Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
messing around with the seat... (Read 14 times)
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

On the road soon, I hope.
messing around with the seat...
03/26/07 at 08:27:18

man, that was too easy.  i took the seat off, and with a bread knife and sandpaper- as i've seen suggested on here, i sliced off some foam and smoothed it out making it a bit more ergonomic than it was before and so i'm not sitting almost on the pillion.  i also put some tempurpedic foam on the pillion for my wife.  stapled everything back together with no problem.  the whole procedure was a piece of cake, mainly because of the stuff i've read on here.  rode some last week, this weekend and getting out again today.  fixin up the seat made a world of difference.  mods made easy thanks to this forum, thanks everyone.

Black 2006 Savage40, no mods... yet.
WWW   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Re: messing around with the seat...
Reply #1 - 03/26/07 at 13:16:19

Sounds like what I need to do!! Keep finding myself wanting to be a few inches further back. Budget's been tight with buying a new house and of course having to "make it ours". Hadn't tried to squeeze the little bit out for a sportster seat. Reading the forum, some guys talk like the s40 seat is closer to the sportster seat than a Savage/LS650 seat. Mine is an '06 also. How much and where did you trim out?? How did the cover go back on?? Any sags or wrinkle's?? I am not afraid of trying anything, just want it to look decent when I am done and of course do what I wanted it to do!! Thanks for any feedback you could give!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 03/26/07 at 15:42:05

some pics too please.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 03/26/07 at 16:34:06

I'm thinking of doing that to the sportster seat I bought.  I love the shape of the sporty seat, but it still sits too far forward.  I'm going to shave the butt shape down to see if I can get a few inches movement back.  Anyone else mod a sporty seat pad??

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 03/26/07 at 16:46:21

whats the diff between tempurpedic foam and gel padding ?

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #5 - 03/26/07 at 18:00:55

Thats what I need to do. Where did you find the info on this site because I did a search and couldn't find anything about shaving the foam on the stock seat ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #6 - 03/26/07 at 19:30:16

I'm in the middle of building a flat tracker type seat/rear fender assemlpy for my savage, plan on padding it with some memory foam packed down a little under some vinyl.  It's gonna raise the seat height and should look slicker 'n owl sheeit!  Pics and a review of the comfort will be posted as soon as i get a few miles and a paint job on it.

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 03/26/07 at 19:39:48

grandpa wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Sounds like what I need to do!! Keep finding myself wanting to be a few inches further back. Budget's been tight with buying a new house and of course having to "make it ours". Hadn't tried to squeeze the little bit out for a sportster seat. Reading the forum, some guys talk like the s40 seat is closer to the sportster seat than a Savage/LS650 seat. Mine is an '06 also. How much and where did you trim out?? How did the cover go back on?? Any sags or wrinkle's?? I am not afraid of trying anything, just want it to look decent when I am done and of course do what I wanted it to do!! Thanks for any feedback you could give!!

I replaced my ls seat with an s40 seat and it made a world of difference. I was always looking for that extra inch and the s40 seat had it.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

Reply #8 - 03/27/07 at 09:22:49

grandpa wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Mine is an '06 also. How much and where did you trim out?? How did the cover go back on?? Any sags or wrinkle's?? I am not afraid of trying anything, just want it to look decent when I am done and of course do what I wanted it to do!! Thanks for any feedback you could give!!

i basically scooped out a butt shape from where the back part of the grab strap is and shaped it down into the rest of the seat.  essentially the same shape but scooped it back about two inches.  i sprayed a little 3M adhesive spray on the part i scooped just to make sure it stayed down, but it seemed like i didn't need it once i pulled the vinyl down tight and stapled it.  the only problem, if you wanna call it that, that i encountered was that the vinyl didn't, at first, seem like it was gonna sit on the scooped part right once i stuffed the tempurpedic foam on the pillion.  but, like i said, once i pulled it down tight it worked just fine.  looking at it more in the sunlight i can see some lumps that i missed... so that's another point: have good lighting.

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
whats the diff between tempurpedic foam and gel padding ?

tempurpedic foam is this memory foam kinda stuff that they use for beds and pillows.  i chopped up a pillow.  it was really hard to cut though.  in hindsight, i probably should have just used gel, but we'll see how it works out for the next couple weeks.  i might tear it apart again and replace with gel.  we'll see.

i'll see if i can't get some pics up here today.  i've been lazy.

WWW   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 03/27/07 at 15:42:31

So, i've gotten a spare driver and passenger seat to experiment with.
what i was considering was shaving maybe a half inch off of the back top of the drivers seat then shaving the front top of the passenger seat to match. also wanted to add foam to the sides of the passenger seat so that it's more rounded. my better half complains that the square shape/piping is uncomfortable.

did you do something like this ?
have you ridden much since you messed with the seat ? hows it feel ?

IP Logged
fsmooth
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Glendale, AZ
Reply #10 - 03/27/07 at 15:57:51

Sorry deleted my post and thought I would post on this topic.   I have an 87 and saw that someone used a Boulevard S40 seat.  Were any modifications needed or it just simply works as is?

IP Logged
EntropyofMe

Deuces neva loses!

Reply #11 - 03/28/07 at 08:16:23

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
So, i've gotten a spare driver and passenger seat to experiment with.
what i was considering was shaving maybe a half inch off of the back top of the drivers seat then shaving the front top of the passenger seat to match. also wanted to add foam to the sides of the passenger seat so that it's more rounded. my better half complains that the square shape/piping is uncomfortable.

did you do something like this ?
have you ridden much since you messed with the seat ? hows it feel ?

it feels much better to me.  i took a fair amount of foam off, it was all over the living room floor, lol!  my wife says the same thing about the pillion, but i didn't know if the vinyl would sit back down if i put more on the sides.  wouldn't hurt to try, and if i take it apart again, i might do that.  it's great that you have a spare to play with.  you could always buy some new vinyl or leather for it and put as much foam on there as you want.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:21:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › messing around with the seat...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.