Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Problems adjusting the belt tension (Read 20 times)
chris.heff
Ex Member

Problems adjusting the belt tension
04/01/07 at 17:47:55

Hi, just changed my back tire last week.  I have a Clymer manual, it says I need a tension gauge to adjust the belt tension, though it doesn't give me a pound level for deflection.  I do not have this tension gauge, nor do I know anyone that has it.  Does any one that has this gauge can tell me what the tension is supposed to be.  I would prefer to have the tension and tracking correct so I don't damage the belt.

Thanks

Chris

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Problems adjusting the belt tension
Reply #1 - 04/01/07 at 18:10:21

You don't need the gauge - just use the twist method - tighten it until you can only twist the belt 90deg about a foot or so in front of the rear pulley - the gauge get's it too tight

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/01/07 at 19:19:33

Since I retired the compression gauge & went with the twist method, my belt is quieter. Just get it tight enough to allow ya to twist the belt so you can get 90 degrees of twist about half way between the front & rear sprokkits. Like Reel thing said.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 04/02/07 at 11:07:02

Do the 90 degree twist on the bottom section of the belt.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
monkee72
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/02/07 at 11:08:37

Along with what those guys all said.  I did the same thing last year, and rode about 2000 miles since, with no problems.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/03/07 at 20:01:43

We put up with squeaky belts for a couple years, until I began using the 90 method.  Darn, all the time I wasted trying to do it like the manual said....

The tension gage might make a good fishing weight...or a boat anchor Smiley

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #6 - 04/03/07 at 20:07:52

convert to a chain problem solved!  Grin Grin Grin

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #7 - 04/03/07 at 20:16:46

8)I agree with the twist method.  I used the gauge that came with the bike once, and not only was it a pain in you know what, it was very inconsistant and got my belt to tight.  As far as alignment goes, it is a lot easier to do with it up on a jack of some type.  I paid $70 for mine in Wal-Mart made by GMAC.  Works great and is very stable with a 1X3 wood mod on one leg. Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #8 - 04/03/07 at 20:19:05

One more thing about the alignment.  Do not trust the alignment marks 100%.  Mine were off a little and got me some unwanted noise from the belt rubbing on the front pully.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
chris.heff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/03/07 at 21:28:47

I am unable to see the alignment marks, not sure if they forgot them on my bike or what.  I'm kind of winging it when it comes to alignment.  I'll double check again tomorrow, and try the 90 method to see how far out or close it is.

IP Logged
chris.heff
Ex Member

CaRe: Problems adjusting the belt tension
Reply #10 - 04/03/07 at 21:30:39

Can't say I would ever want to go back to a chain.  Too much maintenance.  A belt may be a pain to set up initially but you never touch it again.  Until I had to change my back tire, I've never adjusted the belt tension or any need to for the three years I've owned this thing.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/04/07 at 05:16:36

firsts40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
One more thing about the alignment.  Do not trust the alignment marks 100%.  Mine were off a little and got me some unwanted noise from the belt rubbing on the front pully.

Those alignment marks are not critical at all, and a little rubbing on the pulley sides happens anyway.  My bet is that something else was rubbing...such as the pulley on the cover.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: CaRe: Problems adjusting the belt tension
Reply #12 - 04/04/07 at 05:27:13

chris.heff wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Can't say I would ever want to go back to a chain.  Too much maintenance.  A belt may be a pain to set up initially but you never touch it again.  Until I had to change my back tire, I've never adjusted the belt tension or any need to for the three years I've owned this thing.

It's not this complex.  Really.  The adjustment isn't that critical.  They don't have to match perfectly.  The belt tension adjustment isn't either.  No rocket science at all.  That's why the manuals don't go into a lot of detail with it.

If you can't see the alignment marks, it is possible that the wheel adjusters were installed inside-out on the axle when the tire was last reinstalled.  That puts the marks on the inside.  Easy to do...

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 04/04/07 at 08:18:24

I changed my belt using the tensioner tool and did not have any real issues. Mine seemd to be in line with the 90 degree twist method so either way should suffice. The new belt will stretch, so make sure you recheck tension after a few hundred miles. I used a box end wrench on the wheel adjusters and would tighten each side 1/2 turn only. The wheel seemd to pull tight evenly, my notches line up pretty good. The belt doesn't sqeak and the bike seems to track fine. I suppose  2 long straight edges on either side aligning the front and back wheels would be better or a laser alignment, but I think I'm within the proverbial red nano pube.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/04/07 at 18:45:37

If alignment is an issue & the marks are on the inside, you can pop the front pulley cover off & run a string under the belt & roll the bike till the string is in front of the pulley, then, pull the string back to the rear of the rear pulley. It will show ya which way to adjust the rear wheel to get it close. But, no matter how close it gets, as soon as ya goose it, the tenbsion from the belt pulls the rear pulley foraward on the outside edge a bit, so, it's not ever gonna be perfect, no matter how good a job you do.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:25:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems adjusting the belt tension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.