Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help with muffler change (Read 5 times)
BonnieCC
Ex Member

Help with muffler change
03/27/07 at 04:21:58

I am a 50 year old elementary music teacher and have a 2006 S40.  I want to change out the original muffler. It's too high pitched for me.  I don't want something really loud just maybe lower and more rumbly.

I stopped by our local Harley store to just ask some questions about their mufflers and the guy said he would "give" me the 883 muffler because he has them just lying around.  

Do you think this muffler could be used on my S40?
I don't have a lot of extra money so I liked the idea of the free one.  But if that one won't work maybe somebody could suggest another one that won't break the piggybank.

If I do change, what is this jetting I am reading about?\
I don't know what that is.

I have been reading all the posts and have read things about jetting or rejetting to help with this awful backfiring problem I have.  Some on the posts even have said that once the original muffler is changed, the backfiring stops.  

I have an appt. to leave my bike at my dealer next week to work on the squeeky front brakes.  What do you recommend I do on changing my muffler to get a low rumbly sound and help stop the backfiring.

Bonnie

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Help with muffler change
Reply #1 - 03/27/07 at 07:38:15

The later model Harley mufflers have a crossover tube (which connects the two mufflers) and should be avoided. Any Harley muffler will fit on your Savage with just a little work. If you add a freer flowing muffler, you should definately rejet your carb to get more fuel to the engine. You don't want to run too lean - it's not good for your engine.

I think a stock Harley muffler will give you the better sound you are wanting.

IP Logged
Grove_Tucky_650

Ohio - Grove City
Reply #2 - 03/27/07 at 07:46:28

Dynobob is correct. Do not get the one with a crossover tube unless you know someone that can weld it shut. Yes re-jett. If you can find out your sea level and post it someone should be able to tell you what jets would be best for your bike. I think the 1/2 spacer mod would help also. That would be something you would do plus the re-jetting. If I am wrong someone will correct me on that.

IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #3 - 03/27/07 at 08:13:42

Dear BonnieCC:  I too have an 06 s 40 and just recently put on a Harley Sporster muffler and did the rejetting.   I had to search for mine but finally found it from one of those fly by night motorcycle shops--they had one lying around and sold it for cheap.   Go to  Topic: Sportster muff installation  (Read 3995 times) under Technical Documents forum.  That has detailed instructions on how to get the muffler on.  Here is a picture of mine: http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007/03/27/bikepics-843565-full.jpg

It sounds deeper and is only a bit louder.  It didn't run very well until I did the carb modifications but ran ok with just the spacer modification.  I bought the dynojet rejetting kit b.c. it has all the intructions there and did that and now it runs awesome, no backfiring, and cruises at speeds more than acceptable for interstate and highway use.

Do you want to do the mods yourself or get your mechanic to do them?  They do take a lot of work (finding the right parts too) and concentration but I really enjoyed them.  I also must say there is some risk involved, in that its possible to get yourself into some problems and then you have to think how to solve them. The carb parts are small and delicate and require care in getting them off (those pesky brass screws) and on again.  My wife and 3 year old got a bit annoyed with all the time I spent with the bike but now it is a far superior machine and I am much happier with it--you realize how inferior the stock one really is.  I am saying this as a Newbie who never worked on a motorcycle before getting my s-40 Savage and its great to be able to work on it as well as ride it.

I think that the white spacer modification solves the backfiring for the most part but  you also might have to adjust the fuel/air screw (involves drilling out a plug) a bit to get it just right.  The main jet is underneath the carb (that took me a while to figure out) but you get to the white spacer from the top.

Thanks to the guys on this website for their great advice and instructions.  I am sure the future will bring me back asking for help!    

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #4 - 03/27/07 at 09:06:09

I put on a harley muffler and turned out  the mixture screw one half turn. It smothed out the power band and got rid of almost all the back fire.

I have all the stuff for the carb mods but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I remember someone on the board saying the difference between the stock and harley muffler probably isn't enough to hurt things much?

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #5 - 03/27/07 at 09:47:37

I recently put a Harley Dyna muffler on my '06 S40. A friend of mine bought a brand new Dyna and had Screaming Eagle mufflers put on it before he even picked it up. The Dyna mufflers had no crossover pipe to deal with. If your dealer has 883 mufflers he probably will have Dyna mufflers. Basically a bolt on fit. I have tried mine without the factory muffler to head pipe gasket but I can not keep it sealed tight. Next rainy Saturday it's coming back off. I was in to big a hurry to take the 30 minutes to do it right the first time. You can take it to an AutoZone, or if your dealer does the work, use the loaner pipe expander tool to expand the muffler connection enough to be able to get the headpipe, gasket and muffler hooked together. I recommend the Harley muffler clamps. They are wider and stronger than the factory clamp and look better than an automotive type clamp. You will read in the post here on the muffler mods that an extension is needed to keep the exhaust off the rear brake rod. I accidentally bent the muffler bracket and realized how soft it was. I mounted the muffler to the headpipe, hooked the headpipe to the exhaust port and torqued it, made the final adjustments to the muffler to get the mount bolts lined up with the bracket, and then bent the bracket to fit. You will love the sound, slightly louder but with a deeper tone.  Did the carb mods at the same time with a K&N drop in filter. I am still getting 60 MPG commuting 30 miles each way to work. Sorry for the rambling on but when I get started I can't stop. This forum has been an outstanding source of info. I am a returning rider after 25 + years (didn't ride much then). Good luck and enjoy your ride.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 03/27/07 at 12:14:21

Holodeck wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I remember someone on the board saying the difference between the stock and harley muffler probably isn't enough to hurt things much?

I'd agree with that, but you should rejet eventually. The factory jetting is way too lean.

IP Logged
Grove_Tucky_650

Ohio - Grove City
Reply #7 - 03/27/07 at 12:33:42

Holodeck wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I remember someone on the board saying the difference between the stock and harley muffler probably isn't enough to hurt things much?

Much? Any would not be good. A rejet will be better.

IP Logged
BonnieCC
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/27/07 at 15:53:17

I live at 100 feet above sea level.  So if anyone knows about rejetting settings, I would be grateful.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 03/27/07 at 22:11:12

Hi Bonnie
Welcome to the site.

Go back about 5 pages and find "Question on Exhaust Modification"

I installed a rail mount HD turnout on my 96 and have only adjusted the idle mix screw. (under the brass plug on rt side of carb) There are some pics of several muffler conversions including mine. No more shotgun blast backfires, sometimes a little popping on shifts and only an occasional "Chuff" type sound when turning off the engine. It's not REAL loud, but I have heard occasional car alarms going off as I pass by.

BTW I'm 60 yr old Musician/Vacuum Tube Amp Technician

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
BonnieCC
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/28/07 at 03:58:17

Hey Smokey,
Great bike.  I know you have enjoyed it.  I think I will get the dealer to put an 883 HD muffler on mine, tweak the white spacer, and rejet it. (Don't be impressed, I have no idea what this means-I've been reading alot)

Hopefully it will all work on in the end with no more backfires.
Happy trails to you fellow musician.
Bonnie

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #11 - 03/28/07 at 13:47:44

Thanks Bonnie
Good to meet fellow musicians.
Yes, I really love my 96, commute every day, joy ride on weekends too.
I did pick up some jets and got a few from Lancer too, will try to experiment, but I hate to take it apart if there is a chance to ride instead.

Happy Trails Bonnie
p.s. check out my Irish band (see site at bottom of this post)

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 03/29/07 at 05:09:22

Welcome to the site Bonnie.  The Sportster "takeoff"mufflers have been used by a number of folks.  Some like them and some don't.  Everyone has their own tastes.  In any case, someone should be able to share their experience.  There are also a number of posts where folks have already shared their experiences with them.  It may take a few searches but the info is there.  Remember to set the number of days you want to search to something like 800 and try several word combinations.  Keep the shiny side up!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
BonnieCC
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/29/07 at 14:13:23

Thanks Rob. I will try the searches.  I have already found great advice.  The knowledge base here is incredible.  
Bonnie

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #14 - 03/29/07 at 17:37:08

the gulf of mexico is in my back yard. check my sig line for my mods.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:35:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with muffler change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.