Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seperating crank (Read 3 times)
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Seperating crank
03/25/07 at 17:51:10

I want to replace my connecting rod so.............
I have tried the puller I have... a 2 jaw puller and used a little heat on the counter weight but no luck. How can a cheap ba.....erd seperated the two crank halves without buying a puller? Tongue

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Seperating crank
Reply #1 - 03/25/07 at 18:56:54

One you successfully separated it and replaced the rod, it needs to be pressed back together and the 2 main bearning journals aligned and the con rod side play adjusted. I believe this is a job best left to those with the proper equipment and experience. An error here can be costly. Max at Thumper Acres, home of the 4 stroke single cylinder motorcycle.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/25/07 at 23:20:01

There are a few places where pennies can be pinched so hard they bruise & wind up costing more than was saved. This looks like a great place to spend a lot more than was saved.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #3 - 03/26/07 at 03:33:52

Crusher,
all good replies so far.  Press together cranks are just that. Press together and press apart so usually most dealers/shops will have a 20 ton hydraulic press to press out the pin.  Then pressing back together is more tricky than apart.  Once the pin is in and close it needs to be put on a truing stand that has dial indicators to make sure the runout is below the max spec and that both lobes of the crank line up so their center (main crank journal) lines up.  Otherwise it will be disaster upon re-assembly into your engine.

Good luck,

WWW   IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/26/07 at 04:53:37

Thanks for your advice and precautions. I will have a trained tech do this for me. Provided I can remove the left side flywheel.
Any advise there for a puller? ???

Yes I am cheap. Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/26/07 at 07:07:23

You can save a ton & just get one puller for your shop. An oxy/acetylene torch is well known as the "Universal Puller" , tho it has a reputation for being hard on at least half of the parts separated.

Sorry, just got the worst need to be a smartalleck today.. It's okay if you use a different word, I understand.

IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/26/07 at 13:25:44

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
You can save a ton & just get one puller for your shop. An oxy/acetylene torch is well known as the "Universal Puller" , tho it has a reputation for being hard on at least half of the parts separated.

Sorry, just got the worst need to be a smartalleck today.. It's okay if you use a different word, I understand.

I am familiar with the torch. We call it a red wrench down here.  Grin

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/27/07 at 12:57:13

Crusher0964 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Any advise there for a puller? ??

pit posse $38 may be less to you I think that was with shipping to UK.

allan.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:27:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seperating crank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.