Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
oil change link (Read 12 times)
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
oil change link
03/24/07 at 15:34:56

can anyone link me or tell me how to look up how to do an oil change, at the 2500 change and would like to do it myself instead of going to the dealership. also do you need to change the oil filter every time. Thanks

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: oi change link
Reply #1 - 03/24/07 at 17:21:34

I know I was a nuub once, so here you go.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099572561

try a search first next time.

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/07 at 19:00:36

think my Clymers said to replace small rubber washer behind filter every time you replace the filter - I check it but think it is in good condition each time so never have.

I know others don't change filter each time - personally I do as I think it is a tiny little bugger & doesn't cost thousands so won't hurt to replace it to keep oil/engine in better condition.

incidently - I only bought the first filter I changed from Suzi dealer in town then bought a bunch of them (Emco brand I think) ex Bike bandit - others use Ron Ayers - when I bought other bits'n'pieces - save a lot as each is cheaper than oem & been led to believe the oem one is the same as ones I bought.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 03/24/07 at 19:12:58

I have Emco's as well.  $2-3 a filter is a whole lot better than $8  Grin  

Particularly when it's just a paper filter with no anti-drainback valve, or high-pressure bypass, etc.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #4 - 03/24/07 at 19:22:18

thanks for the info, I tried a search but don't know if I did it right, typed in oil change under search but really didn't get anything.  Having a ball with the savage, it gets a lot of looks when I show up with the Harleys, it is a fun bike.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #5 - 03/24/07 at 19:25:46

hey what tool is that they are taking the filter cover off with.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 03/24/07 at 19:46:57

Allen wrench.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 03/24/07 at 19:58:03

Can't remember what size, mine doesn't have any markings on it.  Just get a metric muli-set and you'll be good to go.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/24/07 at 21:05:52

Sorry Bowdier, didn't mean to jump on you like that.  I'm not a morning person until a cup of coffee, a donut and a ride.  Or a donut while riding then a cup coffee, either way I'm good.

Yeah, the shearch engine sucks.  I found it by reading thru every page on this site.  So when you asked I knew where it was.  One trick is to set the date filter to way back.  Some of the simple things were posted soon after Gore invented the internet.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/24/07 at 21:51:57

if you can't find it via search it is easy to find it by going  through pages (there are only 4 of them) on tech part of site - how I find stuff there, Bowdier. incidently - think I recall some saying they don't even have a small rubber gasket behind filter & things are OK. my thought is if as it is there it must serve a purpose so always ensure I put mine back in place. good luck with oil change - it is not too difficult @ all & saves paying for dealer to do it (plus you know the oil is nicely hot so is more likely to drain out fully)!

IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #10 - 03/25/07 at 04:50:39

thanks for the info, I 've never had my on bike before so I'm exicted about doing my on oil change, it make me look like a real biker dude. Should of looked on teh tech link but was under this on, love the pics. thanks again.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 03/25/07 at 06:12:27

Just curious-bowdier- that oi is aussie for oil isn't it. Grin Grin  Enjoy the bike, we all do.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 03/25/07 at 08:57:43

the drain plug points to the kick stand, after all is drained remove oil filter cover and filter,put a rag under the cover b4 removing still  lil oil in three..b4 putting in new filter balance bike up right to get remainder from crank case...take your time its not harde and alot cheaper.diy

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #13 - 03/25/07 at 17:33:11

what do you think about a magnetic drain plug, are they worth anything or just for peace of mind,

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #14 - 03/25/07 at 20:21:50

Magnetic drain plugs are great for cycles.  I installed one two changes ago and get lots of iron filing sludge out every time.  I know some of that stuff would make it thru the filter.  And they're cheap!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:28:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil change link

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.