Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
starter wire getting hot. (Read 2 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
starter wire getting hot.
03/23/07 at 17:17:47

Waiting for the battery to charge, but when I tried to turn it over the positive wire to the solenoid began to over heat. everything works normal, except the wire gets really hot when I try to start it, but not other wise.  Any thoughts?

Almost acts like it's shorting through the starter, but I didn't do anything to the starter.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: starter wire getting hot.
Reply #1 - 03/23/07 at 20:21:05

As I think about it the only thing i changed was i removed the sidestand switch and moved the ground wire. I also rerouted some stuff but that shouldn't cause my problem.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #2 - 03/23/07 at 20:59:58

I think it is hopeless.  You should sell the bike to me and get another one. Grin

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: starter wire getting hot.  after i have b
Reply #3 - 03/23/07 at 21:10:52

I'll let you know tomorrow when i have been working on it all day and still haven't gotten anywhere  Embarrassed

IP Logged
kf6kmx
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/23/07 at 21:24:37

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
As I think about it the only thing i changed was i removed the sidestand switch and moved the ground wire. I also rerouted some stuff but that shouldn't cause my problem.

Double check the ground.
Also, just make sure nothing got pinched off in a bolt or anything.
A friend bought a used KTM with the street kit on it (lights, signals, etc) and it had a weird fuse popping problem... I tracked the wiring on it and found that the previous owner who did the front turn signals had just slightly tagged a wire in the bracket and if you turned the bars a ceratin point it shorted out. but only if turned the right way.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #5 - 03/23/07 at 21:49:51

I just put the side stand switch back in, and moved the ground back to it's original position. Everything functions the way it should. Except the positive cable melts the insulation when I try and start it. I am going to take off the left side cover and recheck the magneto and pickup.

I will recheck all the wires that i rerouted. and I am going to upgrade the ground and positive cables. I am just hoping It's not in the harness.

Would a weak battery and holding the starter on without it cranking cause it to draw to large of a load?

Oh and i had the battery tested and they said it was good, I'll be getting a new one tomorrow if no progress in the am.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #6 - 03/23/07 at 21:50:18

I just read what i wrote man i sound like a moron. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 03/24/07 at 07:04:13

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I just put the side stand switch back in, and moved the ground back to it's original position. Everything functions the way it should. Except the positive cable melts the insulation when I try and start it. I am going to take off the left side cover and recheck the magneto and pickup.

I will recheck all the wires that i rerouted. and I am going to upgrade the ground and positive cables. I am just hoping It's not in the harness.

Would a weak battery and holding the starter on without it cranking cause it to draw to large of a load?

Oh and i had the battery tested and they said it was good, I'll be getting a new one tomorrow if no progress in the am.

Not sure, because I don't know everything you've done, but just remember that you have 2 separate circuits here.

The starter has a control circuit and a power circuit.  They are separated from each other by the use of the relay.  Just the nature of the device.

So, go ahead and remove that sidestand switch if you want.  That just involves turning the relay on, but has nothing to do with the starter power.

Also, don't bother (and save yourself a gasket) with the alternator.  Why would that have anything to do with it?  One part is AC and the other is ignition.  They just charge the battery, and aren't really doing anything during the starting cycle.

Why buy a battery when it starts the engine, and has a lot of power?  If it was tested good?  I never heard of anyone getting a new battery because the old one worked too good.

After all, if you went outside and turned on your garden hose only to have water squirting everywhere, would you call a plumber and get all new piping in your house?

Go back to where the problem is...at the starter cable and starter.  

IP Logged
Jimsey67
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/24/07 at 07:33:28

I'm not sure if you have figured it out yet but....

It is well known that startup current on any electrical motor is considerably higher than when the motor is running. Sometimes as much as 3 times the current draw. Under normal conditions, the brevity of the current spike won't hurt anything. However, pushing the start button - there by providing power to the starter - and having the motor NOT turn will draw lots of current. Possibly enough to melt wiring.

An example. Have you ever noticed the lights dim briefly when the refrigerator starts up? Now imagine what that would be like if the motor in the fridge was stuck and couldn't or wouldn't turn.

Provided the battery is good and there is nothing wrong with the ground and power line, I would check that starter for binding, bad brushes or corrosion.

Just my 2 cents here.

Jimsey

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 03/24/07 at 07:54:16

Jimsey67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Just my 2 cents here.

Jimsey

Might only be 2 cents worth, but those a shiny pennies!

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 03/24/07 at 09:12:19

Yes, applying current to a not turning motor (starter) prevent it from creating counter EMF (electromotive force or voltage) that acts as a current limiter.  If you measure with an OHM meter a starter motor is is essentially a very low resitance path to ground. As soon as it spins it starts the EMF and the current draw goes down. that's why the size of the booster battery doesn't make any difference if the starter is working correctly when jump starting. It is a current limiting device on its own and will only draw as many amps as rated at full RPM. However, have a mechanical problem in the engine and cause it to turn slow and you could have hot wires, melted wiring and a burned out starter.  You had another request about the ground wire. It needs to be resitance free as the amps that leave the battery (using old + to - automotive as a reference not more modern electron theory) has to get back to the opposite plates. Any resistance - corrosion, loose connections small wires for that circuit and load - will decrease the starter RPM and also decrease the ability of the amps to flow. So start by cleaning and tightening all connections from the both battery terminals. If there is a question a vibration proof washer (sometimes called a star washer) under the terminal ring (not necessarily under the bolt head) will help. Do let us know what you find (or did if that fixes it and you are not sure what fixed it). Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Jimsey67
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/24/07 at 09:24:06

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Might only be 2 cents worth, but those a shiny pennies!

Thanks Greg!

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #12 - 03/24/07 at 11:13:51

Thanks for the replies, I had checked all the wires traced the starter circuit from one side to the other. Everything was good. As much as it sounds like I haven't I have had experience with this, physics and engineering in college. I haven't had a day off in a couple weeks, and have been doing this late at night, so that might have something to do  with it.
anyway,  this one was perplexing. So I started from the beginning and took the magneto cover off and checked the gears,  no binding. Tried to turn it over and no problems. Put the cover back on bolted it down and same problem. AH HA!

After all that I found one washer that I had put in the wrong spot that was binding the starter, starter gear, and starter clutch against the cover. Took about an hour to figure this all out, but I finally got it.

Put it all back together and she fired right up and purred, oh man she sounded good, and no more hot starter wire.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/24/07 at 12:02:01

glad to hear you fixed up a perplexing problem - would have been beyond me!Smiley

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #14 - 03/24/07 at 15:03:18

I also replaced the ground and positive battery cables with 4 gauge auto wires.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starter wire getting hot.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.