Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: Piston Group Buy
Reply #15 - 04/03/07 at 18:49:19

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
no cash...  but I'd like to get in on it...  oh well...

anything much over 10.5:1 or so would likely require stronger valve springs, and also, the head is aluminum... but then again, there are several v*1100s with Au heads running 12:1 CRs.

Not to be a smart A... but gold heads?  Au is gold...Al is aluminum   Grin

PS: can you explain why stronger valve springs?  see my post right before this one.  Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #16 - 04/03/07 at 19:21:32

No need for stronger springs with just the higher compression.  If using an aggresive cam with the highercompression you may need stronger springs to compensate for the cam (so much lift can wear stockers and cause flutter) I was just suggesting an answer to wanting stronger springs.  Ross must be working from stock figures, they just ask about any mods we've made, (pistons should work fine with stock cam, better with regrind).  I gave the 8mm deck clearance figure from our last piston post, and the fella seemed surprised, maybe that is not the stock clearance? i would like a positive measurement on this also before we order...  anyone know the deck height for sure?

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 04/03/07 at 19:31:59

Let me ask a couple dumb questions...

Does any of the skirt milling and lightening change any of the engine balance/counter-balance characteristics?  I imagine that it does have some effect, but how much?

Would it not be good to just get the piston to be the same weight as stock?  Or is that already understood?

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #18 - 04/03/07 at 19:36:49

the 4mm deck height seems more probable, i can't find the stock figures anywhere, (but then, i have no clymers).  If that's the case we can still go 2-4mm heigher with the piston without entering the combustion chamber, with valve pockets cut down to within .03 of the original piston height at tdc we should be safe, and we'll definately be able to get to 10:1.  I think the valve pockets raise the piston price by about 20 bucks. so with rings and pins about 157 a peice. That's getting a little steep but i'm still in....  hopefully that 8mm figure is correct....

on your ls650
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #19 - 04/03/07 at 19:42:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Let me ask a couple dumb questions...

Does any of the skirt milling and lightening change any of the engine balance/counter-balance characteristics?  I imagine that it does have some effect, but how much?

Would it not be good to just get the piston to be the same weight as stock?  Or is that already understood?

I think stock weight is the way to go.  And i have no idea how strong an effect a lighter piston would have on balance...  i do know that a lighter piston and a lighter crank would give a few more rpm..  but may very well rattle the bike apart...  at least without working on the couterbalance somehow...  that's getting a bit beyond my backyard mechanical ability.... Undecided  I'll have to just lust after that 8000rpm redline and leave figuring out how to do it to someone else...

on your ls650
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 04/03/07 at 20:15:48

yeah, Au is gold, Al is aluminum...  Embarrassed

and I get to put another  Embarrassed as stronger valve springs are for agrerssive cams... (wasn't thinking, just typing...) stock springs should be fine for mild cams...

oh here was my thought train:

anything over 10.5:1 or so needs an aggressive cam to ge thte most out of it, then we'd need the stonger springs... now that makes sense.  Roll Eyes

and for what it's worth, my understanding is that stock weight pistons are the way to go if possible.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/04/07 at 18:03:01

[quote author=LesGolden link=board=RubberSideDown;num=1175481076;start=0#19 date=04/03/07 at 19:42:28]

I think stock weight is the way to go.  And i have no idea how strong an effect a lighter piston would have on balance...  i do know that a lighter piston and a lighter crank would give a few more rpm..  but may very well rattle the bike apart...  at least without working on the couterbalance somehow...

I would expect the counterballancer to under counter the piston vibes by a good deal to keep the engine inertia down. I wuld be verey surprised to find the vibrations are the result of the counterballancer & not the piston. Meaning, if the piston could be lighter, I would expect a smoother engine.

Next: Untill I know more about this piston & how it will work with the cam I am getting, I am just INTERRESTED. I want to make the bike run as well as I can & not go beyond its mechanical integrity. I dont want it breaking every week because I have stuck too many ponies into it. I wonder if the cam, along with a single walled header & a cleaned up exhast port, Supertrapp & jetted carb won't just about push the lower end & tranny to its limits the way I like to ride.

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #22 - 04/04/07 at 19:03:15

We'll definately get everything figured out before an order, just looking for interest until then.  If we can get 4 folks agreeing on the same numbers, looking to order within the next month or so we can figure out exactly what we need to do to the pistons to reach those goals.  I'm ready as soon as we have deck height figures.
97mm
10:1 compression
we need two more.

on your ls650
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #23 - 04/08/07 at 16:37:11

Had to drag this back up, I'm open to suggestions for size and CR figures.  How about the 97mm's with 9.5:1? Keep a similar torque curve, but should help open things up with some head work and a cam and carb..  still gotta get the deck height, gonna pull the head in a week or so, i'll check then.

on your ls650
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 04/09/07 at 06:18:44

96mm 9.5:1 and I'll take 2 -  

wiseco makes 3 95mm/96mm/97mm - interchangable with the dr650 up through 1995 - the specs on the 4597MO9600 (96mm) with a +1 on compression is all I'd really be comfortable with in these road bikes

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #25 - 04/09/07 at 18:47:48

I would have to agree.  I was out on a 10:1 compression.  Too high for my comfort level.  I would consider looking at a 9.5:1 if we can run the Lancer cam and clear the valves.  As far as bore I am on the fence..would probably look at a 1mm over not knowing the exact status of my bore.

WWW   IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #26 - 04/10/07 at 08:29:24

96mm 9.5:1 and I'm in also.  96mm is boreing about .07 over, not real extreme with the thickness of our cylinder, we'll get about 1 horse per mm overbore, nothing serious, but worthwhile with changes in carb and cam.  With the bore tech carbide coating i wouldn't worry much about longevity, as someone else on here mentioned, ceramic bores rarely need rebore or resleave work, the strength is pretty serious.  The only concern left is valve clearance, but since the wiseco order was for 9.5:1 CR it must fit, we still need the numbers, but i'm sure it will work.  There are three spoken for now, at leats 1 more person and i will make another call to ross to set up the order.

Oh yeah, if we went with 95mm it comes to 666cc, make for a neat theme anyway..

on your ls650
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #27 - 04/10/07 at 09:38:48

LesGolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
96mm 9.5:1 and I'm in also.  96mm is boreing about .07 over, not real extreme with the thickness of our cylinder, we'll get about 1 horse per mm overbore, nothing serious, but worthwhile with changes in carb and cam.  With the bore tech carbide coating i wouldn't worry much about longevity, as someone else on here mentioned, ceramic bores rarely need rebore or resleave work, the strength is pretty serious.  The only concern left is valve clearance, but since the wiseco order was for 9.5:1 CR it must fit, we still need the numbers, but i'm sure it will work.  There are three spoken for now, at leats 1 more person and i will make another call to ross to set up the order.

Oh yeah, if we went with 95mm it comes to 666cc, make for a neat theme anyway..

A couple of things.  I was able to measure my extra cyclinder this morning and the spare piston and it appears that the deck is indeed 4mm.  There is an additional 4mm that shows up on the cylinder wall but that is the distance from the top of the piston to the first ring.  So....at first glance a used disassembled cyclinder would appear to have a deck of 8mm but it is closer to 4mm.  Now that has not finalized the number (as we should still have one attached to a bottom end) but you now know what ballpark we are playing in.

On a different note, are they surface treating the steel liners?  I had only heard of that done on aluminum bores like they do on the more recent GSX-R's to eliminate the weight of a liner and increase the thermal transfer by not having it.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #28 - 04/11/07 at 01:15:00

Okay... Now that you guys are talking more reasonable for street use, and not max bore and compression, I'm "Interested." I'll buy in for one at a reasonable price @ 96mm and 9.5:1 That gets us 680cc right? And I think people will be surprised what a slight increase in the compression ratio will do to the power. (1)

I don't care anything about making the piston lighter; modifying the skirt, or any trick coating on the piston itself. Just a good forged piston with no interference, and the possibility of adding a performance cam (like Lancer's).

One concern... Ross mentions "racing rings" which are a different animal from normal use rings. But then they also continue to describe multi-part rings like street bikes use. I want to be sure we are getting a ring set that will hold up for a long time, and isn't made to be changed after every few "races!"

Provided of course that one size fits all... I noticed that the Wisco 96mm says years 1986-1995. Is there a difference after that? I'm wanting the piston for my newly aquired 1999 that has 27k miles on it. I know the head has supposedly been "done" (what was done I don't know). I have no idea what might have been done to the cylinder at that time. As told to me, only the head was re-worked.

(1) Back in the early 90s, I owned an old 70s Savage 250cc Enduro bike. It looked and rode good, but was smokin' and a bit down on power. I was going to hone and ring it, and went to a local Suzuki Guru who used to own the biggest dealership in the area. As an old man, he had lost the dealership, and now ran a cycle salvage. When I went to see him for a set of rings, he went into the back of one of his old sheds, and came out with this NOS piston for some Suzuki 250cc MX bike, and nonchalantly said "drop this into her and see what happens." I did, and the tame little Savage was instantly turned into a fire breathing beast that would wheelie at will on throttle twist all the way up through third gear! Fourth gear only required that you help jerk it up a bit!  My point: I learned a big lesson from the old man. A little compression change can go a long way. I know the two Savages are very different bikes, and I wouldn't expect that kind of change out of our street Savage, but I still think some folks will be surprised what the difference between 8.5 and 9.5 might do.

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #29 - 04/11/07 at 04:23:07

It's a multi ring setup, they set the gaps according to your use, i think they just say "racing" to make the power hungry like me say "ooo i need those!!"

on your ls650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:05:58