Send Topic Print
Improving the Frame (Read 5 times)
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Improving the Frame
03/30/07 at 05:17:18

Has anyone here tried stiffening the stock frame?  I'm trying to figure out where i could put bracing to eliminate some flex, but not block the motor off completely...  I'm pretty comfortable with a welder but i'm clueless on the R&D.  Any experience out there?

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Improving the Frame
Reply #1 - 03/30/07 at 07:01:49

The first thing to come to mind there is a fork brace.  I have a Superbrace on my '98 and I love it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 03/30/07 at 07:31:31

I've always hated teh crappy bracket that the seat and tank bolt onto.  I've been thinking about cutting it out and welding in a 1/4" think, 1", 1.5" wide piece of steel and drilling and tapping holes.

Would this stiffen the frame at all?  I have no idea.  Probably not as it is already near the backbone.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/30/07 at 22:28:20

If it was flexing at that bracket, the busted paint would tell on it. Replacing a bracket that is not flexing shouldnt(IMO) affect the frames rigidity. For me, the weak link is the forks. I am waiting,, did I mention I am WAITing , on someone,, & that someone will REELy remain nameless, chukkle,. Anyway I am waiting on a fork brace to miraculously show up in my driveway. I have had this bike laid over at 70 dragging a peg & had no issue with the frame that I could feel. Of course,when the anus is drawn that tight, what would a guy feel? I really need to stop jumping when a peg hits the ground. Someday, that's liable to put me out of a corner with bad results.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 03/31/07 at 06:17:39

First of all, I agree with the issue of fork braces.
But the real improvement will come with an improved fron fork, perdiod.
Those who have the possibility should consider the front fork off a DR enduro, or off a Suzuki Vtwin.

Then I'd upgrade the rear shocks, possibly with a double action system (that you can adjust both in compression and in extension)
Never mind if they come with 16x16 different settings, a wise man will always mate compression and release settings at the same value unless he's a pro at a track day or something.
Just go for setting '1', ride it, then go for setting '8', then for setting '16' - that'll give you an idea of how the shocks will handle at the softers, firmest and middle settings. If you like the '8' and '1' settings somewhat, but '16' is cr4p, try '4', then maybe '6' or '2'.
It's like playing MasterMind, if you stop guessing and use your brain cells, it's actually enjoyable.

Last, I'd have a good look at the tires. Given the size of Savage rear tires, go for "suporsports" rubber (I have Avon Demon, semislick racing tire) with the limited horsepower of the Savage they will last a lifetime AND deliver excellent roadholding. Don't forget proper front rubber, with that skinny itsybitsy wheel it may be a problem.

Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/07 at 07:20:24

Would those improved shocks also be a bit longer? The pegs couls be farther from the ground & that would be nice.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/31/07 at 07:46:57

I had a fork brace, Progressive shocks, Metzler 880 tires & pushed it hard in corners. I'm fairly heavy but I never felt the frame flex. I've felt it in 2 other bikes though. Usually a bad front end wobble while leaned way over with the throttle pinned.  Scary when you don't expect it! Never felt that in the LS650. It always felt like it was on rails after the mods.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #7 - 04/01/07 at 20:56:31

Always plenty of great responses!  Must be that fork that feels like it's twisting up on the twisties...

on your ls650
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 04/02/07 at 03:53:28

I dont know if this is "improving" but I like it.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #9 - 04/02/07 at 05:29:26

Eh, i'd say a decent size rear tire and a disc brake is a pretty solid improvement.  Grin

on your ls650
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #10 - 04/02/07 at 19:30:00

Stiffening the frame would be difficult given most of it is single tube.  The swing arm pivot is reportedly an area many bikes are deficient at, but I don't know about the Savages.  Wider front downtubes would help, yes that's for sure..but all this may be overkill for a simple single.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 04/04/07 at 02:18:13

I've been told that different shoulder height tires don't always mix well.
In other words, that a /90 front and a /80 rear may seem alright, but the /80 rear actually forces you to lean more into the bend, and the /90 front may be very close to its roadholding capability.

This means that, at least in theory,  /90 tires should be opted for both front and rear...
90/90 and 130/90, ideally, or even 110/90 and 140/90 if one wants fatter tires.

I don't think there is a /80 tire for the front wheel.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 04/04/07 at 03:19:29

I have a 110/70 and a 140/70 both 17" rims.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:19:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Improving the Frame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.