 14:25:51

Lancer, i would much rather you get in touch with them, see about dealer costs.  I'll PM you with the info.

on your ls650
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 04/13/07 at 15:01:13

I really want in on this, but simply cant scrape up the $$ till the 3rd O May. I like the idea of not going whole hog in either direction, bore or compression.

Lancer, will this be a good thing along with the cam I am getting thru you? I expect I know the answer, but I would rather ask a silly question than risk a nasty surprise. Will the added duration on the cam create a clearance issue? Even as the cam becomes more retarded dut to chain wear?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #54 - 04/13/07 at 20:33:07

I will contact the rep next week and see about the dealer status, so let's keep this covered in prayer and ask for God's favor.  We need all the help we can get.

When putting in a bit more cam action and bumping the compression a little will result in much bigger smiles for miles and miles.  BUT we need the exact numbers on piston-to-valve clearance before we jump into this pan.
I will try to work on it but hope others will also ... multiple numbers to compare would be good.

Should be fun.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #55 - 04/17/07 at 11:35:06

I was able to talk with the folks at Ross Pistons today.
It may be possible to work out a dealer thing with them.
The price on the pistons is still mostly determined by the number of pistons/order.

Minimum order is 4 (as mentioned before), and priced at about $100 per piston for a domed HD type, or $94 for a flattop Suzuki type.

If the order goes up to 20+ then the prices are $85 & $80 ea for HD & Suzuki.
For an order of 40+ it will be in the $65 & $60 range per piston.
These prices are for piston only, no pin or rings, they are extra.  Sorry, did not get those prices.

***Each order of 20 or more can be split up into 2 groups of the same compression ratio but with different bore sizes...like 10 of 96mm and 10 of 97 mm, with all 20 being of the same comp. ratio of 9.5.  The bore sizes need to be next to each other.   We cannot do a stock 94mm and then 97mm for example.

If we can get enough of us together for at least an order of 20 then we can get them for about $80 each.

So, what do you all think at this point?
Should we go to the next step of getting the EXACT NUMBERS that they will need to in order to do something?

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #56 - 04/17/07 at 15:38:11

I'm ready when we have the numbers.  I'll check them when i do the cam... which i just got.. and is very is pretty. Thank you Lancer! so i'll be doing it soon, next few days work schedule permiting.  Now i have the order form .pdf from ross for custom pistons..  do you know all the numbers we need? I couldn't figure out if they had some stock figures or not... And i'd rather not try to figure out some of the volumes...

on your ls650
  IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #57 - 04/17/07 at 16:13:31

You can count me in for one.  I am based in the UK but I will cover the cost of postage/shipping as long as someone can send it to me.  I can pay up front when the time comes.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #58 - 04/17/07 at 17:00:02

This will require an upfront payment from everyone who wants one of the pistons.  So for anyone who is interested it would be a good idea to set the $$ aside in a can or something as soon as possible while we work on getting the required data and also get the necessary 20 commitments.

I will get back with the piston guy, John, and get estimates on shipping a box of 20+ pistons to me and also factor in the cost of shipping from me to all of y'all.
I may need to add in a buck or two for the packaging I will need to send the pistons to each of you.  The boxes I can get from the USPS free for domestic addresses, but other boxes will be necessary for any international addresses and maybe some packing material if needed.  I usually try to use free stuff like newspaper and such though.  I just want to be prepared.   The shipping cost outside the US will be handled on an individual basis depending on where you may be located.

Remember, we need a minimum of 4 just to place an order.  So let's work on bringing in as many Savage riders as possible on this.

I was thinking of starting a new thread for the sole  purpose of people to make their commitment, then we would have a "hard list" which everyone could check out and monitor our progress.  Then as soon as we hit the magic #20 (or beyond), everyone could process their payment within a day or two and I can process the order.
I can also keep everyone up to date with the whole process of ordering, manufacturing, shipping here, shipping out, and exact costs along the way.
Everything out in the open.

One point about the payment process.  I have a merchants account with Paypal and can therefore accept credit card or Paypal account payments.  That may make it easier for some to do this.  If anyone needs to make payment with a Money order then we will need to work that out individually.  If anyone is in that catagory then let me know right away.  But please understand that a cc or paypal is by far the easiest to do.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #59 - 04/17/07 at 19:53:12

While I think your idea of a seprate thread for commitment is the way to go, folk need to know exactly what they are commiting to; including the total cost of a useable kit (rings, pin, and all...)

Also, since this thing has been kind of a "design by committee" thing (often not a good idea) I think I'd throw my vote in for a flat top piston over a dome. While the dome 'might' have better performance, the flat top would be more predictable and the safer bet I think. That is, unless someone has some evidense that a dome top is an obviously better choice for the Hemi chamber (and it may well be). I'd also have a tendancy to follow the manufacturer's fecommendation on such matters, as they might just know what they are talkin' about.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:00:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Piston Group Buy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.