Re: Broken Crankcase (Read 3 times)
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Broken Crankcase
03/26/07 at 06:37:43

it depends on how you want to go about doing it. a replacement engine can be had from ebay for around $500, if you do the engine swap yourself, you're still in pretty good shape. if you buy new parts from the stealership and pay a mechanic to do the work, you're probably spending more than its worth. get your calculator out and do some shopping.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #1 - 03/26/07 at 07:27:55

Just learn to fix it.  buy the manual.  Ask us.  invest in some tools.  don't let anyone else touch your bike.  you're going to have to do maint. on it, fix plug leaks, check valves, tune carbs......if you keep running to a mech, you will have no mo money......if you replace the engine yourself....just think....you have a brand new bike....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/26/07 at 08:11:32

I wonder Why it chucked it's guts thru the case. Did you get any noises prior? Was it vibrating like mad?

I dunno if they still have it but there was a couple in the forum gonna let me have an engine needing a cam chain for LOW $$. He may have already stuck the chain in it or if not & you want him I am sure he would. They were very nice to visit with & the most trustworthy type. I had sent them the $$ & for personal reasons was forced to ask for it back. They had already deposited the check, but went & bought a money order & sent me my $$ & didn't even deduct the price of the money order.

If that doesn't work for ya, here's a junkyard's #

800-334-4045

I don't know if you can change a spark plug on a lawnmower but I will say messing with this bike is really easy. The $$ saved on every project will easily pay for the tools if you decide to walk off into it. Sears is having a great sale right now. For $200.00 you can have enough tools to do about anythiing on this bike. Grab the catalogue in the tool dept & just TRY to get thru it in a hour. They have so many tool sets offered I only got a couple of pages in 20 minutes, comparing the options.They have a Beam type torque wrench for $25.00, lifetime warranty, From the sound off things, you will be forced to learn to work on it, or call it totalled. The beauty of working on stuff that falls in this catagory is, you can't mess up. It's already as bad as it can get.
If you get an engine, just remember to take your time. Treat each part that comes off as if it is a piece of a puzzle & place it with the bolts that hold it on. When I can I put bolts & nuts back in parts so the bolts will be right where they belong & I don't haveto remember. Cardboard with a drawing of an area with holes for bolts makes it easy, too. Sure , it's slow, but nothing is slower than trying to find something. I didn't always do this, I used to be able to remember. I changed the frames on 2 Ford pickups & just had 3 coffee cans with bolts tossed in. One for the front, one for the cab & one for the rear. I wouldnt dare try that today.

With a manual & this forum & patience you can do about anything. Ohh, & tools, but they are free if you do the work yourself.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 03/26/07 at 08:18:31

As that is only the 3nd time for that failure that I can remember on this and the previous German Savage site, I wonder what causes it. Hopefully the other casuality will check in and maybe add some information to help prevent a 3rd occcurance. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/26/07 at 12:50:33

How loud of a clunk was it? Was it a "did I just hear something?" Or "Aww MAN What was Thayut?" I ask so I can put this in my mental notes. I would rather call for a tow than be hunting an engine..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/27/07 at 05:26:36

Thanks, very sorry for your loss. I hope you grab some tools & do an autopsy. You will be surprsied at the mechanic skills you can gain just taking something apart.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/05/07 at 05:52:12

I bought Torque's bike a couple of years back as a parts bike after his did the same thing.
Yours is just the 2nd one I have heard of.  Did someone else say 3?
The cases and parts from inside were torn all up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:23:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Broken Crankcase

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.