Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Piston Group Buy
04/01/07 at 19:31:16

100.79 Piston
19.49 Racing Rings
9.48 AW "Window Milling" of the inside of the skirt
15.48 Black Skirt Coat Similar to Hard Anodizing has Teflon Seal for prolonged life and decreased friction

That comes to 145.24.  We could spend more getting it lighter but that may decrease strength.  We could get ceramic coating on the top of the piston for 20 something more, or we could just get the pistons and rings for 120 bucks.

Since bigger is no more expensive I vote for doing 97mm.  I'd like the window milling and coating and around 10-10.5 for compression.  What do you guys think?  Soon as we know what we want, i'll get final figures with shipping from ross and let everyone know!

Hmm also i wonder if bore tech might give us a group rate if several of us wanted the same bore/hone size and carbide coating process....

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Piston Group Buy
Reply #1 - 04/01/07 at 20:51:34

I wonder just how hot an engine we can create before we start wiping out tranny parts. The engineers who designed the tranny had a pretty good idea what kinda horsepower the engine would be running thru those gears, bearings & shafts. I want to get as close as I can to that limit & still have a reasonably depandable machine. I can see the need for going to the chain. Once the engine is jacked up on power, ther's no reason to keep it geard so low. Maybe keeping it alive will require NOT taking off as hard as possible. Using the power more gently & using it for higher top end & not try to make a drag bike out of it. I would be interrested in getting a piston to stick on the shelf till it's time to do the top end. I would need to stop & think about the $$. Might just be able to do that if it's not too soon. I would naturally have to rely on the resident experts to decide on what piston & compression ratio would be a smart choice.

IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 04/01/07 at 20:54:21

I'm in, 97mm, 10-10.5 comp. , AW, skirt treatment, and ceramic coating. How are we going to deal with shipping?

When you receive the news that my guns have been confiscated,you will know that I am dead.
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #3 - 04/01/07 at 21:00:20

Two folks for the same piston seems like a good enough start, I'll talk to ross tommorrow and see if we can't get each piston from the order shipped seperately and what they'll charge for it.  I'll also see if we can each just pay them directly seperatly, i don't see why it should be a problem.  I'll check it out tommorrow and then check in with more details.

on your ls650
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #4 - 04/01/07 at 21:11:30

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I wonder just how hot an engine we can create before we start wiping out tranny parts. The engineers who designed the tranny had a pretty good idea what kinda horsepower the engine would be running thru those gears, bearings & shafts. I want to get as close as I can to that limit & still have a reasonably depandable machine. I can see the need for going to the chain. Once the engine is jacked up on power, ther's no reason to keep it geard so low. Maybe keeping it alive will require NOT taking off as hard as possible. Using the power more gently & using it for higher top end & not try to make a drag bike out of it. I would be interrested in getting a piston to stick on the shelf till it's time to do the top end. I would need to stop & think about the $$. Might just be able to do that if it's not too soon. I would naturally have to rely on the resident experts to decide on what piston & compression ratio would be a smart choice.

Transmission strength is a good point, i'm sure there will be some more wear, but more power almost always costs a little in longevity... definately seems like taller gearing (yeah, chain prolly) is in the future. wonder if there are any 6 speeds that could be forced to work...

on your ls650
  IP Logged
wvhunter62
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 04/01/07 at 21:46:46

The life of your tranny will largely depend on how aggressivley you apply power. If you hammer it at every chance you get your tranny will suffer, if you "roll" on the power(think smooth) the power increase will have little affect on tranny life.

When you receive the news that my guns have been confiscated,you will know that I am dead.
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #6 - 04/03/07 at 09:32:02

Ok guys, just got off the phone with Ross, really helpfull people by the way, and heres the skinny.  Pins, rings, and pistons would be about 550 for 4.  The motorcycle tech said we probably wouldn't notice a difference with skirt milling and there is decreased life with that.  Coatings would raise the price a bit and again weren't recommended, he said he'd be happy to sell it too us, but unless we're pounding them with nitrous not really necessary.  Bore size doesn't change price, they do all have to be the same piston, and if we have 20 or more the price will drop quite a bit.  The compression could maybe get even higher than the 10-10.5 we were talking about, it's dependent on the clearance.  If the 8mm deck height is accurate, we could go quite a bit higher.  Still though, my vote is for 97mm with just over 10:1 compression, the price is roughly 137.50 each, this is supposed to be a high estimate the actuall cost may be lower.

97mm 10:1 or higher compression.
Need at least 2 more people.

on your ls650
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 04/03/07 at 09:39:35

no cash...  but I'd like to get in on it...  oh well...

anything much over 10.5:1 or so would likely require stronger valve springs, and also, the head is aluminum... but then again, there are several v*1100s with Au heads running 12:1 CRs.

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #8 - 04/03/07 at 09:45:13

I'll bet your right about the valve springs, anyone know if they could be shimmed if someone wanted to go even higher compression? Or do you just hafta get stronger springs?

on your ls650
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 04/03/07 at 17:02:05

Is anyone concerned about detonation at 10:1?  Or do you think 92 octane will control it?  How much can we retard the ignition?

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 04/03/07 at 17:14:39

You mean pinging or pre-detonation?  I think we'll be okay on 92 or 93.  With the stock CDI box, not at all.  look up the "possibel ignition mod" thread, though.

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #11 - 04/03/07 at 17:17:34

Plenty of vehicles run compression that high with pump gas, i think we'll be ok with 92.  Hmm no timing adjustment... hmmm.....   The spark plug may need to be colder... anyone know?

on your ls650
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 04/03/07 at 18:26:18

With a 3.7" stroke and 8.5:1 compression this thing is set to run on 85-87 octane.  

I've been thinking about this today for some reason when I saw this thread.  

If you go to 9-9.5:1 you will likely need to run 89-90 octane.  At around 10:1, 92-93 octane would be advisable.  Anything over 10:1 and I wouldn't recommend pump gas anymore.  Keep in mind that cams that stay open during the compression stroke will offset the extra compression and be more conducive to high RPM power output.

This is just some theoretical "back of the napkin" calculations, but actual test data will take the final say.  However, the actual test data may not account for extreme cases.

What compression does Lancer run and what's the particulars on his cam?  Anyone know?  Lancer?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #13 - 04/03/07 at 18:29:59

I can get behind that logic, keeps us at the same figures too!  Just need two more people! Roll Eyes

on your ls650
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #14 - 04/03/07 at 18:44:27

Yes I mean detonation (pre-ignition) or pinging/knocking.  I figured 92 should work but also thought it would be close.  Doesn't head design have some affect on it?  

Also, you say no adjustment with a stock CDI box but why couldn't you slot the plate that holds the ignition pick up sensors?  I wouln'd be against machining a new ignition rotor.  (I will show my ignorance to the savage engine here assuming the ignition was designed the same as all the old GS's and GSX-R's!)

I had been leaning more towards Lancers approach of machining the barrel deck but then you would also have to slot the cam sprocket to re-adjust the cam timing.  This approach would solve that.

As far as the buy I am on the fence.  I am just geting ready to start my project and would like to go high comp but have alot of work ahead of that.  Also, is the piston company working off our numbers for the new piston design or do they have stock factory specs they are working off of.  I just want to make sure if I lay down the cash it will drop in and deliver as thought.

Lastly, can someone explain to me why the valve springs would be in question for a high comp engine?  They are opened positively with the cam and closed by the springs....why would the springs need to be stronger unless you were going to push the rev ceiling up?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:11:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Piston Group Buy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.