Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Road tripin' it this afternoon (Read 4 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Road tripin' it this afternoon
03/29/07 at 09:16:31

Well... I got home from work tonight and waxed and polished my '96 NH.  I put the bags back on it and packed them up.  As soon as I get off I will be hittin the road.  The trip from here to Suffolk, VA is only about 4 1/2 hours, but the longest ride I have been on before was about 2 hour.  I also checked the weather forcast and it will be 52*F and raining when I leave here.  My riding jacket is 100% water-proof ( as far as the label says, anyway) but I have no pants.  I bought a pair of Fieldsheer waterproof overpants.  I'll have to see how they do.  I have not ridden more than 5 minutes in the rain before.  It is a little daunting to think about starting out on a 5 hour trip in the rain, but I'll just take it slow and safe.

The trip is so I can attend my Brother-in-Laws commissioning ceremony.  He is being commissioned as a Chief Warrant Officer in the Navy.

IP Logged
Grove_Tucky_650

Ohio - Grove City
Re: Road tripin' it this afternoon
Reply #1 - 03/29/07 at 09:55:39

Have fun and be careful!!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/29/07 at 11:31:51

The pants should do you good.  They have a tite fit at the bottom.  Be careful with the exhaust or you'll have a hole faster then you can say oh sh!t.

I've 4 already.

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 03/29/07 at 16:00:38

As for riding in the rain..well, once the tires feel a little wishy washy, make a conscious effort to loosen your grip on the handle bars, sit back and relax.  Keep an eye for potholes, cause under the water could be 1/2 inch or 1/2 a foot.  Enjoy the ceremony.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/29/07 at 18:14:34

give yourself plenty of space when following someone - sudden braking could cause you to skid. don't make sudden changes in direction nor accelerate/decelerate quickly & keep your speed down a bit & you'll be fine.

note as well - visibilty will not be as good as when not raining so be extra alert.

I rode for 20 years in England - a damp climate (no it doesn't always rain there - think Seattle weather) & never came off once in wet because I always took it easy when it did rain.

have fun - you'll be fine! Smiley

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #5 - 03/30/07 at 13:50:09

8) Be careful and remember the very little wieght you have under you.  I have ridden in the rain a few times and never had a problem, although I did slow down a little.  The longest ride I have been on with my 06 S40, is around 400 miles round trip in one day.  Bike rode good, used a touch of oil, but it did extremely well.  Made that ride with a group of HD's, and they were impressed.  The only problem I see with the Savage models, is if you have a stock front fender, WEAR SOME GOOD RAIN PROOF BOOTS !!  I use Kiwi Wet Proof on my boots, and it does fairly well.  It wouldn't hurt to carry some dry socks with you.

Ride safe and smart, and enjoy your trip.  Give him a congratulations from an Air Force 21 year vet.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:21:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Road tripin' it this afternoon

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.