Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will Only Start Cold (Read 1 times)
melllvar
YaBB Newbies

Central FL
Will Only Start Cold
03/25/07 at 12:12:13

I bought a 2001 Savage a couple of months ago.  It was running fine, but a couple of weeks ago I flooded it and couldn't get it to start again.

After a new plug, air filter (the old one had varnished gas splatters on it) and a battery recharge or two - it will start.  BUT it dies after it's warned up when it goes to idle.  The oddest part is it wont start again until it's cooled back down.

I'm never messed with carbs before.  I've adjusted the idle a few times, but other than shooting carb cleaner in there - I have no idea what else to do.  Any ideas?

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: Will Only Start Cold
Reply #1 - 03/25/07 at 17:55:03

repost this in the rubber down, and you'll get more hits.
The mods will prob move it soon though anyway.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Bri_Fri
YaBB Newbies

Young Gun

Homer, Alaska
Reply #2 - 03/26/07 at 01:06:07

I had a similar problem with another engine. I found that it was the choke valve closing because of the vibration.  Undecided

IP Logged
melllvar
YaBB Newbies

Central FL
Reply #3 - 03/26/07 at 05:56:35

I doubt the choke valve is stuck because if I pull the choke it stalls immediately.   ???

IP Logged
melllvar
YaBB Newbies

Central FL
Re:  Will Only Start Cold
Reply #4 - 03/26/07 at 06:01:42

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
repost this in the rubber down, and you'll get more hits.
The mods will prob move it soon though anyway.

Yeah, they moved it this morning.  My apologies, first post and all.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 03/26/07 at 06:22:46

melllvar wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I bought a 2001 Savage a couple of months ago.  It was running fine, but a couple of weeks ago I flooded it and couldn't get it to start again.

How did you flood it?
Quote:
After a new plug, air filter (the old one had varnished gas splatters on it) and a battery recharge or two - it will start.

varnished gas on the air filter?
Quote:
BUT it dies after it's warned up when it goes to idle.  The oddest part is it wont start again until it's cooled back down.

during this time of too warm to start - you do have spark at the plug? and check the battery before you try to start it after the charger has been off of it for awhile (say over night) to give the float time to bleed off it must be above 12.4 for reliable starts, at or below this voltage the engine will crank but the ign will not function proper
Quote:
I'm never messed with carbs before.  I've adjusted the idle a few times, but other than shooting carb cleaner in there - I have no idea what else to do.  Any ideas?

the tank has fresh clean fuel right?
you might run a little sea foam through it - do you think the bike had been setting a long time before you got it?
if your sure and really be sure about the battery - might be time to pull the carb and clean it up.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/26/07 at 09:37:53

Sounds like a flooding situation.  I'd check the vacuum line from the pethingy to the carb for  gas.  If that's not it check for a stuck float.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:19:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will Only Start Cold

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.