Send Topic Print
Speedo cable (Read 5 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Speedo cable
03/23/07 at 20:59:59

So, I've got the Harley tank all fitted on the bike. I wanted to keep my stock speedo and lights so I went to the local chain hardware/homeware chain store (after finding that an auto parts store can for the speedo would cost over $40" and found out that the Savage speedometer fits into a 4-1/2" inside diameter PVC pipe coupler piece. So I got the pipe and a second one (slightly domed endcap, same ID) to cut down for a back end cap. Then I took the black trim from around the speedo off of the tank, turned it so the turn signal lights were on the bottom, slipped the speedo through it and then into the pipe itself (with about three layers of duct tape to hold it in there snugly). It will look beautiful when painted the color of choice or with spray-on bedliner.

Now for the question part. I need a speedo cable of around 31" or so to reach the handle bars for mounting it there. The local a$$ of a dealer (who asked me the first time I went in after getting the bike how many cyl. the Savage engine had) told me that an Intruder cable would "probably" work. The honorable dealer 45 miles away said most likely not. Any ideas? I really would rather keep the old one instead of going the digital route. The Intruder cable is the right length, but the friendly dealer said that Suzuki has often changed threads and sizes on the tranie mounts and such. And the non-standard end going into the tranie with it's little tab doesn't help either. Seems there's just got to be a way to extend the old one or find/fabricate one that's longer

And if you're ever in the Mankato, Mn area avoid the local Suzie-Q dealer. He tossed me from the store after the second visit when I still couldn't get him to tell me how much the cable I had ordered (on his word it would work and be stuck with regardless) would cost. "$20, $25 or something" just didn't seem clear enough to me. Said I had an attitude and told me to get out when I asked which was it going to be.

Come on guys. Help me with this one and I'll tell you where the worlds biggest ball of twine is up here in these parts.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Speedo cable
Reply #1 - 03/23/07 at 23:28:59

Go see a machine shop.  Bring the stock cable, too.  They should be able to make anything, but for a price, of course.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Speedo cable
Reply #2 - 03/24/07 at 09:17:57

Look in the yellow pages for speedometer repair or the truck section for speedo calibration services.  Both should have the cable, housing, and ends or the ability to form the ends in theri facilty. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:27:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedo cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.