Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turn Signal (Read 7 times)
manoli
Ex Member

Turn Signal
03/28/07 at 04:59:46

Hey everyone.
I am trying to bring an 86 back to life, and like many of you, I've spent alot of time trying to straighten out turn signal malfunctions. I finally got the front ones corrected, but the signal itself is slow. Could it need a new switch?
Also; I have to apply alot of pressure on both brakes to get the stop lamp lit up. Any suggestions?
Than You,
Manoli

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Turn Signal
Reply #1 - 03/28/07 at 07:07:09

Appling brakes in either the front or the back should lite up the brake light with ease.  Short the terminals on either switch and you should get the same indication as applying the associated brake.  If not, bad switch.

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 03/28/07 at 08:34:34

If the blinkers and brake light operation is not normal, make sure your battery is fully charged and has 12.6 OCV. Open circuit voltage with a DVOM, won't work with an old analog or needle type meter. Ottry testing with the chargeron the battery and see if they work normally. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #3 - 03/28/07 at 10:19:28

manoli wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Also; I have to apply alot of pressure on both brakes to get the stop lamp lit up. Any suggestions?
Than You,
Manoli

If you have to use alot of pressure on the brakes it usually is means the switches are just out of adjustment.  I personally have not adjusted or even searched out them on my savage yet but I can tell you what 98% of all other suzuki's have.  On the rear break lever (foot operated one) some where most likely behind the footpeg plate is a small black plug shaped switch with two wires coming out of one end and a plunger coming out of the other end.  A spring attaches that plunger to the break mechinism.  If you don't find it behind the foot peg plate follow the cable back and keep and eye out for it.  once you find it pull on the plunger and see if the brake light operates correctly.  if so it just needs adjustment and you aren't getting enough travel of the brake lever with out using extra pressure you described.

To adjust it is simple. the body usually fits though a bracket and has a nut on it.  Hold the switch and turn the nut so that it is moving the switch body toward the direction of the wires (away from the spring).  this will make the switch activate sooner.

To adjust the front switch look under the hand break lever and you should find a small black retanglar piece of plastic with a screw through each end holding it to the master cyclinder.  Loosen those screws slightly. Just enough to move push the switch (the black retangular piece) away from the lever.   Again this will make it activate sooner.  You may need to move it back and forth a few times to get it right as this one is a little more touchy.  (DO NOT REMOVE THE TWO SCREWS TOTALLY UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO CATCH A PLASTIC PIECE, A COPPER U PIECE, THE HOUSING, AND A SPRING!!)  This is not hard when prepared but I did spend close to an hour once on the floor of a suzuki shop looking for the blasted little spring!

The key is make sure they operate how you want and when you want.  I set mine so they come on with very little brake activation.  At the same time you don't want them stuck on.

Lastly if the hand brake won't work even at full adjustment or is inconsistant then you need to disassemble, clean and reassemble.  (all those little pieces)  This is not hard as long as you take your time and open it slowly so you see where everything is hand don't have any springs going AWOL on you! Wink

Good luck if you have any questions on it let us know! Grin

WWW   IP Logged
manoli
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/29/07 at 05:15:19

Many thanks to Verslagen, Max, and Smokin. I have enough info now to get my hands greasy.
You Guys might be saving me from a rear ender by the caged ones.
Manoli

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:36:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn Signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.