Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
oil change link (Read 12 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: oi change link
Reply #15 - 03/26/07 at 02:46:17

I have a magnetic oil plug as well, and I get a relatively thick coating of very very fine metalic sludge every time I pull it out to change the oil.

Where do all the wear particles coming from?    Anybody know the primary location/sources for the iron/steel wear particles?  I'm interested in the Savage expert tear-down guys opinions.

I'd <guess> at the transmission as the souce for my cycle as there was one tiny discrete chunk of steel that looked a bit like the corner of an engagement dog on a slider gear.  

From tearing down bikes in the past the slider/fork groove junction and the dog edges/faces on the tranny slider gears wear out pretty good as does the side edges of the clutch basket (where the plates notch into the basket during engagement).

What other wear sources have you tear-down experts seen on the Savage motors?

Magnetic oil plugs are a good thing IMHO.  I have seen postiing of people attaching magnetic strip materials to the Emco filter recess to trap additional iron/steel particles and I may pursue that thought at my next oil change.  Trapping ALL that solid metal crap has got to be a good thing.  Shame we can't trap the aluminum bits as well.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/26/07 at 03:08:17

I can see th cam chain as one reasonably dependable source of fine metal stuff.

I have done a post mortem on an oil filter & found an unsettling amount of pieces of metal, Shiny stuff. I will continue to do this, but on the next change, there will be a magnetic plug added. Thanks for the tip,

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/26/07 at 12:16:27

does Ron Ayers carry a magnetic oil drain plug does anyone know? (am buying stuff ex there soi could tag it on order to save shipping).

if so, where was it on R Ayers site?

alternatively, does anyone recall where they got their one, please?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: oil change link
Reply #18 - 03/26/07 at 14:04:02

it's been listed before

http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/26/07 at 17:19:27

thanks verslagen1 - will order after dinner & put on @ next oil change.

george Smiley

IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #20 - 03/27/07 at 18:10:54

I ordered mine today and will   wait for it to come in before I do my oil change.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #21 - 04/03/07 at 17:40:45

I need my first oil change yesterday. Only problem guy at the shop gave me the wrong filter, so had to go back, and swap it. How often do most of you change the oil, do you follow the 600, 4000, 7500,11000,14500 or do you do it more often, I did the first service at 650 at the stealership, but did this oil change at 2400 and changed the filter and put on the magnetic oil plug. Going to order my next filtes on line about 1/2 the cost and don't have to drive to get it.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #22 - 04/03/07 at 19:48:46

Bowdier  I think oil change is sorta based on riding conditions..live in Texas and other hot climes..fairly often @3000. miles?   Up here in the north, I am comfortable with 4-5000. miles (of course, we are talking dino juice, not synthetic).  Given I 'm lucky to get 3K a year on the bike, that translates to early Summer each riding season for me.  ps, there are more oil threads on motorcycle forums than anything wlse,,search all over for interesting thoughts.  As for magnetic drain plugs..I'd rather get a hot fudge sunday- wont last as long but I suspect it'll do me more good. Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 04/04/07 at 05:30:25

There are definitely a number of factors to consider.  I use full synthetic but still change it about every 1500-2000 miles.  It's my opinion that a good lube will extend the life of the engine.  Part of the reason is that air-cooled engines are hot enough without adding hot weather and in-city riding.  Thermal viscosity breakdown is almost certainly hastened by Texas summers.  Also, I use a K&N air filter that allows better airflow than a paper filter but also allows a bit more particulates through.  This will allow the oil to become dirty sooner, especially since I ride in a high smog city.  In fact, the amount of crud in my air filter and oil when I clean it is giving me pause to search out a decent filter mask for in-city riding.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/04/07 at 17:18:23

I'm anal & so aware of super hot conditions in the area I live, the relatively small size of the filter & the inhereant problems with aircooling I change my oil every 1,000 miles.

it is only 2 quarts of oil & oil is to me a lot cheaper than a screwed up overheated worn out engine!

IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #25 - 04/04/07 at 17:25:25

thats about what I was thinking, about evey 2000-3000, oil and a fiter are cheap and it only takes a few minutes.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #26 - 04/04/07 at 18:42:51

As a side topic, much like some Guzzi's, does anyone think we could increase the volume of oil easily- other than of course with the oil cooler mod.  Although I don't change the oil often, as New England temps and stock filters don't threaten the engine much (I hope); an increase in oil volume would be reassuring..

IP Logged
tank_you_jeebus
2005 No Login

Redmond Washington
Reply #27 - 04/05/07 at 22:37:13

For the Seattle area do we go 10W30?  I have some slow seepage from the engine and was thinking if I change the grade perhaps the leak will stop?

WWW   IP Logged
Roadrunner17
YaBB Newbies

We are men of
action.  Lies
do not become us.

VA Chesapeake
Reply #28 - 04/06/07 at 06:03:42

Most of the recommendations I've heard call for 20W50, perhaps for that reason.  Try the change & see if that helps.

I've already changed my oil, but didn't change the filter.  The reason?  It seems that everywhere I go to get the size filter for my 06 will list filters up to either 02 or 03, sometimes 04, never any newer.

Can anyone get me the spec for the 06 filter, or has it changed from earlier years?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #29 - 04/06/07 at 08:26:18

Roadrunner17 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
 It seems that everywhere I go to get the size filter for my 06 will list filters up to either 02 or 03, sometimes 04, never any newer.

Can anyone get me the spec for the 06 filter, or has it changed from earlier years?

All year filters are the same!

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:24:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil change link

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.