Send Topic Print
Windshield Questions (Read 12 times)
fla-shadow
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Florida
Windshield Questions
03/29/07 at 21:15:26

I am looking to put a windshield on my 86 Savage, (slipstream Spitfire model).  I cannot decide whether to buy a tinted or clear model.  

Please let me know if you recommend either clear or tinted windshield and why.

Also, I have a tachometer mounted in the center of my handlebars and I want to hear if anyone has had any glare problems when using both a tachometer and windshield setup.

Thanks,

fla-shadow ???

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Windshield Questions
Reply #1 - 03/29/07 at 21:32:01

If you get one that's tinted very much it's not legal to ride with it on after dark. I've got one on mine thats like a fairing, covers the hands and goes down almost to knee level. I've had no glare problems with it at all.

Don't use squeegee(?) to clean it though or you'll have a lovely diffusin screen with a gazillion little scuffs and scratches.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 03/30/07 at 05:39:06

I can't help with the tach question but I'd say get the windshield you think looks the best.  If it's mounted/adjusted properly, you should be looking over it - not through it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 03/30/07 at 15:51:33

Why do you say that you should look over the windshield and not through it?

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/30/07 at 17:05:49

I read this too...
The windshield should be just below eye level.

I think it's ensure unobstructed vision.  Yet it's high enough to duck down under when neccessary.  You know when cagers throw their beer cans out the window and didn't see you.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 03/31/07 at 06:12:32

we went with the tinted, because you dont look through a spitfire

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
we went with a spitfire, i like 'em, big enough to take the pressure off your chest, not too big that it catches all the side drafts and influences steering, and you can see over it. i also have one on my HD. debbys HD has full size windshield, and i hate it!
http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/05/13/bikepics-586233-full.jpg

as i mentioned, debby's harley has a tall windshield that you look through, the convex shape distorts things, the sandblasting from roadgrime, bugs, and the tendancy of plexiglass to light-up like fiber optics, make it difficult to see through, creating glare from sunshine during the day and from headlights in the dark.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #6 - 03/31/07 at 18:05:21

I have a mephis shades windshield and it is fairly large, and I can look over it if I sit up straight.  I only do that if my windshield fogs over, or gets too many raindrops on it, to make it hard to see through.  Otherwise, I like it to shield some of the wind on the cooler days.  Today when I rode the bike, it was just above the freezing point.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/31/07 at 19:28:46

Mine is a slipstreamer. Mounts to handlebars. Easy to adjust up and down.

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 04/01/07 at 03:47:56

I have been riding for the last... 30 years? or so, and have never EVER liked the tall shields you look through, after a while they will get the gazillion microscratches and you'll have to replace them. That's why you can't ride at night with them on.

A good shield will get the wind off your chest, and deflect the wind to just over your hairline on the helmet, so it won't buffet.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:20:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.