Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gasket or no gasket,, THat is the ?... (Read 8 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Gasket or no gasket,, THat is the ?...
03/24/07 at 14:50:19

The guy at the shop I use can't even find the head cover gasket in his pic of the top end. He says it's no bigeee & just use the liquid gasket maker I had already bought to seal the side gasket. Any reason this location MUST have the gasket & just won't work any other way>??

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: Gasket or no gasket,, THat is the ?...
Reply #1 - 03/24/07 at 14:52:38

THere is no gasket for the head cover. You're supposed to use liquid gasket maker with it. I just did this about 2 days ago works great, just make sure you get all of the contact surfaces on the head, and on the head cover.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/07 at 15:03:31

thanxalott. That makes it a lot easier..
But, now I ask myself, & you folks, too. What gaskets do I need to do the can chain>? I thot there were several involved from what I have read.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #3 - 03/24/07 at 15:07:23

You need a left  and right cover gasket. Thats pretty much it. And you only need the left side gasket if you take that off for the timing marks.  You don't have to but i thought it made it easier.

You can just open the plug in the left side and line up the white dot on the bolt to 3 o'clock.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/24/07 at 15:58:16

I haven't found a clear concise list just yet.
search 3 subjects, Cap/plug leak, fixing plug leak, cam chain. Many good tips in all.

You need the Clutch side cover,
3 rubber lined washer on that cover,
high temp form a gasket (Your choice - Three Bond No 1216, Permatex Red, gray or ultra copper - what ever floats your boat)
head plug cap,
6 bolt gaskets in the head.

I'm only on my 5th reading of the related threads.
I'll be ready when I finish the 10th.

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/24/07 at 18:50:01

not fixed my head plug cap leak yet but from what I understand you might also need, depending on its condition, what has been described as the figure of eight rubber gasket (I think it looks more pear shaped in pictures to me). maybe should buy @ same time as other parts in case you need to replace it. I know others have been able to reuse old one, using dab'o'silcone to hold it in place (see the part on site where I was talking about fixing plug cap leak - think gasket was discussed by others there - like Greg?).

others who have done plug cap leak already can say if need new gasket for sure - me I'm playing safe & getting one - don't want part of bike all in pieces then see I need new gasket & have to wait for new one to be shipped (especially figuring in the cost of shipping). not priced it yet but can't see gasket costing arm & leg.

let us know how it all goes - be good to hear someone else being successful with it all before I tackle mine (call me a scaredy cat!)  Smiley

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
(call meRe: Gasket or no gasket,, THat is the ?...
Reply #6 - 03/24/07 at 19:00:46

Quote:
(call me a scaredy cat!)  

Scaredy cat!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/24/07 at 19:03:50

ho, ho , barry68v10 Smiley

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 03/24/07 at 19:10:13

Hey, I'm just trying help out and do my part, my talents are limited   Smiley

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/24/07 at 21:09:03

So the plug has to be replaced? I popped the side off & reused the washers with the seals, Not replacin those unl;ess they are easy to get. What about the seals for the head bolts, what are they? Arew they okay to reuse? Easy to get? Cheap,like me?

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #10 - 03/24/07 at 21:12:33

I reused all my bolt gaskets. THe plug cap does not have to be replaced. I replaced mine since I had the old one and was in there anyway, it costs about $5. the new one was a tighter fit. You'll know that you have the old one if the plug has a deep cavity in it, whereas the new one is almost flush. I think greg has a post comparing the two somewhere.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/24/07 at 21:33:24

It's an 05 so it's the late model plug. Thanis for the details,Much apreciated.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: (call meRe: Gasket or no gasket,, THat is the
Reply #12 - 03/25/07 at 09:03:17

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Scaredy cat!   Grin

slopeheaded,knuckle dragin, booger eatin moron!!!
love you george Grin

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/25/07 at 14:04:30

not the "love you George" (I know that to be true!) but the "slopeheaded..." part - was that in referal to me or Barry, Lon? If reference to me, you know very well from sitting drinking beer in my garden my head is perfectly formed in every way.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gasket or no gasket,, THat is the ?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.