Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
engine leak ? (Read 7 times)
grim

San Jose,CA
engine leak ?
03/28/07 at 20:23:39

Anyone ever have a leak down the center of the engine?  There is no gasket here, just the triple bond stuff.  Just wondering if I should open it just to re-seal it.  I have the engine off but I don't want to do it if you all have had no problems with it....Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: engine leak ?
Reply #1 - 03/28/07 at 22:29:43

I seriously don't like oil leaks. Not so much because it's not Purrty, but because we only have a couple O quarts. What if it gets worse? I have never seen one heal up, they only get worse. How hard will it be to go back & fix it? How hard will it be if you have to do it after it's all back together? I think the answers to the last 2 questions will help you decide.

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #2 - 03/29/07 at 20:14:08

For crankcase disassembly (getting to the seal down the center), did you guys have to use a Flywheel Holder?  Thanks guys

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 03/30/07 at 02:03:26

grim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
For crankcase disassembly (getting to the seal down the center), did you guys have to use a Flywheel Holder?  Thanks guys

My (now) spare engine has several leaking spots from the center liquid gasket. I'm planning to split the case without touching the LH side of the engine. Have removed the RH side parts, clutch, primairy gearnut( LH thread), oilpumpgear etc. From the LH side I only removed the cover.
Now I need to make up a support to put the engine on its LH side and remove the RH crankcase half.
If you want to remove the parts on the LH side you need a puller to remove the rotor and as you said a holder for the flywheel.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/30/07 at 05:07:52

Anyone ever have a leak down the center of the engine?  There is no gasket here, just the triple bond stuff.  Just wondering if I should open it just to re-seal it.  I have the engine off but I don't want to do it if you all have had no problems with it....Thanks

While you are on this question... Doe's triple bond have to be used or can I use a good silicone?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/01/07 at 06:54:45

I'm trying to understand what the "center of the engine" is.  Is that along the crankcase halves?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #6 - 04/01/07 at 08:47:47

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I'm trying to understand what the "center of the engine" is.  Is that along the crankcase halves?

Yes, where the crankcase splits and has NO gasket!!! Embarrassed

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/01/07 at 10:58:06

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yes, where the crankcase splits and has NO gasket!!! Embarrassed

Funny.  When I've had the engine out, I noticed a little oil leaking from the lower engine mount holes.  I wondered if it came from the crankcase halves.  Better yet, I noticed that no oil leaked when the engine is installed with bolts tightened in place.  

Hmmm...

IP Logged
wicks
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Milwaukee
Reply #8 - 04/02/07 at 14:31:19

I just took my 2001 LS650 in to fix this leak...
They replaced the head gasket, I drove about 5 miles and the same leak occured.
There is a thread regarding a plug seal/cap of some sort. Most likely the problem.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #9 - 04/02/07 at 16:54:58

wicks wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
There is a thread regarding a plug seal/cap of some sort. Most likely the problem.

The head gasket or plug cap leak will show up on the top of the motor, usualy on the cooling fins. The leak down tthe center of the motor on bottom is the crankcase halves. I have a 06 and it leaks a drop or two a day just setting in my living room, even if it hasn't been started for a month or two. Im' kind of use to oil leaks after all the British bikes and Harley's I've owned. It is aggravating with a bike that only has 2900 miles though.    Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #10 - 04/03/07 at 03:57:55

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Funny.  When I've had the engine out, I noticed a little oil leaking from the lower engine mount holes.  I wondered if it came from the crankcase halves.  Better yet, I noticed that no oil leaked when the engine is installed with bolts tightened in place.  

Hmmm...

I had the attachment of the brake cable ( below the oilsightglass) covered in oil. After removing the engine I saw that the oil was comming out-off the fwd engine mounting hole. There had been a slight seepage at the back of the engine also. Will split the case and redo the sealing.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 04/03/07 at 04:58:31

wicks wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:

This is not the plug/cap or head gasket.  I am well aware of that one.  It is the dealerships that aren't, and so you got a new head gasket that you didn't need Grin

The drip I noted is at the crankcase split and from the engine mounting holes when the engine is out of the bike.  When the engine was reinstalled, it stopped.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 04/03/07 at 05:11:05

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I had the attachment of the brake cable ( below the oilsightglass) covered in oil. After removing the engine I saw that the oil was comming out-off the fwd engine mounting hole. There had been a slight seepage at the back of the engine also. Will split the case and redo the sealing.

That's kinda what I was talking about, but mine stopped after the engine mount bolts were tightened in the frame.

Normally that slight leak might not be noticed, when working on an engine on a bench.

IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/03/07 at 17:36:42

Crusher0964 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
While you are on this question... Doe's triple bond have to be used or can I use a good silicone?

How about the triple bond? Where can I get it please? ???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:22:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine leak ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.