Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brake problems (Read 0 times)
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Brake problems
03/28/07 at 15:52:24

Hey guys I recently had to remove the the brake caliper. I drained the fluid,went to put everything back together and I have no pressure at all. Very little fluid coming out of the bleeder valve. I am thinking it may be the the MC but not sure what do you guys think I should do. do you guys think a bleeder kit would help with the problem.  Thanks

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Brake problems
Reply #1 - 03/28/07 at 15:58:05

did the brake fluid level in the MC drop too low (i.e. below the small hole at the bottom of the resevoir)?   If so, you need to bleed the brakes (you prolly do anyway).

In my opinion, brake bleeding kits only help to draw most of the brake fluid down tot he caliper, but not in removing air from the lines...

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #2 - 03/28/07 at 16:39:43

Yea I had all the fluid out of everything

I have tried to bleed the brakes. but the problem is there is still not pressure

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 03/28/07 at 16:49:02

okay... you drained all the brake fluid?

close up the bleed valve at the caliper.  open the MC and have a bottle of brake fluid handy...  make sure the union bolts are are on there good and tight (not over tight, of course).  start pumping the brake lever.  you should occasionally see air bubbles coming up from the bottom of the MC.  Keep doing this.  for a long time.  you will not get any pressure for quite a while.  Whenever the MC gets low, add more fluid.  DO NOT let the level of fluid go down to the little hole...  after a while, the air bubbles will stop coming up... now you can bleed the brake at the caliper.  You can leave the bleed valve at the caliper closed b/c as you actuate the brake lever, it will force brake fluid down there and the air bubles, being less dense, will rise.  It MAY be quicker to leave the blled valve open and just keep pouring brake fluid intot he MC and ground (i.e. out the bleed valve), but most likely air will keep slipping in through the valve....

ALSO, you are using eitehr DOT4 or 3 bake fluid, right?  Not 5?  5 will eat the brake lines, I think.  Also, don't mix the different spec fluids...  If you've done this, you need to flush the whole system...

sice you've taken all the fluid out of the lines, a mighty vac kit would definitely be a time save instead of just pumping away at the lever...

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/28/07 at 20:22:34

Re last entry - I seem to recall others posting on site found might vac kit not good/did  not work to bleed brakes - clarification, anyone?

I used the old tube on the bleed valve going into a jar of fluid way when changing fluid/bleeding brakes & it worked fine.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/28/07 at 21:20:18

i found speed bleeders on ebay.  they replace the stock bleeders.  they have teflon coating on threads, and a spring loaded ball check valve.  when loose, the check valve works, when tite, the bleeder is shut off just like the stock bleeders.  I have all my parts now and will give it a try soon.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 03/29/07 at 00:14:37

I have a migthy vac kit... I only like it for pulling fluid down to the caliper, not for bleeding (i.e. getting the last bit of air out)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 03/29/07 at 05:18:33

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I have a migthy vac kit... I only like it for pulling fluid down to the caliper, not for bleeding (i.e. getting the last bit of air out)

I thought it pulled the fluid way too fast for the amount in this bike.  It'll dang sure drain it quick when you're changing the brake line though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 03/29/07 at 06:52:18

picked up a big syringe(2 oz) from the drug store for fifty cents - the hose that I use on the bleeder fits over the end - works real fine to pull the initial fluid down the line and keep a little vac on it during bleeding

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 03/29/07 at 09:51:52

Yeah, they have a kit like that for about $2 at Harbor Freight.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 03/30/07 at 02:05:23

I use a big syringe, a piece of plastic pipe and a bit of small bore aluminium tube for setting fork oil level.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:20:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.