Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine/oil cooling thoughts (Read 16 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Engine/oil cooling thoughts
03/22/07 at 22:20:51

I keep wondering why there's no one thinking along the lines of extra cooling fins on the bottom and front of the transmission casing. They work pretty well for computer chips. What we want to do is just lower the engine/oil temps a few degrees, right? It's passive, non-intrusive and would seem to be a pretty easy thing to accomplish. Some heat sinks with fins an inch or so long, some heat transfer goop and a clip system to hold them in place. No holes to drill and tap and no oil pressure dilemas. We've already got fins on the cyl. head to wick heat away so someone somewhere thinks it's a good idea to that extent.

Of course this is an idea from someone who just couldn't wait to get his new tank powder coated "BEFORE" he was finished getting everything fitted into place. I'll get to live with the little nicks and dings for quite a while pondering that short sightedness. More thought time perhaps. Or maybe start hitting the surplus electronics stores to get some industrial cooling fins . . .[color=Red][/color]

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Re: Engine/oil cooling thoughts
Reply #1 - 03/22/07 at 23:18:54

I think that is a pretty good idea.  Most of those motors are 12V motors anyway (don't know about industrial size, but..)  Just hook up to a switch and turn on when in traffic or hot day.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 03/23/07 at 07:25:41

heat sinks might work, i always manage to get that white heat sink goop on everything with in arms reach, when i have to mess with it (elex tech 25yrs and counting). another advantage to the oil cooler, is the  additional oil in circulation.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 03/23/07 at 15:00:51

Quote:
another advantage to the oil cooler, is the  additional oil in circulation.

In addition, you provide direct cooling to the head and valve train in the form of cool oil...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/25/07 at 09:32:09

You could have one of those welded to the top edge of the oil filter cover.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 03/25/07 at 14:13:50

my suz gt 550 had a "ram air" shroud on the top of the tripple cyls..and have seen "scoops" botttom shrouds for h.d.s and others...to divert more air to the hot spots.
not sold on those concepts..
thermal mass/cooling surface area is added with fins /heat sinks.but you still need air movement for max cooling...jmo..
the nemesis of air cooled engines is lack of air flow...yes with sinks by convection youll have increased air flow but at a long traffic stops in high ambient temps not enough surface area for any real gain..
me thinks more coolant (by volume)is the path to cooler engine temps...in my v.w. (vasenboxen)days larger oil pans on modded engines were a necessity..
ls 650 >>    ever heard of one over heating at a stop?
read of one here the "blew" think lancer ended up with it. but cant remember the specifics...oil coolers are a fun  mod added oil volume is the real benny ...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 03/25/07 at 16:02:51

I remember my '65 Corvair Corsa, 140 horse, four one barrel carbs and a 4-speed. Back in those days down in Miaimi it was always good to go with the oversized oil pans that were available. And there were "fin kits pans" from some place I remember for the 'Vairs and the bugs. I've seen ads for finned pans for trucks for heavy towing chores for transmissilns and oil pans too. A few degrees here, a few there. It all adds up. Or subtracts, which is better of course.

JC

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 03/26/07 at 20:04:35

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I remember my '65 Corvair Corsa, 140 horse, four one barrel carbs and a 4-speed. Back in those days down in Miaimi it was always good to go with the oversized oil pans that were available. And there were "fin kits pans" from some place I remember for the 'Vairs and the bugs. I've seen ads for finned pans for trucks for heavy towing chores for transmissilns and oil pans too. A few degrees here, a few there. It all adds up. Or subtracts, which is better of course.  yes!!  our bike has no belt driven fan unlike air cooled autos..so the worst heat gain ( anyone know a math head to back me up??  lol )for us is at stops...

JC

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 03/26/07 at 20:05:42

third time one of my quotes did that...whatD i do??

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:29:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine/oil cooling thoughts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.